An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How can music help addiction?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Betterways89, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Betterways89

Betterways89 Member

My aunt was an alcoholic and uses music to fight the earges to drink. I totally get how this helps her because I've been around Darla for many years. I would like to know from you on how music helped you loved one. Tell me many details that will make me want to tell my aunt, Darla.
  2. angelicagapit

angelicagapit Active Contributor

Music is great medicine. People are inspired by music in different ways actually. The beat of certain music can change the mood of a person, others just listen to the lyrics. For me, I literally listen to every part of the music. The instruments, lyrics, and even the emotions from the singer.

Music has helped me through so much and it keeps me alive. Thank God for this medicine to help me through hardships in life.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I use music production to keep my mind busy so I don't end up cycling bad thoughts in my head as well as preventing myself from getting bored enough to turn to my old bad habits. I also find it fulfilling to see the product of my labor so it gives me a sense of self fulfillment and confidence in myself which then drives me further away from the self hatred that often drives people to addiction and other bad actions.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is nice to know that she could manage to control herself or get away from drinking through music. I do believe that music can really helps since it can make one feel relaxed, motivated or better. Music can also help one get out of boredom and depression which can be the reasons of some to drink.
  5. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

Music can be honey for the years. Tons of people associate feelings with music and inspiration as well. It is used as a motivational factor sometimes and it can be good for anyone, addict or not.
  6. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

It keeps your mind occupied and it reduces your stress level. I know that high stress level and unoccupied mind can trigger your cravings. Back then, when I started to reduce my smoking frequency, I listened to a lot of music during stressful times (at work, on my walk around my neighbor, in my car), and it helped me relax so that I didn't have to smoke.

Granted, I also used food as another stress reliever and right now I am struggling with those new cravings for food. However, I found a new interest in jazz music and currently is using it to keep my stress level low so I don't need to depend on those foods.
  7. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

Music soothes even the most savage beasts. It is great therapy. Words are positive and inspirational. Many people have used music to get through tough situations. It is great medicine.
  8. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

Have to agree with that. Also music can be tied to certain emotions so people get different reactions.
  9. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

Music is a great inspiration for me. I personally know somebody who used this method to get out of alcoholism. I hope this works out for you! Here are a few I would recommend listening to :- Green Day, Pink, Taylor swift, etc.
  10. joshua minaya

joshua minaya Active Contributor

i support your aunt in what she is doing because music could be very therapeutic to the mind that is why i encourage her to listen to more music. Particularly i will recommend that she listens to music that keeps her feeling alive that way she would recover a bit more faster
  11. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Music can be quite a distraction. Puts you in a different mood and keeps you there. Happy or sad, whatever you are wanting to be. It can be a really good escape. I never thought about it to be something to keep you from addiction. I can see that. I just like to enjoy it.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think music can be both good and bad for recovery from addiction depending on the type! I know there are certain songs/genres that for me bring me right back to my days of drinking, so that tends to be stuff I avoid these days. In saying that though, there's a lot of inspirational music out there, with motivating and uplifting lyrics -that helps me a lot.
  13. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Choose songs with empowering and inspiring lyrics - one that will make you forget your own pain and realize that there are a lot of people who need more help than you do. One song I like to recommend is Matisyahu's One Day. It's a beautiful underrated song. People think it's just ordinary reggae but if you listen closely, it's one of only few songs that sum up life on earth and what we can do to make a difference. I would like to add that instrumental and new age genres like Enya's songs are soothing to the soul so you might want to try listening to them.