An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How did you start abusing drugs?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by remnant, Feb 15, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I started smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol bereft of peer influence. It was out of plain old curiosity and experimentation borne out of newly found freedom in college.
  2. 6up

6up Community Champion

I started taking alcohol at the age of 7. I can remember how my father gave me alcohol without opposing. That affected me later in life since it was not easy for me to quit. Influence from friends also contributed to my continued consumption. After talking to my friends and family members, they helped me quit taking alcohol.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I was drawn to drugs after reading a book that made me want to find out if there was truth in the what I'd read. I began experimenting at that time. I was 11 then and by the time I was 13, I was an addict.

My parents couldn't intervene because they almost always were never were home and never could for that reason tell that I had a problem with drugs.
  4. Makana

Makana Member

My first contact with alcohol, cigarettes and marijuana was when I was very young, probably at the age of five. My father and brothers used one or more of these drugs.At this point, small doses, mostly left overs, gave me amazingly high feelings, but the fear of punishment if discovered kept me from repeated use.
    Fast forward to my years in college. Having found freedom, I indulged in alcohol, marijuana and cigarettes. In order to achieve the nostalgic high that I experienced during my first encounters, I found myself taking higher and higher doses. Before long, I was addicted.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

For me it was fairly simple. I was shy and reserved and the friends I had at the time all drank heavily and seemed so social and "fun" - so I thought drinking would help me lose my inhibitions and be more social too. I guess I didn't really understand addiction at the time, and denied I had a problem too (which I'm sure a lot of us have done).
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Same here. I started smoking cigarettes and weed when I was in grade school (cigarettes) and high school (weed). I also smoked because of sheer curiosity, not really peer pressure.
  7. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I started drinking, smoking cigarettes, and smoking weed in high school. I did dabble a little in other drugs, but never got into it. I quit smoking weed right after highschool, so I guess I can consider myself lucky compared to some people. I eventually quit smoking cigarettes and only drink a little now.
    Winterybella likes this.
  8. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Next month I hope to hit the big 50. I still have not dabbled in drugs and on the very, very rare occasion I would have a social drink. Sometimes I have wondered what it would be like to get high or be drunk and there was a time I said I would try both just for the experience and to be a little radical having been raised in a very strict christian home. These days I don't think I need to experiment anymore.
  9. ciaran071198

ciaran071198 Member

The first time I abused a drug was when I was staying at my Grandads house and ended up raiding his alcohol stash (liquor, vodka, cider). I drank way too much and ended up knocking down the christmas tree (oops) and sleeping naked on my bed, like an ugly drunk baboon, for my Nan to discover the next morning!
  10. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I started smoking because it looked really cool, and I wanted to be part of that, don't judge me, I was about 16 years old. Now I'm 20 and I still struggle with that. I started to drinking and taking pills around that age, and now that I think about it a little bit more it was because I felt really empty, and I wanted to feel something but at the same time to be sedated.
  11. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Most of the time peer pressure is the cause of doing this. If you never smoked or drank before having the freedom to do it and being around a lot of people doing it can be tempting. Temptation is something that has to be resisted sometimes, especially when it's something that's bad for you. I started smoking in high school for similar reasons.
  12. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

I smoked two joins of marijuana with a couple of older women during high school, but I have since then stopped as I just wasn't turned on by the drug at all and thank goodness for that! Therefore from that moment hence forth, I will be clean and stay away from any drugs.
  13. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I started abusing alcohol my whole life. But it got worse the day my marriage was on the rocks. Alcohol was the only way to numb myself and from there, my life was spiraling out of control. I was even vomiting in my sleep. I would wake up and I would of rolled around in it and never once woke up to wash up. I was that drunk.