An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How do I know if I've had too much?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Gin0710, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Gin0710

Gin0710 Active Contributor

I usually drink on occasion. You know, my birthday and New Year's. Maybe even Super Bowl Sunday if my team is playing (Go Hawks!). Anyway, the past couple of months have been a little tough and so I have been drinking more than occasionally. The irony is I didn't drink on my birthday, but I've had several occasions where I did drink and more than the usual. How do I know when I've exceeded my limit and when should I worry that it's getting out of hand?
  2. From what I know, everyone who drinks is supposed to 'learn' their limit; that point where you can feel you are becoming intoxicated. Your case is different because you are an occasional drinker and you therefore drink as you please. This is risky. You might one day end up doing things you regret because you didn't know you would get intoxicated. Perhaps, it would be best if you didn't drink at all?
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I feel that there's more than a limit issue here. You're getting sucked in . . . what may eventually lead to alcohol addiction. The mistake you don't want to make is set limits of sorts. If you are in a bar for example, you'll still want one more beer even if you've got to your 'limit.' You'll always want one more beer because the more intoxicated you get, the more your judgment gets clouded.

It would best to actually go back to drinking once or twice a year if you must or give up drinking altogether as it has been suggested.
  4. sillylab

sillylab Member

It sounds like you are starting to drink because you are depressed rather than celebrating a certain occasion. When you are using alcohol to escape reality that's when it becomes dangerous. I would recommend not trying to drink when you are feeling low because that can often times make things worse.
    Gin0710 likes this.
  5. Juan

Juan Active Contributor

What has helped me with knowing when to stop is knowing my body and the reactions it will have before starting to get intoxicated. It's not a "limit" of how many beers or glasses, it's when you start feeling that your body is malfunctioning somehow.

I'll give you an example. When drinking beer, there's a point where I start going to the bathroom practically after every beer. It usually happens around the fourth or fifth, depending if I'm being active our just sitting and drinking. When that happens, I stop. Period. I just get water or a soda on the next round. Maybe I'll get a couple more beers afterwards, but I know that I have to space them out. That way I've been able to go through a long celebration having no more than a half a dozen beers.

There are other signs that you can keep a constant watch of. The slightest dizzyness, problem with articulating words, balance, etc. There will come a time where you will catch them before they even happen. And of course, you're going to have to work on the will to stop on that very moment.

Know the limits within your body. When you start feeling that something might start getting out of control, stop completely. Drink something non-alcoholic. You can finish watching the game on sodas until your team wins, and maybe have a couple more to celebrate.
  6. Askani

Askani Active Contributor

My rule of thumb when drinking is to drink until I have that happy buzz and then stop. After that I just drink water for the rest of the night. I never have any hangovers, because I am hydrated when I do get home and head to bed to sleep it off. All a hangover is really is the effects of dehydration on your body. It helps if you aren't mixing drinks though also. Beer and alcohol are two different things and each has it's own time working through your system.
  7. Gin0710

To be honest, I've never gotten severely drunk before. At least not to the point where I'm hung over the next morning. I usually do okay and start drinking water when I know I've had too much. But I agree with whoever said that I shouldn't drink when I am depressed. That's not a good substitute for feeling better. Chocolate on the other hand....I don't know. :)
  8. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

In my opinion, you can tell if you've had enough drinks if you're starting to lose your balance while walking and if you feel real dizzy, like the world is spinning each time you turn your head. Whenever I experience this, I immediately stop drinking and I think everyone should, too.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Yes, chocolate is much better than alcohol when depressed. :D
    Sounds like you are not yet addicted since you still have control. Also you do not drink on a daily basis and not that much like those heavy drinkers.
  10. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hey Gino0710,
    This alcohol assessment test might be helpful.

Also, I'm moving this thread over to the alcohol section. Just so you know :)
    catherine_sky likes this.
  11. Gin0710

No worries Jen. I wasn't sure where to put it. :)
    Jen S. likes this.
  12. dolittle94

dolittle94 Member

I think that if you even have to ask yourself that question while you are drinking, then you should just put down whatever it is you are drinking and grab a glass of water. Think of that question as you conscience telling you that you've had enough. It's like that's your self doubt telling you that maybe you've had enough to drink.
  13. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It's hard to guess your limit when you're already drunk and in denial. This is what I do to limit myself. I like beer. when I drink a certain number of a particular strong beer, I know I'm going to be drunk. After you hit that magic number, then you know it's time to drink some water, and relax for a bit. Also go get something to eat, that helps.
  14. jsscjcbs

jsscjcbs Member

You know you had to much when you cant even remember what the last thing you were thinking about was. Or its definitely enough when you start to randomly pick arguments with people over stupid stuff like not putting the cap back on the tooth paste.:eek:
  15. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think as long as you're conscious of your habit and know to manage it you are fairly safe. I'm not an expert but I'm guessing everyone has their own threshold, but I think as a general rule you should just be conscious of when it stops becoming a fun activity and turns into a crippling habit such as not being able to function without it or not being able to think about anything else besides getting drunk. It's best to just imagine those scenarios in your head though rather than actively seeking out the lines.
  16. TPhoenix

TPhoenix Member

I drink as often as you do and that is occasionally. The best way to know if you're drinking too much is to take the time out to ask yourself after you've had a few glasses to chug. Am I feeling too woozy? Do I feel drunk? And maybe that's not always the case after you've had lots to drink. In such case, limit the amount you intend to drink and do not go over it. After that, tell yourself that's it. No more!
  17. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

I think it's quite obvious when we had too much, we get drunk. If we drink without eating it's more dangerous, so nothing like eating as well.
  18. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

Too much is when I start talking super loudly, and that's when I know that I have to stop. I've tested my limits, and I'm very glad I've done so, so I can control my intake when I am out in public. The first time I got drunk, I felt like it was also the best lesson to never do anything requiring fine motor skills while drunk. I can barely react and listen to my instincts, so I knew I definitely should not be operating a vehicle or heavy machinery.
  19. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

LOL, it's not just a matter of talking too loud, we totally lose control over our body, in my case I feel a dizziness and lack of inhibition that are not common in me.
  20. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

I guess you have to learn your limit and try not to go above and beyond that amount. Everyone's body is different but it is always wise to limit your intake to a minimal amount as possible. I got really drunk once and almost ended up in the hospital, I threw up and had convulsions for days after. That happened approximately 4 years ago and I have never had that much to drink again. It is always one or two shots and as soon as my head start feeling a little light I stop.