An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How did you start? What can others learn from this?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by singingintherain, Aug 19, 2015.

1. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

I had a few cigarettes at school when I was about 13. I lived in a small town with a lot of people living on the poverty line. It was not uncommon to see very young people hanging around and smoking on the street - it was just what people did. I didn't start smoking regularly until I was at college. It started really innocuously, just purchasing a packet before heading out for the night. I wouldn't even finish the whole thing over a week. Sometimes it would even go stale before I finish it.

When I get a very high stress job I started smoking much more. My colleagues all smoked too. It was during that time that my smoking became more about 'stress relief' and less about 'looking cool'. I have a feeling that when I was smoking as a teenager and at college, I likely wasn't inhaling properly all the time!

Obviously I wish I could go back and never have started. If I could offer a piece of advice to someone in a similar position - having started a high stress job and being around colleagues that smoke, I would recommend they deal with the stress in a more healthy way. Reinforcing a damaging habit is not a good way to deal with stress. In the end you just increase the stress you are under. I should have removed myself from the situation, either by looking for a healthier job or walking around the block instead of standing on the street smoking for my breaks.

How did your addiction begin? Do you think you can offer any advice to those who might be in a similar position?
  2. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I suppose there's nothing to learn. I started smoking as a teen because I thought it was cool and badass. Everyon told me that I wouldn't think that in a few years, yet I still did it. I think that after educating teens and the dangers of smoking, there's not much else one can do to prevent them from starting. Teens do what they want when there are no eyes on them.
  3. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I started smoking a very long time ago when I was a kid. I was just curious about it and thought it looked "cool" I have never really been "addicted" so to speak to tobacco but I would describe it as a habit...or maybe a psychological dependence, I will go days without smoking.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I was in high school, sophomore year. My cigarette addiction started at the same time as my alcohol addiction, which was pretty bad considering I was wasting all my part-time money from my job on my addictions. If someone around here is in the same situation remember to not give in to peer pressure and get away from those substances as soon as possible. You're never going to get something positive out of it!
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Mine was at my part time job as a teenager. Other people smoked mainly as a chance to get an extra break (the managers there smoked too, so it was "cool" to be a smoker in their eyes) and a lot of people took it up from there.

Thankfully I quit after a relatively short period of time compared to other people I knew who still smoke to this day.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I experiment . . .

I grew up in a small town and at that time, all kids in the neighborhood [both boys and girls] used to play together in one huge empty lot. And these kids came in contact with more "precocious" kids who were experimenting not with real cigarettes. It was nothing more than rolled up paper.

After a while they started getting cigarettes from teens who smoked. And we went further down that road . . .

I didn't like the taste of cigarettes though and quit before it was too late but some of my friends got to like it and to this day are still addicted.
  7. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

the stranger part in my smoking story is I didn't start young ! the first time I smoked was when I was 20 years old, it was my graduate year, I've gone with some friends in smal vacancy before graduation, I had a big stress on me, so I've smoked my first cigarette and I've relaxed ! I liked it and I started smoking since then ....
  8. Mzpeaceful1

Mzpeaceful1 Active Contributor

I first started smoking in the seventh grade. It was easy for me because both my parents smoked Marlboro Reds and would buy a whole carton and keep it in the cupboard so I would just grab a pack and they would never know because they would just think one of them took a pack. All my friends thought I was the cool kid because I always had smokes. But later in life after I had quit a few times it was stress or a death in the family that would always get me smoking again. I don't smoke any longer and I plan on keeping it that way!
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I also started smoking at school as all my friends did. Peer pressure is probably the biggest cause of smoking, and I'm not sure if it can be stopped.

Children will always want to feel popular and to be part of something when they're growing up, so to that extent I think peer pressure and smoking will always be a problem.
  10. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I am not a smoker but there was this one time when I was little a cousin talked me into smoking a cigarette. For me all it took was one time to choke and that did it for me. Anything that made me feel so uncomfortable I don't need. I have never picked up one again.