An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How cocaine is used.

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by philthegoat, Mar 10, 2016.

1. philthegoat

philthegoat Active Contributor

The routes of cocaine administration consists of inhaling, snorting, injecting, or smoking. There is an extrmemly great risk, regardless of the method of use. Compulsive cocaine use may develop even more rapidly if the substance is smoked rather than snorted. Smoking allows extremely high doses of cocaine to reach the brain very quickly and brings an intense and immediate high. The injecting drug user is at risk for acquiring or transmitting HIV infection/AIDS as well as Hepatitis C if needles or other injection equipment are shared.
  2. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

Thanks for the information; all ways of use are dangerous to the body. There is nothing useful about taking cocaine and would not advice anyone to go down that dangerous path.
  3. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

I am not knowledgeable on cocaine or its uses other than what I've seen in movies. If inhaling and smoking are shown I always thought it was marijuana.

I've seen documentaries that have shown areas of the body that are injected that wouldn't be noticed unless examined closely. It makes me wonder how the producers manage to find willing subjects for documentaries like that and if they pay them for it.
  4. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

This is very true of many drugs actually, my friend.
    The primary method of cocaine usage, in North America anyways is insufflation, or via the nose.
    Smoking is more common for the crack version of cocaine, sometimes people will mix coke with tobacco or pot.
    Injecting is very uncommon, unless you are already an IV drug user.
    The others are sort of on the fringes, or at least that's how it was when I was using I doubt it has changed.

Another method that is never talked about is rectally! Yup you can take drugs like cocaine up your bottom and it will still work, some say it's stronger that way but in all my life as a user I have never actually met someone who has tried it.
    Just something we used to joke about.
    Mara and MrsJones like this.
  5. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

@JonnyMacdonald. How gross but I guess it would be no different than using a suppository or an enema which is still gross but sometimes necessary.
  6. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

It's insane the different ways that people come up with to use this stuff. I always snorted it and had no intentions of doing it any other way. I had tonsss of friends who would inject it, but that was just because they would mix it with other things.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Using cocaine is very dangerous no matter how you administer it, specially if your cocaine is highly adulterated. There was an incident in Amsterdam a couple years ago, the tourists were publicly warned about this. So consuming cocaine during that time was so dangerous. I'll never understand why people are using that thing... the people who produce it can mix it with almost anything... you could be the first causality! Just like it happened in Amsterdam.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  8. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I've heard about this too. Some say that when taken rectally, it will have a faster onset because the anus is more absorbent than the nose or the mouth.
  9. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

It can be taken via smoking and most of the people use this method to reach high much faster than any other method. Cocaine is one of the most dangerous drugs in the world. People should not use it at all. It is already destroying the lives of many people. I am glad we can share information about this drug on this forum. Through this forum, we are making people aware of the danger of cocaine.
  10. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I also heard the same about the difference. They say that crack is more addictive because of the way it's taken. Either way cocaine can do damage over a period of time no matter how you take it. Cocaine is really nothing to play with, and selling it is just as dangerous as using it.
  11. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

Methods of administration greatly impact the efficacy and potency of most drugs. How does this pertain to recovery though?
  12. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

I guess all information is good information but I'm not entirely sure how it fits the topic. Maybe it will be good for assessing the way someone has taken cocaine inside their body if we ever meet that scenario. Thanks for the information.
  13. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I know a lot of people think that this is a safe drug to take because you are not injecting, but using a crack pipe and snorting are just as bad for your body. They both do some serious damage to your nose and your lungs.
  14. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

Any injectable drug terrifies me. Which is the most common form? I would guess snorting it is the most common form. That's what you always see in movies.
  15. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

Being injectable doesn't make it worse necessarily. Focusing on the delivery method over the actual problem is a mistake. The drug abuse is the problem and is equally bad regardless of delivery method used.
  16. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I wasn't commenting that one is worse that the other in terms of the effect on the user. I just cringe at the thought of using needles. I'm not too fond of snorting anything, but that seems more palatable to me than injecting something into a vein.
  17. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I have never had any interest in something like cocaine. I mean anything that is that risky to your personal health to me seems crazy. I am sure it feels wonderful when you are actually using it but it is not worth putting your life at stake to get any kind of high in my opinion.
  18. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Some of the kids at my school are into cocaine, (I know its sad...) and they have always joked around about it in class by sniffing sugar molecules and such during lunches. It can be really distracting and inappropriate.
  19. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Active Contributor

It's really scary, especially the injecting part when you're at risk of getting other diseases along with the pain of addiction. I read somewhere that snorting is dangerous as well as it might block the nasal pathway.
  20. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

It's sad when you see a user adopt more and more risky practices when it comes to administering their drug of choice. Injecting obviously runs the risk of blood borne disease if you are sharing needles, and smoking, as we see with things like "crack mouth" can cause irreversible damage to bodily health.