An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How cocaine took my friend away

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by Martha, May 7, 2015.

1. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

I am so sorry to hear about you're friend that has passed away, my condolences.
    I hope that Jim will rest in peace.
  2. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

Anyone who can begin a statement with "I had a friend who was an addict", seriously needs to feel good about that says about them. Its hard for addicts to find people who care enough to be their friends while they're in the throws of addiction. I would even go as far as to say thats more like family than friends.
  3. darkfiendje

darkfiendje Member

Im sorry too hear this, i have some friends who uses daily now including some relatives, i just dont know what to do to stop them.
    They see it as normal.
    I hope one day they come around since it cost me a year or 2 to really enjoy life without.
    Drugs a re bad its true
  4. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Don't believe everything you hear. Did he really have an addiction or were you obsessed with helping someone you wanted to control. Addiction, obsession and the human mind are all connected. If you see someone has an addiction right in front of you with your very eyes. It affects them it affects others this a clean clear cut addiction. Many people who are not addicts but the police for addicts are completely oblivious to the part they play. You are responsible for yourself and you alone. Your mind and whole being is a universe. When one obsessively imposes these thoughts of he's an addict, he has to stop, how can I help him. This is terrible and all of this. You create with the power of your universe. Love that man, love his universe. Subscribing to condemning another person because you think he is a cocaine addict is MAKING HIM MORE SO. You enter the realm of another person's universe and become part of their creation. If you really love another person as a friend or otherwise you will help create them in a positive way. The individual, the supposed addict, is the one who is in control of their universe. He has the power to reject your imposed negative creation if he chooses. It all depends upon his view of himself. But when someone condemns their husband, their wife, their girlfriend or boyfriend to constant thoughts of the fact that they are an addict. They create that. The fact does not have to be reality. We can change our reality. We can help an addict change their reality, but only with those powerful thoughts of recovery and sanity.
    We can all create ourselves by our view of ourselves and others views. Dwelling on the very thing that we don't want invites more of it. Maybe Jim was never a drug addict in the first place. Isn't the actual state of being a drug addict a man made thing anyway? He is a great guy who is successful and intelligent. Kind and compassionate with a very loving warm touch. Whatever it is, but these are natural inherent traits. Being a drug addict is something that man has in forced on man.
  5. MrAmazingMan1

MrAmazingMan1 Active Contributor

It's a shame the he had to die that way, but you can't feel guilty about it. Although you couldn't help him it was his decision to ruin, and end his life. The best thing for you to do is find something to help you move on, weather it be a woman in your life, or sporting events and such.
  6. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

I am sorry for your friend. Drug addiction is a huge issue and definitely needs to be looked at more closely. There are so many lives out there that are being lost to drugs and it sickens me that we cannot stop it. We need to put in more resources into saving these people because drug addiction could easily kill a large percentage of the world's population.
  7. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

I ran into a friend today who I've known over 20 years. About ten years ago she told me she was snorting cocaine. She informed me she would at times go on binges for days and, if available, spend thousands of dollars to get high. I warned her that cocaine was highly addictive and could lead to other drugs that would give her a better and more lasting high but she assured me cocaine was the most she would do.
    I have heard rumors over the past few months that she has started to smoke crack. When I saw her today those rumors were confirmed. She is almost 100 lighter then she was the last time I saw her and her skin has darkened. She looked so bad it made me want to cry. We spoke for awhile and I could tell she wasn't comfortable. I wanted so bad to ask her what was going on but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I'm really hoping and praying she finds a way to kick the habit because she doesn't look healthy at all and I wouldn't want to see her become ill or even die from her habit.
  8. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I'm very sorry about your lost. By suggesting that he get help and being able to watch him was your way of helping him. In the end you can't blame your self. That would be a lot of pressure on yourself to have that type of thinking.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I am sorry to hear about the sudden death of your best friend. Well, that's just a proof that drugs would never do any good to people. Anyway, what happened to your best friend was never your fault. Never blame yourself or feel bad about you not being able to help him get rid of his addiction.
  10. 6up

6up Community Champion

This is the truth that many addicts don't want to hear about. Many have failed to quit drugs because of stress. Lack of funds to continue different projects has also resulted to many people taking drugs. We need to talk to our friends who are addicts and encourage them so that one day they may quit abusing drugs.
  11. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I'm sorry to hear about this. Cocaine is really a horrible drug. You can't blame yourself tho everyone has freedom of choice. It's really too bad that your friend didn't heed your warning. Sorry for your loss.
  12. I'm so sorry you lost a friend this way. But please don't be hard on yourself. Each person has to make their own choices and decisions. He was fortunate to have a friend like you who cared so much about him.
  13. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well he knew you cared, and sadly we can't save people from themselves. Maybe it was actually a death wish of some sort. My son had a friend who overdosed and died. I think the kid wanted to go into the military and when he couldn't pass the requirements to get in it broke his heart.