An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How Cautious are You?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by gracer, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Amen! Doctors and nurses often make a lot mistakes, they are professionals, but day in and day out they get to see so many patients! You can't expect them to remember everything you have told them or to check your entire medical file the first time you see said doctor. That is why I always tell the doctor the most important things, like for example what meds I'm on, what surgeries I've had, etc.

I think it's also important to educate one self, specially when you are diagnosed with something chronic. I've learnt that doctors (some more than others) tend to miss the right diagnosis more than once. I don't trust the judgement of most of them, specially when it comes to CT scans and x-rays! Can you believe most doctors I've seen claim the ionizing radiation from a CT scan is minimal and poses no risk to develop cancer?
    gracer likes this.
  2. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Awww! Sorry to hear that you experienced a terrible side effect with a prescribed medication. This just goes to show that it doesn't hurt to do a little research before we introduce anything to our body. Antibiotics can even cause immediate death to a person once he/she experiences allergic reaction to the drug. The worst that could happen which could lead to death is when a person experiences difficulty of breathing which is a sign of impending respiratory shock. I know that doctors receive a certain percentage on the medicine brands that they prescribe which could explain why they prescribe specific brands to patients.
  3. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I always look it up. I used to so I could see if the warnings had words like "euphoria" or "may intensify the affects". If they didnt I put them in my pile of unused meds. If they did I would look up interactions, not with things that were prescribed, but the things I can't tell my doctor about.
    gracer likes this.
  4. Tremmie

I actually had that, I was having trouble to breathe and my limbs started to feel kinda funny. I was fine after the first dose, it was the third dose the one that made me run to the ER. Because I started to lose sensitivity in my hands and legs!!! I also felt a weird tingling sensation. I started to feel a bit dizzy as well.

I'm glad I didn't take more than just 2 doses, I read one dose is enough to increase your risk of tendonitis for 6 months or more. Plus permanent nerve damage... I pray the pains I've been having in my arms and legs lately are not a result of that!
  5. gracer

I hope so too because it can actually be a legal matter for the doctor who prescribed that medicine to you. If it turns out that you're now feeling those pains because of that then the doctor could be suid for negligence. The fact that you were rushed to the ER because of the immediate adverse effects of the medication is already a case in itself.
  6. kana_marie

The worst side effect I hav ever experienced was with Nortriptolyn. It was an antidepressant that could help with migraines. It didnt do either one of those, but I wok up the day after I took it and my shoulders and hips were really sore. The next day my elbows and knees were added to the hurting shoulders and such. The next day it was down to my toes and fingers. Literally, every joint in my body was on fire. The side effects did mention possible joint pain, but there was no way of knowing that was going to happen.
  7. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

I tend to be very to extremely cautious when taking drugs of any kind. My wariness level depends on the potential severity of the side-effects, and what past experiences people had with the drug. If I must take it, I will. But if I can avoid taking a prescription, I will attempt to do as much as I can. Remember, most drugs are concentrated, and are bad for the body if taken too much. You don't want to become dependent on it.
    gracer likes this.
  8. Tremmie

Yeah, that doctor retired just a few weeks ago. Now I'm not even sure if this pain is related, because it could also be caused by celiac (I suspect I have that - no diagnosis yet). If that was the case I'd not hesitate to sue that guy, doctors need to think twice before they prescribe something. Specially something with so many side effects! Nasty ones!!!
    gracer likes this.
  9. gracer

@kana_marie Ouch! That would have hurt a whole lot. Instead of acting as a relief for pain (for migraine that is), it actually caused you more pain than cure. I feel sorry that you had to experience such thing with a prescribed medication.

@Tremmie I guess you have to do a consultation then. So if you find out that your symptoms are not really due to Celiac disease then that doctor is definitely not off the hook.
  10. kana_marie

Lesson learned, ya know. What I did learn from that experience is do not keep taking it after something iffy happens. I should have stopped when it was my shoulders and hips.
    gracer likes this.
  11. Tremmie

I will, I have a very important appointment tomorrow (I've been feeling very uneasy and nervous because of that this last week), but I will talk about my suspicion tomorrow. I'll ask the doctor to get me tested fro celiac. That would explain a lot of things! I hope isn't the case, but we will see! I don't like the idea of changing my diet, but if it's necessary I will... By the way, I just noticed a suspicious rash on my chest some days ago... it does look like a celiac rash :( Gets worse after I eat bread... it seems :(
  12. gracer

I wish you luck on that. I hope your suspicions are wrong. Adjustment would be a little hard so I'm hoping for the best for you.
  13. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

I rate me pretty much cautious. I never try something that is new or not nell documented. I always wait that the others first try it and then I see the consequences (pretty selfish this behavior but I take care of myself :p). As I said before if something isn't documented about what ingredients are in I won't try it for anything in the world.
    gracer likes this.
  14. rightct

rightct Community Champion

The medication prescription doesn't thoroughly state those horrendous side effects attached to the drug because it wouldn't sell. I always do research on the Internet and read testimonials from people that have already tried the medication before, so I would have an idea of what it causes to your body. Since I'm doing this, I can see most of them have only a placebo effect upon me.
    gracer likes this.
  15. I believe it's extremely important to research any prescription or non-prescription drug extensively before taking them. This is also something you should always bring up with your doctor before walking out of their office with Rx in hand. So many prescription drugs can cause negative side-effects when mixed with other prescriptions and natural supplements. For example, Passion Flower Extract, commonly used to relieve symptoms of anxiety and insomnia, should not be taken with many commonly prescribed prescriptions as it causes negative side-effects. When in doubt, ask questions and research online. Shortcuts should never be taken when it comes to your well-being.
    gracer likes this.
  16. kianthras

kianthras Member

I honestly tend not to be overly cautious when it comes to what my Dr. is prescribing. I trust that my doctor knows what he is doing and warns me of possible consequences. At this point I am not allergic to anything and don't have any major complications in my life to consider when prescribing anything. I trust my doctor to give me whats due. Now that being said, I also check to make sure what he actually gave me is what we spoke about.
    gracer likes this.
  17. dmathon

dmathon Member

I am extremely cautious when taking any medication. Thankfully I have a doctor who is not quick to prescribe a medication and likes to take more of a holistic approach. Research everything and anything to remain informed, unfortunately some doctors prescribe like its candy and half the time it is not needed. If I must go on medication and learn the negative side effects, I usually stop. I don't feel that putting my body in such a position is needed. I am just someone who hates to take medicine in general, I hate to take Tylenol for a headache so I just bare the pain.
    gracer likes this.
  18. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I don't take medication to treat myself or hide pain. I don't even take cold or headache medicine. After I gave birth I refused to fill my pain medication prescription and I NEVER take antibiotics. The funny thing is that I have taken meds leisurely. If I wanted a pick me up to party all night I would pop a Ritalin. If I wanted to zonk out I would take a Xanax. I have never been dependant on scripts because I have never regularly used them. I think there is greater risk of addiction when a person is told by a doctor that they NEED to take a drug regularly. Once you become accustomed to using, it's harder to quit and a prescription gives you easy access.
    gracer likes this.
  19. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

Haha, cautious to the point my family and doctor probably get incredibly annoyed with me sometimes. I've turned down many meds after reading about the withdrawal effects and side effects or just because I didn't want to become dependent on one more thing.
    gracer likes this.
  20. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I am very cautious about this. I do not trust prescription drugs at all. I wont say that I would never use them because I will but I am as careful as I can be. I mean some of them have more harmful side effects than the illness you are suffering with.
    gracer likes this.