An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How did you quit?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Ttirb, Aug 13, 2015.

1. serenity

serenity Community Champion

You know what, quitting was never a problem for me, because I am not addicted to cigarettes at all, so I just smoked when I felt like it, and after I consumed the cigarettes that I had at that time, then I just stop smoking just like that. I feel no cravings afterwards.
  2. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

I only managed to quit with the support of my family members and my best friend. It was really hard, so that I'm not sure that I would have made it without their help.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

That's easy. Just don't buy any and don't have any on hand. If you don't have any, then you won't smoke it. Just to let you know my grandma stopped smoking and she turned to food for comfort. She did gain weight. So you might want to look out for that.
  4. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

This is a really hard step to take. Quitting smoking is like missing a meal for a day. Doing so for two or three days will be ideal. Do so for three to four weeks and you will notice that you actually do not need a cigarette when you feel stressed. Good luck.
  5. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

I never smoked and I will never start but I had my brother who smoked for 10 years and now he's finally done with that. He managed to stop smoking by using the eletronic cigaret and gradually decreasing the amount of drags he was having previously until he finally he managed to stop at all.
  6. sofacat

sofacat Member

I know that several people have already mentioned e-cigarettes as a tool to quit smoking, but I really can't emphasize enough how important they were to me in my process. I've been a heavy smoker for most of my life, but I plan to have children in the future and I have always hated the idea of exposing my kids to second hand smoke, particularly while I am pregnant. One of my friends introduced me to e-cigarettes and said they had helped her immensely.

I think the trick is that you can't just try them once. You have to be really diligent and try multiple times and several different kinds. It's not going to be exactly the same as smoking a regular cigarette, and you shouldn't expect it to be. However, they are much, much safer than regular cigarettes, and have a lot of options. Keep trying different brands and different flavors until you find the one that works best for you. It was really lifechanging for me.
  7. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I am sure that a lot of people have this question. I am not a smoker but so many are addicted to smoking. People find it so hard to quit. I don't see an easy way out once addicted but sharing how a person has done this can be very beneficial to people struggling to quit. I commend anyone that has stop smoking.
  8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I quit after I realised my problems with money and relationships were slowly getting serious. When I stumbled upon that fact I tried to quit gradually, which worked to an extent but I forced myself to go cold turkey after a couple of months. I never looked back since then, even though things were hard.
  9. Emerson_B

Emerson_B Active Contributor

I think if you continue on that avenue, you will eventually quit both the e cig and smoking altogether :). When I was still trying to quit, someone suggested that I go see a hypnotist and have myself hypnotized so that everytime I smell cigarette smoke, I would feel nauseous. I never tried it though.

The way I took was the e-cig way.
  10. norms options

norms options Active Contributor

Hey Lizel, if you're limiting the amount you are smoking, you are well on your way to quitting. Just stay with your limit until it is completely comfortable for you and then try lowering it a little more. This is how I eventually quit after playing the limit game for several years. Eventually, I had it down to 2-3 a day and one day I was smoking one just because I could but I realized I didn't even want it. I put it out and that was pretty much the end of it for me. Just hang in there and keep trying and realize that by limiting yourself, you are doing great and reducing your addiction slowly. You will get there!!