An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How did you get started?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by SLTE, Sep 2, 2015.

1. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

I'm not a smoker, but I lived with a smoker for many years, and she told me that she got started, more or less, via peer pressure when she was young. Her friend started it, she pushed my mom to get started, and everything just ballooned from there. She still smokes to this day, some forty years later.

How did you get started? How long did you smoke before quitting? Or have you quit at all? Let's hear some stories.
  2. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

Well I started smoking 2 years ago, because of pressure as she told you, I was in my last year at college, I had very bad condition and problems that drives me to smoke, now I'm a smoker and trying my best to stop it :(
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I started smoking when I was 14. My dad and my brother smoked, and for some ridiculous reason I thought it was cool. I smoked for 14 years. I tried quitting a couple of times before I was able to finally quit for good, which was just after my first son was born. My quit date is October 11, 1990. Big 25-year anniversary coming up next month! :)
  4. Ttirb

Ttirb Active Contributor

I only smoked when I was drinking for the longest time. Then I started drinking a lot and it eventually led to me buying cigarettes when I was sober and not drinking. Now here I am 4 years later still smoking. It's funny cause both of my parents smoked when I was younger and I hated it.
  5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I first started smoking due to the peer-pressure. All the people around me were doing it so I didn't want to be the odd one. I didn't like the taste at first, it left a really bad taste in my mouth and the smoke was unbearable. After a while I got used to it though, and I didn't realize I was actually developing a pretty bad addiction.
  6. Jamesbonner

that's the biggest reason that drives people to smoke, all my friends start smoking because they though that this gonna makes them looks older and cooler lol I'm really happy because you could stop it and I wish i could do the same again :)
  7. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

When I was growing up, everyone smoked! I mean everyone! My entire family smoked cigarettes! It seemed so normal, and I honestly loved the smell. I didn't even think about lighting one up myself until I was eighteen, and working my first job. A co-worker was smoking on break one day, and offered me one. I declined, and she kept on and on. Finally I took one to shut her up. It tasted soooo good, I kept smoking for years before I finally quit. When I saw my mom, my brother and my sister die from smoking related diseases, I finally got the courage to quit!
  8. Ttirb

Ttirb Active Contributor

You're probably one of the first people I've ever heard of that actually likes the smell! Ugh I smoke and I personally can't stand the smell of it. Some brands of cigarettes smell worse then others though in my opinion.
    jbbarn likes this.
  9. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

I first started as a teenager, although I don't believe I was properly addicted until I was about 23. I had a very high pressure job around then and my smoking became a lot more about 'relieving stress' than about 'looking cool'. I was around a lot of people who smoked by then and it was totally acceptable in my circles. I think if I had been surrounded by people who hated smoking it would have deterred me a little. Maybe not completely, but at least a little bit!

I eventually got up to 2-3 packs a week (I never learnt to roll!) for a few years and quit not long after I turned 27. I'm so glad it didn't go on for longer.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Basically I started smoking when I was young entirely down to peer pressure. I wasn't forced to smoke or anything like that, but I wanted to fit in with my friends who all smoked, so I started smoking because of a need to fit in.
  11. blackout

blackout Member

I started smoking when I started working in the kitchen of a local pub. I didn't smoke when they hired me but after a few months I realized that cooks who smoked were getting more breaks than the non-smokers. Some non-smokers didn't even get a break! So, I started by bumming smokes off of co-workers. I'd get breaks and it just worked out.

I started hanging out with a lot of smokers. We kept each other company out in the cold. We also drank alcohol together any night of the week. We were a bunch of enablers.

I smoked for five years before quitting.
    I didn't see myself as a drug addict until one day when I read that the nicotine in one cigarette would kill you in under 90 seconds if you injected it into your bloodstream. It made my mind stand still. I just could not comprehend how I could probably do heroine and survive... but the nicotine in my precious cigarettes would be enough to kill me. I didn't really want to smoke them any more after that, so I quit.

With quitting I also had to quit hanging around with smokers. I began to detest the smell entirely. And now, I often run in front of people smoking while walking down the sidewalk. I will do almost anything to get away from the smoke.

I've caught myself saying, "I can't believe I ever smoked" on many occasions.
    I am so happy to have quit, now.
  12. Kpet

Kpet Member

My story with cigarettes started at junior high. I stole some of my mother who is also a smoker, and me and some friends went in to the woods to try this thing out. I remember i did not like it. But still when we told other kids at school about it the thought it was so cool. From there we weekend smoked and by the time i started High school i was fully hooked.

I have now been smoking for 15 years and still struggling to quit. It`s a habit that really controls ones behavior.
  13. henry

henry Community Champion

No peer pressure for me. I got started because I wanted to look cool, just like those dudes on Miami Vice and stuff. I used to wait till my father tossed his cigarette butts and I would hunt them down to smoke what was left of them. Nobody ever forced me to do anything when I was a kid, except fighting.
  14. LindaSuzanne

LindaSuzanne Active Contributor

Sometimes I wish I could go back and give the 17 year old me a good kick up the backside! I started college in 1967 and it was then very fashionable to smoke. I remember sitting in the common room puffing away on a cigarette (It was a brand called No.6), my head was spinning and I felt sick. You would think that would have been enough to stop me but no, I 'persevered' until the addiction got a hold. Madness.

I gave up permanently at the age of 30 when I became pregnant with my first child. At the end of the pregnancy I had lost the habit and have never gone back.
  15. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

This is going to sound really stupid, but I started because it seemed cool for me. I started when I was 15 and all this social media thing had a big impact on me, I used to watch really 'romantic' and cool pictures of people on Tumblr smoking, looking beautiful and having a good time, so I started. And I used to smoke a lot(about a pack each 2 days) and it wasn't really because I needed to, it was because I thought that I looked cool, but obviously I started to really need it and it was really hard for me to quit, I'm 20 and it still is. I only smoke occasionally when I'm feeling really tired or I'm dealing with an emotional crisis, but I'm trying to completely quit.
  16. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

I think more people take the 'cool' train into any sort of addiction than would care to admit it. Smoking is glamourized in a lot of ways by popular media, and all too often it's done with the express purpose of getting people to start. Even though I hate smoking in general, and always have, I will freely admit that some directors, photographers, and advertisers are really good at making smoking look like an awesome thing.
  17. Jamesbonner

I really agree with you ! in all movies, we see that all the great people and the champions smokes, we see that the cool people smokes, that makes us believe that smoking will makes you looks cool and older ! while it's not ! it's just something that will hurt you and makes you kill your self !
  18. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I was really depressed during my childhood as I got abusive, alcoholic parents and I used to stay away from home as much as possible. Then, as I grew up, I heard from someone that smoking calms you down and makes you forget about your problems. So that's what I did. I couldn't standing at first, but I forced myself into liking it as I thought it would be better for me. I was so silly...
  19. Jamesbonner

I'm really sorry for your story :( that sounds really sad ! what about now ? did you stopped smoking or you still addicted to it ? please let us know and maybe we can support each other to stop smoking ....
  20. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

It's been almost a year since I last smoked and it feels so great to be able to breathe again! Not to mention, I also have some lung issues and it only got worse because of the smoking, but I am okay now and hopefully in the future my lungs will recover. I am patient.