An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How Can You Recover From Alcohol Addiction?

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by hoffmanloretta, Apr 15, 2016.

1. [​IMG]
    Recovery lets you sculpture your life the way you want it to be. It is supposed to take you to a happy place from the maze that you are currently stuck in. Alcohol Addiction is like a world size maze. The roads and trials may deceive a path to get out of it but we finally end up letting ourselves deep into the maze, until we desire to come out of it with all our heart. Recovery is the happy phase where you actually solve your life’s mysterious puzzle and feel like the winner at the end!
    What happens when you consume alcohol?
    When you consume a drink, the alcohol is swiftly absorbed by the blood where twenty percent of it is taken up by your stomach and the rest eighty percent is absorbed in your small intestine. Once the alcohol is absorbed, it plunges into the bloodstream and is spread to every inch of the body.
    Liver acts as our savior as the majority (almost ninety percent) of the metabolism where the alcohol is broken down from a toxic material to water and carbon-dioxide. The rest ten percent is taken care by the kidney and lungs where the toxic substance is thrown out of the body through breath, urine or sweat.
    Our body keeps working meticulously with its self repair mechanism until the number of drinks we drain are under control. On an average the liver can break only a certain quantity of toxic substance like alcohol per hour. When alcohol is consumed at a rate higher than that with which our liver can cope, the physical effects of alcohol become evident. This phenomenon is keyed by the term Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC).
    Physical Influence of Alcohol Addiction:
    Alcohol becomes poisonous when the Blood Alcohol Concentration in a person reaches a level of 0.35 or more. In this case the person may fall into a coma or even die sometimes. Long term Alcohol Addiction may leave a permanent mark in our lives. Alcoholism shrinks our brain and its potential functions get disrupted due to this.
    A very common disorder that affects the people addicted to alcohol is the Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome. A disturbing fact about this syndrome is that only twenty percent of the cases are identified before death. The Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome often causes permanent brain damage in a person who has acquired it.
    Read More...Alcoholism
  2. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

Thanks for sharing those facts about alcohol addiction. I never knew the one about it shrinking the brain. I guess that relates to adults as well as alcohol-related birth defects. Hopefully this valuable information will help someone considering recovery to finally make that decision. And the next step after the decision is taking action. Great post!
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am also not aware of that shrinking of the brain but I do know that it really affects the mind. Being addicted to anything is really bad. Some might think that alcohol is harmless as being advertised or marketed but it was not the real case especially in the long run.
  4. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

Thanks for sharing all this great information! It's important to share all the data you can get your hands on so the people who need it can find it.
  5. Mara

Mara Community Champion

It's always good to provide information to others so that they would be informed about the effects of the substances that they take. Some might still take those information for granted, but as long as a number of people listen, no matter how few, then I'll take it as a triumph.

Thanks for sharing. :)
  6. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Thanks for sharing all those facts, I didn't know that much about how alcohol reacts in our bodies, it's scary! I think there were a couple of times in the past in which I was close to alcohol poisoning. Really scary indeed and a good reminded of hy it's so important to stay sober and never give into the temptation.
  7. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

As I always say the only way is to find the reason. Set your goals, set your priorities and follow them. I found some kind of love and I hope it will keep me away from addictions like alcohol. It is going quite well for now. Before that happened I decided to have a change and my thoughts went only there so everything I did was to reach that goal. It sounds easy but when you have to work some dirty job and listen to some pissed off boss for no reason all day long then the importance of your goal is visible and the will to follow it of course.