An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How dangerous can prescription drugs be?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by stridee, Aug 11, 2015.

1. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

Even if you are not addicted to them, could just regularly taking prescription drugs endanger your health?
  2. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Yes, any kind of drug once taken in excess can be detrimental to one's health. Our liver is one of the main victims when it comes to over using drugs. I remember seeing a news report from our local news just this month about the seemingly harmless intake of the "Glutathione" drug which is an anti-oxidant used for cancer and cystic fibrosis patients. People who want to achieve fairer skin take this drug in excessive amounts because one of the side effects of the drug is skin lightening. So the more people take in glutathione, the more they expect to achieve whiter skin. It turns out that taking in excessive amounts of the drug over time can still lead to complications especially in the liver. The doctor who was interviewed has suggested that the recommended dosage of glutathione as a daily supplement should not exceed 500mg, which is not always followed when it comes to people who want to whiten their skin.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It can be dangerous. Taking prescription drugs regularly even you do not need it could lead to addiction. It can also cause health problems especially if you have current health issues.
  4. princepts

princepts Member

They are manipulative, luring, enticing and destructive; a volatile recipe making prescription drugs very deadly. My biggest mistake was underestimating the raw power that prescription drugs bring to the table. Pharmaceutical companies have gotten filthy rich by selling euphoria and creating a weapon proven capable of ripping families apart and shredding the fabric of communities. "Regularly taking" these medications paves the road which leads to addiction. Stop now, while there is still concern and caution residing within you. Run away from any further temptation. Hesitation, in the slightest, could be the nudge necessary to sink your ship. My .02.
  5. Mr.B

Mr.B Member

Yes. Many prescription drugs can lead to health problems. Most painkillers can actually destroy your liver or cause constipation symtoms.
  6. juulicob

juulicob Member

Wow, that's interesting, thanks for sharing. I don't understand any reason to consume any prescription drug for any other reason besides it's main purpose. Besides the highs people may expect, how can you not be concerned about what this drug is doing to your body? I like when I know my body is healthy and I wouldn't take any prescription drug for no reason, only if it's prescribed for a reason.
  7. Mzpeaceful1

Mzpeaceful1 Active Contributor

All prescription drugs have some health risk. I'm like my doctor's worst patient now since being prescribed a drug I got dependent on. I look all prescriptions up and see what their possible side effects are as well as all their interactions with other medications. I've had a doctor prescribe me a medication that nearly killed me along side another medication I was taking. You have to be so careful with prescription medications and you can't always rely on your doctors to tell you everything. Also take the time to go over your medications with your pharmacist. Be very careful with anything you put into your body. Once the damage is done, there is nothing you can do about it later in some cases.
  8. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think that any drug can be dangerous particularly if you take them in combination with other meds. Not all meds are meant to be taken with each other. Side effects of other drugs are one of the things that you have to watch out for when you are taking drugs. These are the problems that can be encountered.
  9. juno

juno Community Champion

You should not take prescription drugs unless you are under a doctors care. It is understandable if you have high blood pressure or a heart condition. Those drugs generally won't cause an addiction. However, taking prescription drugs, such as pain killers regularly can become addictive and it is dangerous. A lot of people will take prescribed cough medicine as well when they don't need it, just to sleep. This could turn into a very bad habit.
  10. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I know people that got hooked on prescription pain killers after they had suffered a major accident. After they had gotten better and made a full recovery, they had gotten addicted to the pain meds. There is a danger in the drugs that doctors prescribe. There is no doubt in that.