An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How Did People React When You Told Them You've Just Quit Using

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Loved One' started by Smartglaxx, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Smartglaxx

Smartglaxx Member

I have a friend who just quit using drinking after a long history of alcohol abuse. We didn't believe him when he first told us, but with time, we realized he was telling the truth. So I want to know your reaction when you see people who just quit.
  2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

People usually can't believe someone is serious about quitting to drink alcohol, smoking or stop doing drugs.

Sometimes they do no believe because they may think addiction will win over the sincerest wish to quit, hands down. Other will no believe it because they think the person is not really serious but having a sudden wish to quit but will change his/hr mind overnight.

Because I was lost in alcohol for years had to suffer the incredulity and skepticism of people not believing in the decision I made, and not believing I would keep it up after recovery, it's my wish to believe in people who said to want to quit, and try to be around just in case he or she needs a helping hand, advice or simply some encouragement.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Many people who've told me they will stop using drugs normally start with some enthusiasm that could convince anyone that they are serious about fighting their addiction. But a week or so later that enthusiasm begins to flag and before the end of the month they are back to using. So whenever someone tells me they are quitting, I don't believe them.
  4. artkat96

artkat96 Member

When I told my parents that I quit, their only reaction was "we'll believe it when we see it". They were really pleasantly surprised when they finally started seeing the changes I was making. It was a great feeling for both parties.
  5. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Member

My mom recently told me my brother was trying to stop his addiction of drinking. He is going to meetings and what not to try to get his addiction under control. I don't know if he is really going to stop, but I have hope for it.

My father used to smoke, but he stopped smoking and I gradually saw the changes. I was very happy when he stopped but it did take some time.
  6. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I never told them, just in case I fail, I never do that with most things in my life. I just do what I must do, I assume people will notice I am doing the right thing. I don't feel the need to tell everyone :p My fiance said he is not going to tell me when he stops smoking, so he doesn't feel pressed or feel bad if he fails.
  7. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

It’s actually been said that it may be best way to accomplish a goal, keeping it to yourself. That probably varies from person to person, but I do personally find that I’m more likely to succeed if I don’t go blabbing about what I want to do. A lot of it is because of the “I’ll believe it when I see it” mentality. Which I must admit, I do espouse somewhat, but I think that’s just human.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Yeah, I think I actually read that talking about what you are planning to do makes it less likely to happen. When you think about it... it does make sense. For me it's the same by the way, I used to overweight some years ago, didn't say a ord and just focused on losing weight. I actually made it :)
    CallipygianGamine likes this.
  9. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

I agree a lot here. It never crossed my mind to even say a word to anyone. There was never anything to celebrate either way. I'll know if I succeeded or not in my deathbed :p. Putting aside that grim mentality I think progress speaks for itself.
    CallipygianGamine likes this.