An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How do I know if I am becoming addicted to Facebook?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by riptroggave, Jun 18, 2015.

1. riptroggave

riptroggave Member

I now have over 143 friends. I find myself constantly updating my status on my mobile. Every time I think of something funny then I must update my status with it. And the problem is, my addiction is being enabled by those who get a kick out of my statuses and the message me about it. Then I now have a bigger ego. This is a problem.

however. My life has not become un-managable because of this. I don't need to join FBAA I don't think.

But I wonder if I now have an unnatural attachment to Facebook. he he

And also chatting.

I have never met some of the people that I chat with, and I build up in my mind a perception of what they are like. And it may be totally inaccurate.

But it feeds my ego, and so I continue. And I continue.

which is a problem.

Plus I am a hottie, and my profile pic gets good compliments.

I can't help that I am more good looking that Brad Pitt, or Matt Damon. Even more hot that Chris Martin.

Help.
  2. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

A Facebook hottie? LOL U should add me then! LMAO Anyways, it sure sounds like you're an addict. It's natural to have a connection with a social network, especially if it's one you use to keep in touch with friends and family. Regular updating of status is normal but if it starts to effect your ego, then maybe you should have a more realisitc view of it - the people you chat with and the compliments you receive. Making assumptions about people you haven't met and have been chatting with is only human nature, but if it begins to feed your ego... then it's probably getting out of hand. Try to find a balance between reality and cyber. Be more socially active outside of Facebook - with real people and friends. Slowly, you'll develop a detachment to Facebook and hopefully be able to create a healthy understanding and user connection to it. Good luck!!
  3. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

"I can't help that I am more good looking that Brad Pitt, or Matt Damon. Even more hot that Chris Martin."

Thats what i call a big ego. Its one thing to feel confident in yourself and its another to start bragging that you're hotter than brad pitt, etc.
    Before your ego gets any bigger from facebook, go outside for a 1 hour walk. come home and read a book or something. I was really attached to facebook too but im getting sick of it because of all the lame/useless applications. 1 hundred something friends? thats nothing compared to my brother's friends ! He has over 400. He goes on it but he also goes outside and hangs out with his friends. Thats what you should do instead of doing whatever you're doing on facebook.
  4. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

You know when every time youu go on your computer or something like youur cell that u can access facebook on and u go on facebook before any other site, play on it for hours on end and never want to get off... that's exactly where I used to be in this situation but then i got sick of it...
  5. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

Not to be rude here. But your facebook addiction isn't as big a problem as that arrogant ego you seem to have. "Facebook hottie?" Come on man, you really need to get over yourself with that nonsense. Anyone can be an "internet hottie". Find an attractive person's picture, make a profile, and bam, new internet hottie made. So please, just stop it
  6. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Are you serious about the things you're saying? I honestly am at a loss for words. If you're addicted to Facebook or other SNS for that matter then something awfully wrong with the way you're living your life. Facebook is a theoretical world and it will not change your life for the better unless you use it for business purposes or communicate with loved ones who live miles away. There are so many things you can do in the real world. Focus on those things and live a happier, more meaningful life.
  7. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

You know you're addicted to facebook when you have to ask people if they think you are on another website like this. ANd if you have to ASK that, you already know the answer anyway.
  8. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

If it’s giving you fulfillment you can’t find out in the real world, and it’s where you’re placing all your self-worth - which seems to be the case - then there’s a pretty high chance you’re addicted. There are much more worthwhile things in this world than building an inflated, artificial sense of self-worth on the internet.
  9. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

When you start to prefer talking on Facebook rather than talking in the real life. That's could be a good sign of "hey you're becoming a serious addicted". Watch out for that addiction because it can become really dangerous with some personality. See the girl, Amand Todd, who suicided for being bullied over the cyberspace.
  10. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon it is when you spend more time than needed on the site, it is good to be in touch with family and friends who are not nearby you which is handy for me. I think you need to check the people who want you to add them and only make your page viewable for the ones who you know only and spend a short time on the site so you don't lose time. When a person believes they feel appreciated in Facebook and not in the real, world then it is a cause of worry and the person may not interact with people in the world.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Sounds like you are really enjoying the compliments you are getting on Facebook. You should be aware that not all that you can meet online are telling the truth or being true to themselves. Be careful on dealing with people you just met online. Try to think of other things that are more important in life than constantly changing profile and checking your FB account. :)
  12. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

Was the "hottie" and the "better looking than" world famous hotties, not just him being funny? I took it as a joke.
  13. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

I think you're addicted when you're posting every single detail about your everyday life and then actually think everyone cares about it. If you care about every single comment and constantly checking to see of people are talking to you and about you then you could be hooked.
  14. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I had the same problem. I think you can easily tell if you are an addict to facebook if you find yourself spending most of your time online there. Also if you feel the need to keep checking facebook very often.

I had the same addiction, but I had also noticed that Facebook was becoming a time drain, it was also making me feel really depressed. Mostly because everyone over there tries to pretend their life is so perfect, but in reality it isn't as perfect most of the times. It's all so fake there. I got tired of the drama, fake friends and relatives who were only nice to me on my wall. So I deleted it for good, end of the story.
  15. LilAnn

If the "hottie" jokes weren't actually jokes I would say being addicted to facebook might not be the issue. The issue may be low self esteem and insecurity. You can take 500 pictures, or selfies, and only post the really good ones, or maybe even photoshopped. And then you can feed off of people "liking" your pic, making you feel like you are worthy and good looking.
  16. juno

juno Community Champion

Your behavior is probably not really an addiction to Facebook as much as it is a Narcissistic Personality Disorder. You are using Facebook as a mode for getting the attention that you desire. There have been studies done where they found people who were overly obsessed with Facebook were more prone to be narcissistic and develop the disorder as well as other like depression.
    LilAnn likes this.
  17. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

I only used Facebook to connect and communicate with my family, relatives and close friends who are near and far to me. And honestly I had set strict privacy settings and I am not making or accepting friend requests from strangers. I am just using Facebook to update what is happening to my love ones and friends and nothing else. But maybe if you will just using this site reading and commenting on people's lives then you are just wasting your time and that will not help you to grow as a person.
  18. LilAnn

I had no idea any studies had been done. It just sounds logical to me.
  19. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I really don't think a hottie is going to brag about it. Perhaps you are looking for more attention in this forum. An admitted ego maniac who wonders if Facebook is an addiction. Constantly updating on a mobile phone and talking about how many friends whom you don't even know all of them. This is an addiction. Close it up and turn in off see how long you last. You are living in a fake world and you are seeking what you need in another human being through artificial means. It is empty and pointless. It wreaks of addiction and it is the newest form of it.
    It's like crack. You can't shut it off easily.
  20. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Addiction to social media.... It really could be productive if you think about it. Except, you're not delivered social media at all. I'd call it a way too obvious faux of it.

As per your question, knowing that is quite simple. Do you start to become envious, feel hatred and repelness toward others? Then you are becoming addicted, and it's counterproductive from a social point of view.