New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How could this be.We are about to be homeless

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by True concern, Aug 8, 2018.

1. True concern

True concern Community Champion

So most of you know me,most of you know my story of addiction, this story will not be like the other's rather my family may be receiving a 3 day notice to move from our apartment. Please allow me to share the fact's. My dad is 71 year's old fighting several forms of cancer,the worst being potential lung cancer,but dad won't confirm because he doesn't want mom to worry but the fact he has oxygen on his face 24/7/365 and can't walk more than 10 feet at a time is kind of a dead give away and I've asked his Dr directly if he does and the Dr tells me due to my dad's wishes and patient Dr confidentiality he can't confirm nor deny,but followed it up with "Your a bright young man trust your gut feeling " My mom is 59 she has diabetes for over 30 year's and is actually labeled a "Brittle diabetic"She as well has had 2 triple bypass heart surgeries and 2 back surgeries, my older brother is 40 with mild autism and other mental disabilities so he need's full time care,he averages a brain level of about a 7 year old.I also have a healthy 7 year old sister. Where we live in an apartment UPSTAIRS for over 4 year's in the furthest back corner of the apartment with no problem's. We have never had any complaints against us,the police have never been called to our apartment and recently the woman downstairs told my mom she was moving so my mom put in a request to move downstairs to ease the pain her and my dad go through coming up and going down the stairs. The apartment made us fill out new paper work to move downstairs which we did.Sunday around 530 pm the office called and said the corporation approved our request to go from upstairs to downstairs as both parent's supplied Dr notes stating living upstairs was to difficult with the disabilities they both have.My mom was releived and then Monday afternoon the manager was replaced and my mom got a phone call stating we didn't make enough income to move downstairs even though it's 55 dollar's less a month than we currently pay.Let me add in this 4 year's we have lived here we have never once paid our rent late...it's always on time but all of a sudden they say our overall income is 1700 dollar's short a month of their minimum requirements to rent.Well apparently now our lease upstairs which was just renewed 4 month's ago is in jeopardy and today we got a notice on the door to remove everything from our balcony immediately as well as we must allow them to come in and "Get a visual "on how we live and if we don't comply in 72 hour's they are issuing a 3 day notice to evict.So YES my family is poor but we pay our rent,bills,and we get enough food a month to survive yet we are now being harassed by management and basically they are trying to force us out even though they had no problem with us as long as we didn't complain and stayed upstairs. I am going to go down in the morning and try to figure this out face to face with management in the morning but if they are indeed going to force us out....we will be homeless. Im trying not to cry,my sobriety is definitely being tested and I don't know what to do if we are put on the streets. With my parents health the way it is we can not up and move in 72 hour's and I really don't know what to do.Any advice would be greatly appreciated I will try to remain calm until I talk to them tomorrow but if this goes south what do I do?Try to get a lawyer pro Bono and sue them for mistreating the elderly and disabled or contact a media outlet and see if I can shed some light on this cruelty that way?This is my family, I have to figure something out. Thanks for reading Stay Strong and God Bless
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@True concern hey there. i'm really sorry you're having to go through this.... this is horrible treatment!!!

regarding eviction, even if they give you an eviction notice, you do NOT have to be out in 72 hours... at least in my state, tenants have a certain amount of time to move out... they may give you the eviction notice... but i think you are able to wait and attend court...and go from there. my ex used to try to evict people who were late on rent, so she'd have to go to the courthouse to get an eviction notice... but it would take months and months before the tenants would really have to leave... anyway, talk to an attorney perhaps...

but also just go talk to them calmly... see what's up and what you can do to keep your place... be gentle with them :) (i know it's upsetting...) and let us know when you find out.

praying hard for you today Arthur!!! sending angels to help you and your family at this time!!
    True concern likes this.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Man, oh man, Arthur. This is truly a kick in the gut. I can't believe any landlord would treat a tenant this way, especially if you guys always pay your rent and don't cause any problems. You should definitely talk to a lawyer. There has to be some kind of tenants' rights organization that can help you, don't you think? If not, what about calling the "Problem Solvers" at the local TV station? What is being done to you just doesn't seem fair at all!

Give us an update when you can, @True concern. Did you talk to the landlord this morning? If so, were you able to make any progress?

Don't give up the ship, my friend. You need to fight this. Hard. It's completely and totally wrong to be treated the way you're being treated.

Praying my ass off for you and your family today. Stay strong!!!
    True concern likes this.
  4. True concern

So I went down and talked to management and after hearing the route's I was ready to take if necessary they "Re checked"the status of our situation and now are going to honor our request to move downstairs and said they are sorry for the confusion. I am so mentally exhausted at this moment that tormented my mind all night. Thank you guy's for your prayers and support.
    lonewolves likes this.
  5. deanokat

Whew! Thank goodness, @True concern! So glad this worked out for you guys! I will now go find my ass that I prayed off and re-attach it to my body. :p
    True concern likes this.
  6. True concern

Thanks again lol :confused:
    deanokat likes this.
  7. Dominica

@True concern I am so happy to hear this!!! :) Ya'll deserve the best, ya know??? (I do know!) :D
    lonewolves, deanokat and True concern like this.
  8. True concern

Thank you, im happy my family will have a place to live for sure :)
    lonewolves and deanokat like this.
  9. lonewolves

lonewolves Community Champion

Oh man, I left for a week and so much has happened! I’m glad this post ends with a positive note. Is your uncle to blame for them wanting you out? Glad you’re still sober, have you hit 7 months yet @True concern ?
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  10. True concern

He possibly is part of the reason as the maintenance guy asked me who he was and why he was always messing with a bunch of wires in the parking lot(which he doesn't have a parking sticker for) and he isn't on the lease,it all started with them telling my dad he couldn't put his empty oxygen bottles outside.Once a week a company picks up the empty bottles and leaves refilled one's.Needless to say it was very hard to keep my temper in check
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  11. Dominica

i bet!! glad it all worked out though.
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  12. deanokat

@True concern... What would your mom have done if the landlord said you guys could only stay if your uncle moved out??? :rolleyes:
    lonewolves, True concern and Dominica like this.
  13. True concern

Oh man,if only it was a stipulation. For myself now honestly trying to stay sober I can see how meth change's a person. He is much like me and probably most people who use in he doesn't want to deal with how he has effected his life and other's so he continues to use,and I have to be honest getting sober after sooo long is hard because after the Fog clears you get to stand back I go "Oh Fu×k What Have I Done"and to try and fix it or even let it truly sink in will literally bring a grown man to his knee's and make him cry like a baby.It's hard to be sober after so long but it's important to try and heal the wound's. But ya im getting off track again. It would have been great I guess would have been the short answer o_O;):confused:
    lonewolves likes this.
  14. deanokat

Maybe you should slip the landlord a little $$ to tell your mom her brother has to leave! ;)
    True concern likes this.
  15. True concern

Food for thought o_O:rolleyes:
    deanokat likes this.