An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How do I know if I am becoming addicted to Facebook?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by riptroggave, Jun 18, 2015.

1. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

I recently quit getting on facebook at all. I figured out I was just really bored.
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Honestly, I felt like I was getting a bit that way with Facebook, so I deactivated a little while ago. It was getting to the point that I was checking Facebook first thing in the morning, last thing at night, throughout the day - it was a time waster and I was getting too invested in comparing my life to others.

I deactivated back in May and went "cold turkey" from Facebook and it's been great, honestly. So much time for other things and I don't feel like I am throwing time down the drain.
    LilAnn likes this.
  3. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

I haven't deactivated yet because that would result in cutting ties with a lot of people. But I was really bad, too. I had it pulled up on my computer all day while I was doing other stuff. The moment I found something to do that was better, it came down to a 5 second visit each day just to see if I missed anything. I haven't yet.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

That was the hard part for me too - for some people that I know, they literally are only contactable via Facebook - or at least, it was easiest to contact them on Facebook. I ended up ensuring I had everyone's email addresses (and that they had mine, too!) in the event that they needed to contact me - or even so that I could just drop them a line to say hello from time to time.
  5. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

It’s pretty much the only reason I don’t deactivate mine. I spent a LOT of time on there a few years back, mostly chatting with a couple of really close friends. It’s quite draining, and there’s so little on there that I actually care about. Alas, it’s the easiest way to get in touch with a few of my friends. I rarely go on anymore, but I can’t quite bring myself to take the bugger offline.
  6. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I think you use facebook to boost your confidence which can be positive or negative. Of course, confidence is essential in life and you need it to pursue your dreams. However, overconfidence can actually make people hate or be annoyed at you. Too much of everything can be detrimental so try to limit your facebook usage.
  7. 6up

6up Community Champion

You are addicted to Facebook if you find it difficult to do anything without updating your status. Nowadays young people spend most of their time online without doing anything constructive. You will be using a lot of money for data charges and yet you are not making money online. If you think that you are a chat king then look for ways of making money online. You can join many affiliate programs available online. You can also post for money, get paid to like, get paid to tweet etc. With this programmes you can make extra cash without worry of being addicted to it. If you manage to be making money then I can say that you love your work, but if you are making nothing then that is an addiction.
  8. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Nice post. I'm loving the confidence! How about you post your profile so that I can take a look at it? I'm not sure if you're serious or if you're just trolling, lol but here's my 2 cents. I think your addiction is fueled by the likes that you get. They spur you on to post more since you feel an ego boost from the compliments. Now if you want to get rid of your addiction, then try to stop updating your profile or better yet, deactivate it. Then problem solved.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  9. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Facebook is addictive period. Some people talk about everything they do every minute of the day. And if you like attention this could be the cause of your addiction. People will like your statuses all day long if you post them. If you don't use social media in moderation, you will be a facebook or twitter junkie.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  10. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

How much hours do you spend on your Facebook account each day? If you stay on Facebook more than 6 hours, you could be a Facebook addict, though we can't say straight, you should go to a psychologist for a decent view on this problem.
  11. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

The way you use facebook can help or hurt. Like all social media, if you use it to just talk about your own life it can be addictive. But if you use twitter or facebook for marketing or networking this will be helpful. Doing business on social media will help you keep a balance. Of course you don't want to be working all day, so you won't be on social media all day if that's what you use it for.
  12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Well, it sounds like you're addicted to Facebook but at least you recognize it and try to change. I don't know how I can help you here since I never stumbled upon something like this, but why do you care so much about what other people think about you? You will never see most of them, and if the people you're interested in judge you because of the appearances then you're not going to want to talk to that guy/girl.
  13. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

Okay I have to ask, were you serious with the "I can't help if I'm hotter than Brad Pitt" thing? I'm going to assume you were joking here, and that you're not trolling. If you're a troll, good for you.

At any rate, I think it's an addiction if you find that your Facebook stuff is wrecking other aspects of your life. If you're on there instead of getting work done, talking to people on there instead of spending time with people you actually know....if you seriously describe yourself as a "Facebook hottie" and mean it....you may have a problem.
  14. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Since you're an attractive person, people will gravitate to your Facebook page. There's nothing necessarily wrong with this. Nor do you need to deactivate your Facebook account, just stay engaged on there in moderation. Limit the amount of time you'll be spending on Facebook. Around 20-30 minutes a day should be sufficient. You can spend the remainder of your free time doing something more productive or fun.
  15. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

If you gave to ask the question, you may be answeing it at the same time. If you have a strong urge to use Facebook and fail every time to figure out ways to use it less often, you might have an addiction.
  16. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

@Tsky45
    Yes, Facebook and other social media sites used to eat most of my time. I figured what am I doing? I'm actually snooping on other people's lives, and for what? What do I get out of it? I realised that I could spend my time doing something more productive. So that is how I spent less and less time on social media. Whereas I used to spend hours on it everyday, now, I can go for days without logging into it.
  17. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Addiction to social media is something a lot of us...suffer, even if we don't really realize. In my case, a big part of my job depends of Facebook, therefore I spend quite a lot of time on that platform, on my work account, but also on my personal account in the same time.

What I've realized that the more time I spent on Facebook, the less topics of discussion I had with my SO and with my friends. If you value your friends, educate yourself to limit social media as much as possible. Trust me on this one.
  18. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

You are not addicted to Facebook, but to things that feed your ego. It's okay to be aware that you are good looking, and tell people who don't know you in real life about it, but you are overrating yourself there. Try to chill down a bit and get a grip on reality, and spend less time online. Remember that most people give compliments only to receive them back and make others think they are cool persons.

Oh, and, you know, 143 Facebook friends isn't that much.