An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How Cautious are You?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by gracer, Apr 29, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

This is true! Especially when it comes to heart medications because coffee, wine, tea or even soda can be contradicting to these kinds of drugs. Taking note of drug contraindications is vital before taking in anything. As you said, it can be life threatening if you don't know anything about what you are taking.
  2. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I'm definitely in the cautious/a little too cautious, but I was making a joke lol.
    Zyni likes this.
  3. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

That's true. It's really difficult sometimes but I guess you can be more cautious than that. Anyone who struggles with obsessions also can get caught up with it very easily. The "what if" thinking basically.
    gracer likes this.
  4. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

It's all good. I'm just one of "those" people.. the type who questions things. lol Most doctors aren't too fond of having their instructions questioned. They just want you to shut up and take the meds. I'm not a shut up and do it type of person. I don't like to take meds I don't need, and I really hate it when they try to put my kids on unneeded medication.

One doctor kept trying to push asthma medicine on my kids, even though they didn't have asthma or any other reason for needing it, so this tends to be a sore spot for me. I finally got tired of hearing it, so I let her write the prescription up and I just didn't fill it. Then, I called the insurance and switched primaries on the way home from her office.
    gracer likes this.
  5. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I haven’t been prescribed too many medications, but I definitely err on the cautious side whenever that does happen. I’m not one who thinks I’ll succumb to every side effect listed, but I like to know what’s going into my body, and whether it might interact with something I’m already taking or consuming.
    gracer likes this.
  6. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

It's true that being cautious is not a sin. You shouldn't really trust something just like that. But even something good, if done too much, becomes problematic. You don't want to become a person always worried your prescription is dangerous. Everything with good measure!
    gracer likes this.
  7. kylerlittle

Haha totally.
  8. kylerlittle

Absolutely. Can you explain what you meant by prescription though, I'm interested because your words seem really wise.
  9. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

By prescription, I mean any kind of medication you might be prescribed by your doctor. Sometimes people become too suspicious of anything they have to take, that it might be dangerous, that it might have bad side effects. Yes, most medications do have occasional side effects but that is no reason to panic and live in paranoia that any pill you take will do you harm.
    gracer likes this.
  10. Matthodge1

I think you'll be fine, but just don't do anything stupid haha.
  11. Matthodge1

I had a teacher that used to say that anything can be good with moderation. That last sentence reminded me of him lol.
  12. Matthodge1

Haha, it's alright. Everyone is different! That sucks that the doctor kept trying to push the medication on your children, though. I now can understand why you have a sore spot whenever it comes to this topic.
    Zyni likes this.
  13. sazzydan

sazzydan Active Contributor

I always research any new drug because doctors do not tell you everything there is to know about the medication they are giving you, I do not think you can be too cautious. Just recently my doctor changed my pain medication and I had a horrible reaction to it, but I would not have really known the warning signs unless I had researched it first, so I am very glad I did.

I do not think caution is a bad thing at all and you can always ask your doctor if you have found something that you do not like the look of!
    gracer and Zyni like this.
  14. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Now I'veusually got no issue with taking prescription medication but I'll always have a little read up on it before I take the first dose, just so I knwo what I'm letting myself in for. I never read too much though, researching drugs and illnesses on the internet can get quite disconcerting.
    gracer likes this.
  15. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

When I was younger and dumber and high all the time, I was prescribed both benzos and amphetamine. I abused the hell out of them. While that was my fault, I now realize that giving a drug abuser free recreational drugs is not very smart. I always research any drug I get prescribed before even thinking about taking it.
    gracer likes this.
  16. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

That's for sure. It's like going down a rabbit hole, especially for some people. Soon, they think they have every rare disease and want to take all manner of meds. It can get overwhelming in a hurry, even for non-hypochondriacs as well.

I do like to know what I'm taking, and that I absolutely need to take it, but I don't need to spend too long reading up.
    gracer likes this.
  17. Matthodge1

That's how I used to be, but there were people that were around me that got hooked on the stuff, so now I am extremely reluctant to take any whatsoever.
  18. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

For me, it comes naturally to be cautious about the side effects of any pill that has been prescribed to me by a physician. My body is sensitive to any side effects and i remember once where i had a violent reaction to a drug that contained sulfur components.
    gracer likes this.
  19. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

I research every medication that I am prescribed extensively before I use it. I ask my doctor, my nurse, my pharmacist, and any family and friends that may use it questions about side effects. I like to know if it is cleared through the liver or the kidneys, if it damages either and what the interactions are between my diet and other medications. I ask for and read information handouts on medications from both my doctor and pharmacist in addition to researching medications online.
    gracer likes this.
  20. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I always check the side effects of a new medication! I didn't do this in the past, but after having a really bad reaction to an antibiotic (banned in a lot places, excepting where I live) I started doing it. By the way, the antibiotic I'm talking about is known as ''Norfloxacin'' and it's known to cause awful things, like for example permanent nerve damage in legs and arms... as well as tendonitis D:

Yeah, terrible! So ever since I do check everything before taking it. Because most of the times doctors won't tell you about the side effects! I don't know why, I guess they can't be bothered? They don't know? So I search online :) I don't trust doctors anymore. I just don't.
    gracer likes this.