An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How can I stop my addiction w/ Marijuana?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by leahcim132, Nov 28, 2014.

1. leahcim132

leahcim132 Member

I'll admit, I think I have an addiction with marijuana.
    It started of as casually smoking with friends, but then it escalated to me doing it whenever I have that craving.

I've tried going for days without it seems like I can't stop... please help.
    rabst likes this.
  2. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Try your best to get to a week or two without smoking. The first two weeks are always the most difficult because you're still very used to never feeling bored, but after a couple of weeks you can get used to being sober again. You'll still have some slight cravings but it will be very manageable.
  3. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Practice going as long as you can without it. Once you get used to doing so, lengthen those periods of time and keep doing so, so that you can go without even longer without it. When you feel bored, don't think about having a smoke - find something else to focus your mind on and try to keep yourself occupied in other ways instead. Don't hang around other people who are smoking and remove anything that reminds you of it from your surrounding environment.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Keep yourself busy. Occupy your time into something else that takes 100% of your time, effort, and brain power. That way you will never get bored or even begin to think about weed. Sweat it out and find something else constructive that you can be addicted to.
  5. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Let me commend you for admitting that you have a problem and that you're doing something about it.I think that's a crucial step in the right direction and through persistence and determination, you'll definitely succeed. I'll also urge you to seek a strong support structure and someone qualified to counsel you from time to time.
  6. dreeklass

dreeklass Member

Well they say that Marijuana is not n addictive substance. A lot of Marijuana smokers - including some of the people in my family - will disagree with that medical fact. I happen to agree with it. I have been smoking Marijuana for the last three years. It may be four. My finances are very slim. I can't afford it most of the time, and I don't suffer. In those times I just smoke normal cigarettes. Now, THOSE, i am addicted to.

Where weed is concerned, I feel like the addiction is more an emotional one. We tend to combine smoking it with things that we like to do, like watching movies, drawing, writing, making music. We make it a part of our routine. I think that that is what makes it so dangerous, to be honest.
  7. Sparkster

Yes, you are right - association has got a lot to do with it. Once you get into a habit of smoking it whilst doing something else, every time you do that thing you think about having a smoke. It's a psychological addiction and not a physical one. That is, most of it is in the mind meaning you CAN do something about it. The idea is to get back into the habit of NOT smoking whilst doing those things.
  8. rabst

rabst Active Contributor

Don't even think about using it!

I know---that seems kinda 'Don't think about Purple Serpents!' (where you're like "Now how can I NOT think about Purple Serpents?"), but ... it's like 'Catholic priests & sexual intercourse' (forgetting for a moment the infamous, child-violating ones). When they think about "what they're giving-up," their minds run to The Gospel---the reward for teaching fellow followers the Good News brought by Our Lord-Christ Jesus.

That reward--while sexual-intercourse does not make getting it 'impossible' (thank God)--makes sexual-intercourse 'a very small thing' (like nickels-&-dimes when you've got a bank-account-balance in the millions!)

Just 'get high' on life!---the clean air you're breathing (which I understand is much better to breathe when your lungs aren't clogged-up), the beautiful people in your life (either on public media or your friends & family), your health, all of nature, etc.
  9. Sparkster

I believe much of what you are trying to say basically comes down to conscious awareness - try to stay consciously aware of your own behaviour and your own thoughts. That way you will pick up on what it is that motivates you to smoke and you can work against it.
    rabst likes this.
  10. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Hi Lrshvim 132, it's been a while since you posted here and I am sitting here wondering if you are having any success with quitting. From everything I have seen and read it's not always an easy thing depending on how far in you are. I noticed you got some great advice here and hopefully, you are trying to put it to good use. Recognizing you have a problem was a step in the right direction. I am happy to leave you this bit of information I found of some practical ways to kick the habit.

http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Smoking-Pot/Weed
    rabst likes this.
  11. Nick Anthony

Nick Anthony Active Contributor

Well, it's also probably very difficult to stop, because you probably have easy access to it. Even if I had a craving for marijuana I would have to go on a mission just to get it. However, when I am back in my hometown it is much easier for me to get it. I don't, but you get what I mean. Also, you need to get away from people who use Marijuana, because you are the average of the five people you hang out with the most; therefore if all your friends smoke Marijuana when you guys are hanging out, then you will probably smoke with them as well. Only on one occasion was I able to stop smoking Marijuana when I was with three of my friends.

Basically, I was in a car with three other guys who were hot boxing a car. It was very difficult for me not to just give in and jump in the rotation, but I managed to refrain from smoking. I probably got a contact high, but it was definitely hard not to smoke. In sum, make it so that it's incredibly difficult for yourself to have access to get Marijuana.
  12. cheeto

cheeto Member

Try exercise or find a hobby you enjoy doing. I started playing musical instruments and whenever I feel the need I just go and practice. After a while I become so absorbed I don't think about how much I want to smoke anymore. Plus it makes me realize I'm far more creative when I'm sober than when I'm on the stuff.
  13. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I found that it wasn't the marijuana I was addicted to but the nicotine And the tobacco. When I decided to stop smoking weed I found that wasn't as hard as I thought, the problem was that I started smoking twice as many cigarettes as what I did before.

It was like I was trying to replace marijuana with tobacco and that went on for quite a few months to be honest.

While it's always a bad idea to replace one addiction with another, as anybody else ever tried to substitute weed for another substance?
  14. Alex Waite

Alex Waite Member

The idea that marijuana isn't addicting is ridiculous. Of course it is. It may not create the chemical dependence that heroin or nicotine creates, but it is still habit forming and creates a very real, very powerful psychological dependency. I have found that removing myself from places where marijuana is available was the only way I could quit. Once I didn't have friends around that I could get it from, I had to accept that I couldn't get it even if I wanted it, and that made it fairly easy.
  15. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

Just stay away from it, man. You can do it! :D
  16. nbts92

nbts92 Member

#1 Exercise – the common standard walking amount is 10,000 steps per day. Do it 3-4 times a week while you’re feeling bad and I’ll guarantee it will help. However, consider a walking buddy as you might be feeling paranoid.

#2 Only drink one small cup of coffee in the morning of a weak mix. This will dramatically cut down on panic attacks, shortness of breath, jitters, and heat palpitations. Start reducing your coffee consumption about 3 weeks before you stop smoking weed. No expresses or lattés!

#3 Drink lots of complex carbohydrates, such as juices. Cranberry juice supposedly strips out the internal lining of the bladder. I would think a variety would be best. But, watch out, some juices are far from 100% pure. I think I also read something about milk being good because of the vitamin D.
  17. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Agree that better to try to keep busy on other things just like having a sports or a hobby. Or spend more time with family and friends who influence you in the right way or those who would help you have a better life. It is a great thing that you want to quit and keep yourself motivated on it.
  18. tckc

tckc Member

Weed was my favorite drug and one I still have a lingering craving for sometimes, so I can really relate to your struggle.

What helped me the most was understanding that I wasn't really addicted to the substance as much I was a slave to a compulsion. Whenever I felt any discomforting feeling (which used to be very often), I needed immediately to find a substance to take that feeling away.

A lot of research suggests that addiction is an obsessive/compulsive disorder. A thought of the drug forms in our mind, and we cannot stop thinking about it (obsession) until we take the physical action of getting high to relieve it (compulsion). This cycle is perpetuated by rapidly falling neurotransmitter levels caused by coming down from the previous high. It gets to the point where we feel we don't have the power to stop anymore. Our brain even lies to us and tells us during a craving that we don't want to quit. It's super fascinating to think about how all this works.

I would really, really, suggest attending a few NA meetings in your area. I know it can seem awkward and kind of scary, but it is actually just a group of cool kids that used to get high. The meetings are no pressure and very uplifting.
  19. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

To be honest, I didn't know that one could get addicted to marijuana unless your propensity to be addicted to pretty much any substance is high. In your case, I would say first not to be around people who are smoking it if you really are trying to stop doing it.
  20. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

I agree with diprod, it is not exactly something that is addictive. But it would depend on the person still. Meditation is key. You will see the good results right after you did for 3 weeks straight.