An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How did alcohol affect your relationships?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by FuZyOn, Aug 11, 2015.

1. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

This just means that you have to step up and be a role model! It does suck that they are young (meaning that they are more easily able to be influenced by others), but you can help them to learn more about the dangers of alcohol. If you teach them about how addiction is bad then they will stay away from it. The children are young, but you can change their views on certain things! Just take it one step at a time.
  2. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Although I don't know how I would approach a 6 and 8 year old about this.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

When I drank I was the classical happy drinker, then I turned into the person who said a bunch of stupid illogical stuff and made a fool of myself. I'm glad I never drank like that in front a partner or potential partner, I am sure our romance would have been very short lived.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

For me, alcohol impacted my relationships in a few different ways. I'd lie. I'd be irresponsible and reckless, so people found it harder and harder to trust me. You couldn't really rely on me at all to be somewhere at a set time - so I was a pretty ordinary friend and family member, and a very lackluster employee. I somehow skated by without getting fired - even though I was often running late, I'd make it up by staying back at the end of the day - so I hid it reasonably well from my boss. But it was the fact that I'd often be there hungover and so forth that meant I was in no way at a good level of productivity a lot of the time.
    MicahcHudgins likes this.
  5. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

Alcohol was a link for some of my relationships. Those people and I only got along when we were drinking together. When I stopped drinking, I realized how toxic those people were to my life and cut them off. The alcohol had actually cut off the good people from my life.
    MicahcHudgins likes this.
  6. MicahcHudgins

MicahcHudgins Member

Alcohol has affected a recent relationship of mine with my boyfriend. He would go to parties or hang out with his friends, get drunk & forget to call me. He started talking back to his parents, & when he gets drunk he started to flirt with other girls. Not just alcohol, also tobacco. He became a completely different person, & I do believe it was the company he keeps. So his mother took him out of regular school & put him in a private school. Took away his car, & his cellphone. He also could not leave the house as often. He was so depressed, but after a while he's realized. Now he's doing so much better. He has those urges to drink or smoke but he doesn't.
  7. x9859x

x9859x Member

Alcohol affected many of my relationships. I lost many good friends due to alcohol because they just couldn't bare me take in poison daily. I was always angry and confused when I drank alcohol which caused me to forget a whole bunch of plans that I had made with friends a couple of days prior to our big party. I was unable to commit to relationships with the opposite gender and was always seen as a party girl. No one really wanted anything to do with me because all I would do is drink, drink, and drink some more. A lot of relationships I had could have lead me to become a better person, but hopefully I can fix the relationships that I have currently and make them better.
  8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I never expected to get as many replies on this topic! :D I read all your stories and I feel touched. Always remember to look on the brightside, even when things are getting hard - a lot of personal issues can be fixed with the right mindset, so try to think clearly before acting.
  9. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I didn't care about anybody else. I was selfish and people came second to my needs. So I wasn't very concerned if their feelings were hurt.
  10. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Mostly people in my life that had a serious alcohol issue it caused problems. They would either mix prescription drugs or some other drug. Aside from this alcohol really didn't cause any major problems. Overall the people I've been around were responsible and maintained some sort of rational composure. Its just called having some boundaries and using your head.
  11. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

Actually, it was the other way around. My relationship affected my alcoholism. I was doing fine until i realized (too late) that i am in love. Now i act like a weak and depressed person by drinking while she is happy and doesn't care about it. These are things i say in order to try to forget about it and her but it never helped when i lied to myself. I rarely drank before all this happened. Now it's taking a toll and i feel good only when i am drunk. It is not as prominent as i explain here but for me it is the worst i have ever been.
  12. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

My other half and I used to argue all of the time when we drank alcohol because we became more brave or something I am not sure. We would say exactly what was on our minds and that is not always a good thing to do. Alcohol brings out he worst in people sometimes.
  13. Rosco14

Rosco14 Member

Yeah my brother drinks a lot. He's underage and tries to hide the fact from our family. He comes home confused at around 4 am every day. When he wakes up, he's all mean and crabby. We have tried to help him, but his friends all drink so its' too much peer pressure. It is so sad:(
  14. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

It affected everyone around me. My family and I would fight making me not go home and causing worry and mayhem. It affected my friends because I never had time for them and was out and about drinking here and there. No one permanent. No care for love life and became heartless to guys. It was bad and I am happy I made it up to the people I love.
  15. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I haven't consumed alcohol to the point of destroying existing relationships with family and friends. However, one of the reasons why I do what I can to avoid drinking more than necessary is that being in a drunken state can be quite an inconvenience to those around you. They will have to shoulder the burden of looking after you. Health-wise, it's going to drain your resources and you'll be forced to pester your relatives to lend you money just so you can comply with the medical requirements.
  16. sach3740

sach3740 Member

alcoholic addiction makes life difficult. some of us understand that by taking alcohol we feel great.it only folse knowlage about it. it makes life dispar some times it may weakens up the relationships with other, After taking it we act unnaturally then surly leads to arguments. its a roots of all problems we face across the world. drinking is good with the limitation. whatever goes beyond our control its bad
  17. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Having any addiction affects you and the people around you a lot more than you actually realise sometimes.

When all your thinking about is a drug then that's the only thing that becomes important and it affects your way of life and your priorities.
  18. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I have never had that sort of experience myself, but I do know of others who have.
    Unfortunately other people get affected just as much and sometimes worse when someone has an alcohol addiction and it's almost always in a bad way.
    Under the influence of alcohol, people do things they wouldn't even dare to do if they were sober because their thoughts and emotions are not under their control anymore. Relationships end this way and fights start. Unfortunately many people become abuse victims as a result of the abusers alcoholism. My friend's father would speak in a profane and unacceptable manner in front of him and his mother when he was young. His father did not reach the extent of physical abuse as sober, he was a decent man, but he did eventually realize that the way he was under the influence of alcohol was unacceptable and he quit for the sake of his family's well being.
  19. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think that when a alcoholic does eventually quit then most of the time it's because either their family or friends have made them see that they have a problem and need help.

While an alcoholic will try and deny they have a problem at first, eventually there comes a point when they have to admit they need help, that's when friends or family being there for support can make all the difference.
  20. rush

rush Member

As for my love life? It went down hill when I touched the alcohol. I was getting loads of complaints by my girlfriend how my personality changed, I was always picking arguments over random subjects. It was at a very bad point in our relationship. Now she has gone for good