An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How cocaine is made (educational purposes)

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by philthegoat, Mar 10, 2016.

1. philthegoat

philthegoat Active Contributor

The first stage of making cocaine is to finely chop the leaves and dust them with lime or carbonate salt along with a small amount of water. Some manufacturers will use a leaf mulcher to complete this process, others will do it by hand. Next kerosine or diesel fuel is then added to the coca leaf and lime/salt mixture and vigorously stirred for up to three days. This removes the cocaine from the leaf into the liquid. Occasionally this is done using a washing machine or cement mixer. Poorer manufacturers will do this by hand.

Once the cocaine has been extracted, the liquid is heated to remove any wax from the coca leaves, then filtered to separate it from the vegetable matter. There will typically be a large amount of liquid that is then mixed with sulfuric acid and mixed again. The acid converts the cocaine free base to cocaine sulfate. The mixture is allowed to sit to allow the separation of the cocaine sulfate which is then mixed with lime or caustic soda. The addition of these chemicals neutralizes the sulfuric acid and the filtered chemical is a gummy, yellow solid. This paste is dried, packaged and shipped to a further laboratory for further extraction and handling.
    MsLucy likes this.
  2. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

3. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I was always curious about the nature of how the manufacture cocaine without being caught. I understand that there are drug dens hidden in remote areas and underground homes, but I'm sure that in some countries, the government has some sort of deal with illegal manufacturing plants that allow drug dealers to mass produce illegal substances. Its strange to think that I once assumed most drugs were just made from a plant, but its interesting how so many ingredients are contained in them.
  4. kgord

kgord Community Champion

How cocaine is made is something truly I never thought about. I learned a little bit about the process of making Meth from Breaking Bad. Since I never had any interest in trying cocaine, how it was manufactured never really held any interest for me. However, it is interesting to know.
  5. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

No wonder why this substance is so potent. Those chemicals such a diesel oil or kerosene should really have an adverse effect on the circulatory system. I am wondering if some of the cocaine users would have taken the cocaine in the first instance had they known that kerosene or fuel oil was included in the mix.
    WannaBfree and JonnyMacdonald like this.
  6. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

When you said they pour kerosene or diesel fuel on the coca leaves, I was so surprised. So many people consuming cocaine have been consuming fuel all along - and diesel to boot. It's one of the least environment-friendly fuels out there, emitting soot particles that pollute the air. My goodness. Excessive cocaine use doesn't just addle the brain, it pollutes your body's system, debilitating your health in the long run.
  7. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

As a former heavy user I can answer this one.
    They don't care. They just want to get high. We know it's bad for us, but we do it anyways because that's what we do. Or we are in complete denial saying that these are just lies that people tell us.
    It's a very surreal sub-culture that I am glad I no longer participate in.

But thinking about it, I imagine like many other solvents used in industrial production, most of the gasoline/kerosene whatever either evaporate or are removed. BUT I highly doubt there are nothing nasty left in the mix.
    Don't forget about all the harmful junk that's added to cocaine prepped for distribution so the pushers can make an extra buck.
  8. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I did not know about this. But then even if I knew this what would I do with the information on cocaine manufacturing process. I have a question though, is cocaine harmful in itself or becomes harmful during the refinement process. What are the harmful substance found in cocaine.
  9. MsLucy

MsLucy Active Contributor

Oh my gosh, I had no idea everything that goes into making cocaine. This has me in deep thought. I mean, I definitely wouldn't snort kerosene. I can only imagine what my insides must look like. I want to weigh the pros and the cons, but in the state I'm in I would find a way to make the pros stick better than the cons. I read that the coca plant and leaves are already potent. I don't know the potency. I'm guessing not enough to have any noticeable affects if they go through all of these steps to make it into the substance we're familiar with.
  10. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I am wondering about the genius used to manufacture these narcotics. The chemistry behind it is no doubt complex. The process itself looks crude and clandestine. I think the researchers involved in such nefarious activities are necessarily the products of a mercenary educational system which lays too much emphasis on the content at the disadvantage of the form.
    MsLucy likes this.
  11. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I second remnant on how smart minds are unfortunately being used on such bad things. You really wouldn't expect a bunch of well educated, sophisticated scientists to be sitting in a lab making a drug that only does one thing and that is kill people. Its a waste of knowledge and I hope that these scientists realize this and instead spend their time and knowledge creating something to help people cope with cocaine addiction.

Rather use your brilliant mind for good, even if the personal gain is not as prospective as you want it to be, just know that your actions have serious consequences when you do bad things like this.
  12. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think that it is amazing how cocaine is made and also how the things in it are kerosene or diesel which is something many may not be aware of which is quite shocking and in the places where the manufacturers don't have access to labs may be throwing in what they can as they know that people will just get high anyway. It is important to see the bad effects of this drug as it can be addictive like wrestlers do use this, and it is amazing how they were still able to fight in the ring while having this drug in their system which is shocking. I hope that the world wakes up and sees how this drug can ruin lives and is not a friend and a foe which is destroying the person and the body of the person which causes pain to them and not good for the health.
  13. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

After reading the post I was thinking the same thing. What's even more interesting is how people came up with this method of extraction. I wonder if it was through trial and error or they actually did some lab experiments.
  14. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

Thanks for the information. I never really looked up the process or anything. I never even really considered how it was made. It looks pretty interesting and time consuming. I am still not sure why it's manufactured but oh well.
  15. Elendil

Elendil Active Contributor

Well, at first, cocaine was created to be used in medicine, as a numbing agent to use during painful operations of the mouth and nose. So the process of extracting and distilling the drug was pioneered by medical scientists and doctors. But when the serious side effects came to light, along with the introduction of much safer and more potent drugs, cocaine was discarded as a medical agent. At some point during this time, it started being used as a recreational drug... which, over the years, has culminated to this point in its abuse by the common people.
  16. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

So it's no different to most substances that are abused. Even something that is as common as distilled liquor started of as rubbing alcohol and was never drank, but now drinking it is one of it's main uses.
  17. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Kerosine, diesel fuel, and sulfuric acid? They're all there in the mix? No wonder cocaine is so dangerous. I wouldn't even try sniffing any of those, let alone touch anything that has all three as ingredients.
  18. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Not knowing how trustworthy a source is.... is one of the main reasons I stay away from it. Some people add some really nasty stuff. It's like gambling with your life, specially if you use often. If I am not mistaken they had a problem with adulterated cocaine a couple years ago in Amsterdam. They were publicly warning everyone not to buy cocaine for that reason.
  19. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Thе wоrd сосаinе rеfеrs tо thе drug in а pоwdеr fоrm оr сrystаl fоrm. Thе pоwdеr is usuаlly mixеd with substаnсеs suсh аs соrn stаrсh, tаlсum pоwdеr аnd/оr sugаr оr оthеr drugs suсh аs prосаinе (а lосаl аnеsthеtiс) оr аmphеtаminеs.

Еxtrасtеd frоm соса lеаvеs, сосаinе wаs оriginаlly dеvеlоpеd аs а pаinkillеr. It is mоst оftеn sniffеd, with thе pоwdеr аbsоrbеd intо thе blооdstrеаm thrоugh thе nаsаl tissuеs. It саn аlsо bе ingеstеd оr rubbеd intо thе gums.

Tо mоrе rаpidly аbsоrb thе drug intо thе bоdy, аbusеrs injесt it, but this substаntiаlly inсrеаsеs thе risk оf оvеrdоsе. Inhаling it аs smоkе оr vаpоr spееds аbsоrptiоn with lеss hеаlth risk thаn injесtiоn.
  20. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

Who ever figured this stuff out? It's always puzzling to me how anyone figured out how to produced some of these drugs that sound like science projects. Drugs like marijuana are just plants they grow under light. Nothing difficult to understand there, but these drugs that require a bunch of other chemicals to produce are odd to me.