An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How do I get my appetite back?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by TinVanMan, Mar 26, 2015.

1. TinVanMan

TinVanMan Member

So I recently stopped smoking weed for numerous reasons. Since then, I have really not been hungry at all. Is there anything I can do to stimulate my appetite until my body is able to reach its own equilibrium?
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Your body may have a different way of adjusting to new stimuli so my recommendations are very basic:
    • Exercise for an hour or two every day. Sweating it out will remove remaining toxins from your body. Since you're working out to bring back your appetite rather than to build muscles, there's no need for you to control post-workout hunger pangs.
    • Take vitamins, minerals and other health supplements. There are specific types of supplements tailored for people who want to increase their appetite.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I would definitely attempt to burn more calories. Your body will be quicker to tell you when it needs refuelling if you are able to kick-start your metabolism in this way.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  4. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I agree burning calories will increase your metabolism and increase your appetite. Not only will it get your appetite back, but it will also get your body tight and looking good for the summer ;)
  5. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think so, that you will need to change what exercise you do and also what you take in your body as that can make a difference in what happens in your body as well. You can also check with doctor as well as some minerals or vitmains could effect the body and also the food should be healthy as well. I think, that changing the foods can make some differences as also that it is interesting how differnt people can have a differnt effect in the body as well.
    IrishHeather likes this.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think you just have to wait it out. Your body and mind probably needs a bit of time to readjust especially if it's gotten used to having a certain substance for a long time and it's suddenly gone. If you want a quicker fix, though I suggest just start watching food shows, it never fails to make me hungry.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Is there not any other reason that you've lost your appetite? Everybody is different but I don't think I've heard that stopping smoking or any addiction can cause that? Its usually the opposite and people eat more.
  8. TinVanMan

TinVanMan Member

Thanks. Great suggestions. I am definitely getting back into more exercise. I also like the idea of watching food shows. That actually makes me hungry just thinking about some of what I see on there. I was also thinking that maybe going to a little nicer restaurant than I am used to would be a good way to get excited about food. Afterall, I am saving a chunk of money by not smoking.
  9. downsouth

downsouth Active Contributor

Yes physically exert yourself. If not with exercise then household chores and yard work for example. I feel especially hungry after a good swim.
  10. rightct

rightct Community Champion

My two cents is, that you have two options:
    1. You either wait until your appetite returns, as your symptoms of not being hungry are very common among people that smoke or have quit recently.
    2. You could either try to "force" your body and mind to somewhat think that they urgently need to eat, which you could achieve by self-stimulation, for example, or you could try to exercise more, like others have already mentioned.
    In my honest opinion, you should follow the second rule, as it's proven by experience that it comes to fruition, in most cases.
  11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Try working out. Your body will need fuel to recover. Eventually you have to eat.
  12. vikkiwinters

vikkiwinters Member

Just wait a while. I've been there, it passes.

Weed makes you hungry. If you smoke all the time, your body stops bothering to signal hunger; that role has been outsourced to the drugs. This is why your body forgets to want food at first.
  13. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I don't think just waiting for your appetite to get back is a good idea because you need energy to be strong and cope with withdrawal. So I think you should see a doctor and take some pills for a while to increase your appetite until it becomes normal.
  14. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

As others have said, do exercise for 1hour/day, take vitamins + zinc and drink plenty of water, it should make you hungry.
  15. cmleasure

cmleasure Active Contributor

I would just eat. I find that the more I eat, the more I eat. What this means is if I get up at say 10am but don't eat until 4pm, my stomach will shrink and I will not be hungry until that time, and not hungry again until much later, if at all. If I get up at 10am and eat breakfast, I will be hungry again by 4pm, and again later. You stretch your stomach out when you eat and so the more often you eat, the hungrier you will become. Just force yourself to get back into the habit of eating without smoking. Good luck to ya. :)
  16. devinametallic

devinametallic Active Contributor

I work out and that helps me to get hungry. If you're doing it right, it makes you tired and wanting energy so either you're gonna sleep or eat. LOL
  17. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

Do exercise on a regular basis. This is what usually helps get back your appetite.
  18. bavinnie

bavinnie Member

I suffered from the exact same symptom when I stopped smoking as well, working out will burn up the fat cells that are storing THC in your body and may help even yourself back out, but otherwise I wouldn't worry too much, just make sure you are eating enough to be healthy and wait it out. It will come back, it did for me and I know a few other people who it happened to as well and it's pretty much the same story all around.
  19. JadeVengeance

JadeVengeance Active Contributor

Everyone's body has a different reaction. Why don't you try exercising or taking vitamins? Maybe trying small foods first