An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How Can I Speak Out Against Marijuana In School?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by Mypearl80, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Mypearl80

Mypearl80 Member

I am still in high school and I belong to a club called FCCLA. We speak out against drug abuse and driving while under the influence. One of the main targets in recent years has been Marijuana. Personally, I am not against adult usage but I am against teenage use.
    How can I help my club speak against the drug? How do we spread the word about teen marijuana use? Is teenage usage really all that wrong?
    KaseyHopeMartin likes this.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

To get your school mates to believe that marijuana abuse isn't good for them, you'll need to present evidence that will convince them. Compelling evidence that will dispel the myths about marijuana which they believe.

Here are some sites where you'll find the information you need:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/29/smoking-weed-could-cost-teens_n_6063600.html
    http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2014/08/regular-marijuana.aspx
    https://teens.drugabuse.gov/drug-facts/marijuana
    I hope this helps.
    KaseyHopeMartin and Mypearl80 like this.
  3. Mypearl80

Mypearl80 Member

This definitely helps! Thank you so much! The fact about teenagers being more likely to commit suicide is a new one I have not heard before. I think my FCCLA chapter will be able to use some of these sources. Thanks again!
    Rainman likes this.
  4. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

The problem is some teenagers are very stubborn. I knew many that were completely oblivious to the negative effects of drugs simply because they didn't care. You can tell them all you want and they'll carry on either because it's "cool" or their friends do it. That doesn't mean you can't try though because the more you tell them about the negative effects, the more the smart ones will listen.
  5. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I hope the suggestions that will be presented to the students will apply. In addition to what @SashaS said, some students may be under peer pressure or be living with parents who constantly take Marijuana and shut their ears to the warnings especially when they see no harm being done to those around who take them.

Usually, for people to learn, they have to witness or experience a near-death event for caution to be taken seriously.
  6. I think it's really great that you're taking on a war like this while you're still so young. I am personally very proud of you, and while I have nothing really to contribute (as everyone has already stated all of my ideas, and probably explained better than I could have explained it myself) I wanted to tell you what an awesome job you are doing. You are being a good role model and sometimes that's really all someone needs.

You can also be active against it by making friends who might be troubled. Go out of your way to make friends with someone who might seem like a 'loner' or a user, and try to be a good influence on them by occupying their time and giving them some company. Sometimes a good friend whose a good influence is all really someone needs.