An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How did you quit drinking alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by GenevB, May 1, 2015.

1. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Hi everybody, I remember that back in the days, when I was like 13-15 years old, I used to drink a lot. It was something stupid specific to the age. I remember that I was drunk 3 to 5 days a week only to prove to myself and others how much alcohol I can take. After some point, I simply didn't wanted to anymore, I saw no benefit into doing it and I just stopped without even thinking that it was a problem. I think it was because of the puberty that I wanted to be somehow rebel, do you have similar stories? Do any of you used to drink a lot and at some point simply stopped without being a problem to get rid of the addiction?
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

A lot of teenagers do hit those "rebellious" years as they're going through puberty and onward. Plenty of teenagers will drink during a phase and then decide that it's not for them soon after. However, peer pressure can be a pretty strong thing that keeps teens drinking even when they don't really want to. It's not always that simple to simply stop, especially at that age.
  3. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Yeah, I was at that age, too. I know how it feels, and you shouldn't be ashamed. It's the period of our life when we want to impress people, not even thinking about the stupidity of the actions we commit. It's nothing that we should feel bad about, everyone went through awkward periods in their time, when they'd ask themselves what they could do better.
  4. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I used to drink a lot as well when I was younger. And I think most of us did for various reasons. Some, because of peer pressure, some tried drinking because they want to prove something, others wanted to rebel. I on the other hand drank alcohol because I had easy access to it. Whenever my friends and I want some booze, I just need to raid my dad's bar at home. He never noticed the missing bottles. Probably because he was drunk always or just didn't care. But anyway, when I decided to stop, I didn't have any problems at all. Thanks goodness! I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms. Unlike the time when I decided to stop smoking where I got sick and had this awful cough.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

People can choose to quit drinking for a lot of reasons. Some more successful than others.

For me it was more of a lifestyle choice than anything else. It was becoming an everyday thing, a few beers after work every night and its a routine that I was getting into.
  6. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

The first and foremost reason for quitting drinking for me is that it has such a horrible impact on behavior. What I mean is.. that taking pills, for example, yes, it greatly influences your life, your thoughts... you are always looking for them... but it doesn't necessarily make you such a different person like drinking does. So that's it. I want to love myself... and that just can't happen if I'm drinking.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

In the beginning it was all about rebellion and trying to look cool in front of your friends. At the time is was fun to be drink with your friends. But years go by and the novelty wears off. Things start to be clearer and the friends that were by your side are no longer there.

I stopped drinking by locking myself in the house and not going out to where there is opportunities to drink. I just cut ties from anything and anyone that would entice me to drink.
  8. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

What influenced me to take a good look at my behaviour? People around me. Now I don't mean those that rode my behind about my use because they were easily ignored. I mean the people who encouraged me when I knew it wasn't the move I wanted to make. I also mean the people who ignored my addictive behaviours. They were more influential in my reconsidering drinking habits. Not because the people who nagged me had no value but because people who nag you can't make you see things the way people who encourage you can.
  9. Nicholas

Nicholas Member

I quit 13 weeks ago when I got in to trouble with the police once again, part of my bail conditions was to not consume alcohol, that bail condition ended 3 weeks ago, I have made the decision to stay off it and Im doing pretty well i think.
    Yearstrong likes this.
  10. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

That pretty much sums it up for me as well. Trying to look cool in front of your firends got me drinking at a young age. After awhile it becomes a weekend thing. Getting drunk and acting stupid.

You get older and you start to see patterns and eventually you move on and stop drinking with the help of family.
  11. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

I didn't go to AA or anything like that, I just stopped but I wouldn't say that it was without its problems. It was very difficult at times and I found it hard to deal with and I communicated with nobody because only a handful of people knew so I couldn't exactly open up to my family about it.
  12. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Well this is pretty much like my story, at some point you just stopped, but it was hard to quit smoking (for me it still is).
    That's the problem when you are young, you do all kind of stupid things just to get approved by others, when you grow up you couldn't care less about what others think about you.
  13. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

I am not really an alcoholic but I know that one way to quit is to not be with people drinking it. Your friends tell you who you are.
  14. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

The major factor for me was realizing I didn’t like what I was doing and who I was becoming during my drinking phase. It was just a way for my social group to fill various voids, get our minds off our problems, and try to impress each other. I broke away from that group and focused on fixing my lifestyle.
  15. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I stopped once I left university but back then I drank a lot just to pass by the time and be around my friends because my place of hangout was one where alcohol was a popular selling point. I'm not that partial to drinking though so I sort of was just forcing myself to enjoy it since there was no other thing that was as legal and socially accepted that I could partake in but I'm glad I was able to maintain my dislike instead of growing to like it because it would have been a tough habit to break.
  16. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I am simply a social drinker so I drink once in a while, mainly for socializing purposes and not necessarily to get drunk. During the one and only time I passed out in a horrible drunken state, I said to myself that such an incident will never happen again. It never did. It's been two years since. I feel more comfortable when I am in control of myself and my senses. What stops me from drinking is the horrible feeling of being unconscious.
  17. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

I used to drink a lot back in my college days, but as I grew older I just stoped. It wasn't too hard to be honest, as I never felt really addicted to alcohol.
  18. Yearstrong

Yearstrong Member

Awesome Nick! I'm 55, drank Hard for 40 yrs! I just celebrated 1 yr Sober! You can do it!
  19. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

My story is quite similar to yours! I also started to get into drinking at a young age just because it was the "rave" among all the teenagers in my school.
    It took me a long time to quit, especially since I became so used to being drunk a lot. It's something that I would never repeat again!
  20. 6up

6up Community Champion

Looking at all the loss that alcohol caused me, I decided to stop drinking. I used to spend a lot of money drinking with friends without minding about my life. Buying new clothes or furniture became a problem. I sometimes even did not eat a balanced diet because alcohol occupied my mind. I got injuries as a result of drinking a lot. It happened one day that I thought of all these and how my life has been affected. That is when I decided to stop taking alcohol.