An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How Cautious are You?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by gracer, Apr 29, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Exactly! :) Some medications can harm a person more than the illness being acted upon. It is also very crucial to be aware of your own allergies and possible reaction with specific drugs. Caution, as long as it is in the right amount is an act of protection and should not be viewed as an act of paranoia.
  2. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think so, it is important to see what the medication is and also will it work the way it states it will as sometimes some medications work and some don't work the way they are stated to work. I usually check, and read on the internet about the medicine and see what are the reviews like and also are the results good as well. I ask questions about what I can eat or drink when taking the medicine, as if you take alcohol then it can cause fatal results and ruin a person as well in the process.
    gracer likes this.
  3. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Well yes that is always a good idea. Sometimes though you have to just tough it out. It depends upon the health issue. I had to take an antibiotic for something; which I prefer not to do, but I read the pamphlet several days into it. It was not good. I had to take it though. You can detox this out afterwards which is a good idea you don't want to keep that in your body.
    gracer likes this.
  4. 6up

6up Community Champion

I only take drugs prescribed by the doctor. I do not like taking over the counter drugs. If they have any side effects, I usually report it to the doctor.
    gracer likes this.
  5. derktb14

derktb14 Member

I am very cautious when it comes to prescription drugs especially because I have a couple of allergies to certain medicines. I am always asking the doctor about every medicine he/she prescribes to me. There was a time when they almost gave me a prescription that would have caused me to swell up in the throat area. So now I take extra precaution and always ask before they give me anything.
    gracer likes this.
  6. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Speaking of allergies, my neighbor's sister who has been admitted to the hospital for treatment of her breast cancer has been prescribed of an antibiotic. I don't really know what exactly happened but when they injected her the drug she suddenly developed a reaction. It turned out she was allergic to the drug after all. Good thing she was immediately treated for her allergic reaction. Whatever things took place before and during the administration of the medication was a clear indication of negligence on the part of the medical team.
  7. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

Better safe than sorry. I read labels to see how many pills or ml I need to take per day and for how long I need to be on that medication. I usually don't read negative side effects or other stuff written, only if I start feeling sick or worse.
    gracer likes this.
  8. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

I am very cautious, and will never take anything where a possible side effect is addiction. I know myself too well, and now I just know that I cannot risk it anymore, because of what has happened to me in the past. My doctor would never prescribe me anything like that anyway, so it isn't all that bad, but I just know that I shouldn't be taking them - so I stay well away. I always try to do without strong pain killers as well whenever I can, and usually I manage to avoid them.
    gracer likes this.
  9. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

I do research on the drugs that I'm prescribed for. However, I limit my research to what the drug does and whether it is connected to the illness to which it is prescribed, its side-effects and interactions and so on. I still take the medication as prescribed.

I don't overly worry about a drug's chemical composition, long term effects so on and so forth. The doctor is a subject expert and some trust should still be reposed in his/her word.
    gracer likes this.
  10. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I am so cautious that I do not like taking perscription meds. By me not enjoying the fact that I have to take them, I read all the fine print. For the most part, I do not trust them. Don't get me wrong though I will take them if I need to use them.
    gracer likes this.
  11. GabinoTapia

GabinoTapia Active Contributor

I try to be cautious with most medications, because most could be bad for your health. I always do some research and find out what people who have used the same medications have to say about them. There are some good medications that may cause some not so bad consequences, but one can never know what could happen because everyone is different in a way. One should always know what they are going to be using before they are actually using it.
    gracer likes this.
  12. MoneyFiend

MoneyFiend Member

I will avoid prescription medication unless I am in a life threatening situation. Long term it seems I would be weakening my immune system. It puzzles me as to why the majority of people are perscribed drugs and carelessly agree without investigating what they are putting into their bodies.
    gracer likes this.
  13. cabrannon529

cabrannon529 Member

I am very cautious. Prescription drugs can be just as dangerous as hard, illegal drugs when misused. I do extensive research before I put anything in my body. I don't want to misuse a prescription accidentally and have long lasting negative side effects because of it.
    gracer likes this.
  14. Mzpeaceful1

Mzpeaceful1 Active Contributor

My old doctor used to get mad at me for looking everything up on the internet, but hey, this is my body and after having some really horrible things happen to me I'm not ever taking chances about what goes in to my body. I look up the side effects, the drug interaction with any of the other medications or vitamins I am taking...yes, vitamins and supplements can badly interact with some medications, even fatally. It's crazy the stuff our doctors don't tell us. Remember for every prescription that they write, they are making money. Don't ever forget that and take care of you first!
  15. lilfaerie28

lilfaerie28 Active Contributor

I have had so many strange, horrible side effects that when I take a new prescribed drug, I usually half it. One doctor prescribed me 1 mg Xanax, and broke it in half. I took one and was passed out for hours! Lesson learned. I have stopped drinking all together because I ended up in the hospital after drinking and taking a Percoset. It was awful. I couldn't stop throwing up.
  16. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I always try to find a alternative with lesser side effects. Most drugs have too many side effects in my opinion. Why take something that's suppose to cure a problem just to give you another one. It's good that your cautious. I would look for more holistic alternatives myself.
  17. Before I started taking prescribed medication, I was extremely hesitant to do so. I am not someone who will just take any medicine. I was always taught to be careful with it. When it came to taking medication, I was afraid of what possible negative side effects would affect me. Thankfully, my doctor encouraged me to give it a try. I tried a few different ones, and now I am on one that I have been taking for about a year. It all comes down to knowing as much information as you can.
  18. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I rarely use any drugs. Only when everything else fail i go to see a doctor. This is because i am not very fond of modern medicine. I have my reasons for that and first is Serbian doctors. When i was i kid i had bronchitis all the time. My doctor used to give me antibiotics for a regular cold. When catch a cold he gives me antibiotics. That is absolutely insane. Now when i catch a cold i make a herbal tea, i eat honey and lemon...Before i catch a cold i drink vitamins. Mostly vitamin C because it is very good for immune system. Enough of that, recently i had some bacteria in my throat and i went to see a doctor. He gave me the wrong medicine and if i didn't check it like i always do i could have been ina big problem because the drug he gave me had a substance i am allergic to. He just made a mistake, he told me he was sorry and that is it. Always check!
  19. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

There does need to be a healthy respect for medication. I mean, yes, it can do wonders but can also cause many problems. Aside from side effects, many types of meds also cause dependence. It's just something that's always made me think twice. I don't like taking medication unless I really need to. Sometimes, though, you do need it.
  20. xeylonfm

xeylonfm Member

Indeed everyone needs to be cautious about the side effects that drugs can have on them. It’s an industry standard that all drugs are labelled of all side effects that they may have on an individuals in the most elaborate way. You will always find a lose paper that outlines all of this in detail but unfortunately, we do ignore this information most of the time. However when it comes to the side effects of a drug, it all comes down to the availability of equally effective drugs that are able to tackle the ailment without any concerns. You may find that you have an ailment that requires drug A yet it has some side effects on you. Then there is alternative drug B that is not as effective as drug A. The treatment however requires that you are administered drug A because it has elevated to a complex index in which drug B is rendered highly ineffective. In this case the medical condition will have to be weighed against the side effects and the one that seems higher in value shall be given precedence. So I think it all comes to the medical examination and not the patient’s view.