An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How do I break my texting addiction?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by tomorrowdreamking, Jun 8, 2015.

1. I text constantly and it seems to be interfearing with my life. I constantly think about my phone and I flip a nut if I dont have my phone with me for atleast 5 minutes. I mean Panick attck status. I have an Addictive personality and recently quit some bad habits. ;) I think texting is a replacement. How can I gain self control or find a more productive thing to do.
    thanks!
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Since you knew that it was a problem, try to help yourself to stop doing it anymore like convincing yourself more that it was just a waste of time. Or try to make yourself busy on other things like having a hobby or play a sport.
  3. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

Take a break from texting. I have to admit I am a texting addict also lol ;) Try to not use your phone, like let it go out of batteries and don't charge it till like the next 3 days. Join some sports or acctually call your friends instead of texting them.
  4. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

i have the same problem just text everyone and tell them not 2 text u 4 awhile and get used 2 not looking at your phone cause then u know u wont have any messages
  5. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

In my own experience anything used in extreme access people tend not to take seriously. How does this help you're addiction. It probably won't but if you're really serious, seek a counselor it might be a deeper issue.
  6. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

You might have to just cut your social life down a bit. Less of a social life normally in turns means less people to text. Which concludes with less of a reason to tex.
  7. lissetetiff

lissetetiff Member

I am also addicted to texting and I want to stop. Texting has affected my social life adversely because I find it hard to hold a face to face verbal conversation with other people, but I am very good at holding text message conversations.
  8. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Try locking your phone somewhere you wouldn't be able to get to easily and go do your favorite hobby. It could be basketball, could be biking, only you know! This would put your mind off of texting and you would be able to enjoy yourself!
  9. 6up

6up Community Champion

Do you text for free? How do you manage the charges? You must be idle. Have you tried getting some work to do? Then you should avoid your phone while at work. Find something else that may keep you busy. Otherwise you will be wasting time and money.
  10. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

That is a typical addiction and more dangerous than what you can actually think. Just imagine how many radiation the smartphone creates around you. It seems like a invented story but it's real, I've heard of people that they were texting and calling all day and 10 years later they found themself with serious diseases.
  11. rikka

rikka Member

You can seek the advice of a counselor.

And in your end, try to minimize getting into gadgets that make your thumbs tingle, like avoid using even your laptop or watching TV because you might abuse the remote control. Have someone in your house keep your phone where only he knows where it is hidden. And you can engage on other hobbies like making objects from clay, baking, getting into crafts, or going out to socialize with your neighbors and talking with them face to face.
  12. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

Turn your phone off. And remember, you aren't obligated to answer texts right away. No one is going to hate you if you don't. Just turn it off and leave the room
  13. regicide3342

regicide3342 Member

Just drop that phone. Dont take it with you, or buy a cheap nokia brick phone and dont text. People do have time and you will get rid of your addicition. Win-win situation for everyone :).
    LilAnn likes this.
  14. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I used to have the same problem but I now turn the ringer off while I'm out and since I don't hear my phone going off I don't think about it. Try to keep busy as well, go for a walks with friends or even just going to see a movie could help.
  15. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

I don't care what addiction or bad habit someone has, they all have the same best cure... Distractions. Stop thinking about it!
  16. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Too much texting drives me crazy because that is a lot of typing. Of there is something important you need to talk about with the other person, you could pick up the phone and make a call. I think the addiction is more of a matter that someone is thinking of you and engaging you in conversation rather than what is actually being said? Just leave your phone at home for a while a take a walk or some me time.
  17. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon doing sports or spending time with friends can distract you from using your phone as you will, be having good conversations with people you know and can go to the city or movies. Sometimes being on the phone may seem like a good idea, but it can consume the time you use as you can waste time and miss out on the important things that needed to be done. This addiction can happen if a person does not have anything else to do and can be alone, so may use this as a way of getting away from things that cause them to have stress.
  18. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I wonder who you'd be texting all day for you to be this addicted. You may have an undetected behavioral problem, maybe something similar to OCD. It would be better to seek expert advice if it's impossible to change your behavior on your own. For a start, think that you are the master of your soul and the captain of your ship. No gadget - not even a cellphone - can hold you ransom.
  19. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

This is the same problem I am encountering with my niece who lived with me even now that I am married because I am the one who took care of her since she was a child. She was a teenager now and she always carries her phone anywhere and everywhere and you will see her texting all the time. Even when taking a bath she brings it with her to the point there was a time that it fell on the pail with water. But surprisingly it only got wet and not damaged. I am always telling her that it is not bad doing that but she should set a time for texting and not the whole day or until sleeping time. I pity her because she is wearing eyeglasses already because of that texting activities. Then she hate to wear eyeglasses but it is already too late I said to her.
  20. I would say try to distance yourself from your phone for a while. before you text, as yourself if it is REALLY important. make a conscious decision to not pick up your phone.