An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How did you get addicted to alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by FuZyOn, Mar 27, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

When I first started drinking I wasn't in a good place. Things were starting to fall apart and everything wasn't going my way at all. I found that if I get drunk every day I don't feel the pain, but that clearly wasn't the solution.
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

My parents were lifetime drug users and alcoholics. So watching people do it all the time eventually rubbed off on me. I started drinking around the age of 15 years old. From there it just carried on til my late 30s. I still drink every now and then in moderation and during social events. It's never to slumber in pain or depression. Those days are long gone.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Both my parents were heavy drinkers and growing up it was just a way of life I learned to grow up with. I saw it as normal to drink every night as its what I was always used to.
    As I moved out and got my own place it was just something that I fell into doing, its only then when I realised that it wasn't the normal thing to do, it it took me a while to get out of that habit. Now I drink only at the weekend which I feel is more normal.
  4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

No one sets out to become addicted to anything. It can be a gradual thing that ends up surprising the user who believed themselves to be 'casual'. You can, however, (as people here have) speak to the hereditary & situational circumstances that can be pointed at later when you realize you have a problem. However, many people with similar histories do not end up as addicts so it's hard to call that a cause.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Only a temporary solution. When the effects of alcohol wears off, you'll have to drink more to drive the pain away. The more you drink, tolerance to alcohol develops and you'd have to drink more . . . until your liver is damaged. Sometimes, say if you lose something or someone the only cure for that is time. Embrace the pain and in time it will stop hurting.

The pain does go away, you just have to find the person that loves you to help you fight it.

unknown.
  6. Pinoy Jade

Pinoy Jade Active Contributor

i guess it is because my parents does drink also and as time goes , i was influenced by the way they drink. And when i went to high school , i started to drink alcohol often especially that it is the treat of my friends :D
  7. TinVanMan

TinVanMan Member

I started at about age 14, after watching my father drink every day of my life. I would wake up and sneak a shot before school, then come home and steal some wine. At night, I would go out with friends and get drunk. I did that for many years and it got progressively worse. I wish I could help my dad but even 18 years later he is still drinking every day.
  8. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

I'm luckily not addicted to alcohol, it's only weed and cigarettes.
    A lot of my family members were alcoholic, I don't want to continue this addiction.
  9. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I'm not, and never was an alcoholic myself because I actually dislike it to some extent. I do have a friend who got hooked on it and it all started when he was dating a person who was a bad influence on him. I'm not saying he was a mere victim since he obviously could still decide for himself but it contributed a lot to his addiction since they were involved in a lot of senseless drama.
  10. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

For me it was the group of friends I had at a point in my life. I was in my late teens/early 20's and at university...and I was at that point in life where I wasn't really sure of who I was or what I wanted to do in life. Dangerous combination. The group I mixed with were all heavy drinkers, so being immature and easily influenced I also jumped on the bandwagon. It got to the point where I was passing out drunk at least several times a week. I don't look back at that period of my life very fondly at all.
  11. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I got addicted to alcohol because my parents were drunk on a daily basis. Our life revolved around their consumption of alcohol and dealing with the hangover. It was a three day cycle. They had friend who would visit on a regular basis to drink with them. And during those "parties" I was often offered alcohol as a "joke". My parents and their friends would find it hilarious to watch me make faces and choke on the beer that they were trying to force down my throat.
    When I was 16 I was addicted to alcohol. It just happened.
  12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I started drinking when I was sixteen years old. It's because of my high school classmates; they influenced me to drink. Anyway, I'm not blaming them for anything at all. It was all my fault.
  13. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, I never really got addicted to alcohol. Usually, when I drank a lot it was because I had some kind of problem. You know, the usual kind, breakups, job problems, economic problems, the usual. I did hit the bottle hard when I got depressed. I would drink every day, no exception. But once troubles were over, I'd usually give the bottle a big break.
  14. slattery2u

slattery2u Member

It can start off with drinking with your peers, then little by little you start drinking more and more. Before you know it you will begin drinking every day and then to stop can be a hard road back.
  15. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Life pressures and bills made me turn to alcohol for comfort. Other people might take in food for comfort, I chose alcohol and getting passed out drunkeness. After a few times of daily drinking it became part of the my lifestyle and it never stopped and it just snowballed from there.
  16. Nicholas

Nicholas Member

I believe I got addicted to drinking in the same way, it helps you live in the moment and the moment alone, no past, no future just right now. And because of the amount of pain I was trying to avoid I was drinking all the time and in the end realized it only caused me and my family more pain.
  17. miro1231

miro1231 Member

Every time after work, my parents would drink. Not a lot, a few beers or maybe a few whiskies. Just enough to get them to sleep, or maye even a little tipsy. This didn't affect me directly at the time, but I guess I've picked this up from them since I drink regularly now. I started drinking when I was in the seventh grade, that's when I got drunk for the first time actually, then drinking on parties and such, and I started drinking every day at the age of 18, somewhere around there. I am not proud of this of course, but I guess it runs in my family:D
  18. DarLynn

DarLynn Member

I turned to alcohol AFTER the end of a LONG, ABUSIVE relationship. During the relationship I had no self esteem, I stress ate until I weighed 300lbs! After it ended, I turned to alcohol to curb my appetite. I quit eating white carbs, drank alcohol, and took long walks at night. After a year of this, I had lost over 125lbs and was now very confidant. I felt like the alcohol helped me loose weight and also felt like it cured my social anxieties. NOW.... I drink heavily everyday because it's what I got used to, and I still get up and go to work every day but I think alcohol has become a problem because I drink to much.
  19. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Peer pressure, mostly. I remember that a couple of my high-school friends lured me into tasting alcohol and invited me to have a drink with them over a depraved local bar which looked really horrendous, but never actually cared about it more than spending time with my friends. I thought that spending time with them was the only thing that mattered, but I thereafter got used to alcohol and started drinking gradually until I became addicted.
  20. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

My father was no an alcoholic nor liked to drink socially because my mother dislikes to drink alcohol even to date. I liked to enjoy drinking moderately from time to time and to some extent, something required for someone studying a career in restaurant and hotel management.

Problem began when I began to do it in excess as revenge having my father not wanting to help me, financially speaking, but stating the terrible statement I used to found my addiction, pointing at the liquor he had given me, why he should give me money when I asked for it? But happens that I didn't want the money to buy alcohol but for something as simple as buying personal effects.

"So I have already all those beverages at hand? Well let's drink them all" and this is how I got addicted to alcohol for years. Not longer today.