An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How did you quit?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Ttirb, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Ttirb

Ttirb Active Contributor

I want to quit smoking but all the stress in my life has prevented me from trying. It's so relaxing to just smoke a cigarette when I'm stressed out. What are some methods people have used to successfully quit smoking? I know a lot of people gain weight after quitting, that's not an issue for me as I need to pack on a few pounds.
  2. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

I personally tried E cigs and eventually quit by going down in the amount of nicotine received per inhalation. It is a slow process but I feel as if it is more effective in the long run as opposed to just quitting and getting constant cravings.
  3. Ttirb

Ttirb Active Contributor

I've tried an e cig before and it made me sick as a dog. Everytime I used it I puked
  4. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

I'm still struggling with quiting. I keep smoking, the only thing I managed to do was limit the amount of cigarettes I smoke per day. :(
  5. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

For me, I got a lot of hobbies. I always had a toothpick in my mouth and I played with it when I can't think of doing anything. Eventually, the cravings were reduced. Though I still smoke a stick or two a day at the toilet or at bed, I never came to smoking a pack in a day. I used to smoke 1 and a half to two packs a day back in college.
  6. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

there's no reason to be sad about it...smoking is probably the hardest habit to break in the world so don't lower your self confidence because you couldn't quit, I've heard it's even harder to break than heroin addiction, and you're not the only one who's struggling with quitting...
  7. JRyan1909

JRyan1909 Member

I quit smoking simply because I got to the point in my life I wanted to stop hurting myself and start getting well. That meant a lot of different things to me at that time, but I basically looked at my health as a 27-year-old man, having a hard time catching my breath after climbing the stairs, and I chose to make the change and went out and bought some nicotine gum that afternoon. Never had another cigarette after that. It was really only difficult for the first few months. I only smoked for ten years, but that's an addiction that'll take everything and give you nothing in return. Not that addictions ever do. :)
  8. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Awh, thanks. :) I don't know how I could get motivated to stop smoking, forever and never get back to it. It's so hard, ugh. :(
  9. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

It is very hard, yeah...Honestly I don't know how to do it either, let me know when you find something:)
  10. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I just went cold turkey - it did cause me to stop and start a few times, but it's been years now since I've smoked. Honestly, for me it was about developing different techniques to deal with stress. For a while there it was all too easy to just say "oh, I'm stressed" (or anxious or frustrated or nervous - or whatever other 'bad' emotion I was feeling!) and have a cigarette.

These days I try to be more mindful about those situations. I work out more to clear my head. I try to get to the bottom of what's causing me to feel a certain way, and work on why that's the case and if it's something I can fix. Those are the things that have worked best for me.
  11. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I'm still working on that! Sometimes I became really anxious and stressed just because I know that I want a cigarette but I'm trying to quit, it's still really frustrating but what it works for me is chewing bubblegum and listening to music, it really helps me when I'm feeling stressed, and it makes me forget about cigarettes for a while.
    I know that is hard but we are stronger than a cigarette!
  12. Ttirb

Ttirb Active Contributor

My dad quit smoking cold turkey because he was hospitalized with chest pains. He had about 7 years without one before he died. I still smoked one or two a day while pregnant, I felt so bad about it but my doctor said it was okay in her book because when I found out I was expecting I was smoking a pack to a pack and a half a day. I really tried to quit then but I has such a stressful pregnancy, please don't judge me. When I delivered my daughter they wouldn't let me leave the hospital. So I didn't have one for over 48 hours. I should've just quit then but as soon as I got home I was outside smoking a cigarette. I wish it were easy.
  13. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I havent totally quit yet but I don't smoke every day. I just went 3 days without any tobacco. I think I will be able to quit totally, it is just a matter of time. I know that most users have to try to quit several times before it fully kicks in. I don't really crave nicotine that much. I just get bored.
  14. Mr.B

Mr.B Member

I quit smoking my very first time I tried. My father did as well. He smoked for about 30 years and I smoked for about 15. We both did it the same way. We bought ourselves a box of nicorette lozenges and used them until they were gone. Then we would put a toothpick in our mouth everytime we had a craving. It was really easy. Now I just chew on floss picks when I need something to bite on lol. Beats cigarettes.
  15. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I have a friend who had been trying to quit smoking for years. At first he tried to wean himself off cigarettes but he never could get himself from smoking the last cigar. Afterwards he tried some herbal remedies which weren't that good either. One day he decided that he would make his fight against the addiction his new year's resolution. I didn't expect him to fare any better since he was smoking on 31 December but that was the last time he smoked.

On January 1 he didn't smoke any cigarette. Played a lot of board games to keep his mind off cigarettes and he kept going . . . until finally he no longer could stand cigarette smoke.
  16. JadeVengeance

JadeVengeance Active Contributor

I have tried to quit and I still cannot.
    If I get stressed out, I have a smoke.. and I stress out a lot.
    Has anyone got any tips for me?
  17. Szar

Szar Member

Since they started headache and cough, I decided to stop. I did not use anything, I simply threw half a pack of cigarettes and since that day, and that was 13 years ago, I'm not smoked a single cigarette.
  18. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There's no one method which works for everyone.

If quitting cold turkey isn't for you then since it's nicotine cravings which force you to smoke, replace cigars with nicotine gum, patches, etc and once you no longer have the cravings to smoke wean yourself off nicotine patches or whatever is is you'll use to help you beat the addiction.
  19. 6up

6up Community Champion

What stresses you up? You should first know how to avoid the stress, that is when you can control your smoking. It seems that your smoking habit is dependent on your stress. Talk to your family members or friends and they can help out.
  20. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

I'm planning to quit soon. I've already cut somewhere around 10 cigarettes, and I currently situate at 5 cigarettes a day! Definitely a good improvement, though I won't perceive it as an accomplishment unless I cut it all and get to the 0 mark. Only then can I celebrate. :)