An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How do I know...

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Lucy, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Lucy

Lucy Member

How do I know if I am starting to abuse alcohol. Currently I really don't drink that much. But, they say you are not suppose to drink alone and sometimes I do. Is that wrong?
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

This quiz could be helpful
    http://drugabuse.com/screening/alcohol-assessment-test/

p.s No one starts out an addict. They start consuming alcohol in small amounts. They develop tolerance. Leads to more drinking. Eventually you get addicted. It hardly matters if you drink alone or not. The process is the same.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Before reading any screen test, I would like to think that casual drinking is not a problem unless you are physically hurting yourself, altering your lifestyle to support your habit, or affecting the people around you. Having a simple drink or two after dinner doesn't make you an addict. But when it leads to hurting others around you and altering your lifestyle, then that would raise a few red flags.
    Joseph likes this.
  4. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Simple: when one's ethanol drinking starts being detrimental and hindrance to what you believe is beneficial in your life, that's when you will start being aware and try to accept you are an addict for it. However, one's mind will try very hard to razzle-dazzle one from being aware of this knowing one is a addict, because that's what ethanol does to one's body and mind: it releases or blocks feel good hormones, which one's body becomes adjusted to like and through repetition, one's mind readily accepts the practice as okay - a habit.

How does one get rid of a bad habit, by growing into a good habit.
  5. SuphaflyUK

SuphaflyUK Member

Hi Lucy, I wouldn't get too worried just yet. Drinking on your own is not necessarily a bad thing but it can be bad if you do it all the time and to excess. I would say if you find yourself trying to conceal your drinking from others, lying about how much you drink, hiding your alcohol from others then its not a good sign. I say that because I have done all of the above and worse.

I used to steal booze from my parents and even money they left lying around I stole because I was so desperate to have a drink.
  6. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Do you feel you need alcohol? Can you stop using it right now? If you feel like it is becoming a need, rather than something you do now and then you may be developing a problem and should step away from it entirely, at least for a while.
  7. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

It doesn't require that much alcohol for one to embark on the road to alcoholism and self destruction. That single glass of wine that you consume daily could very well be the starting point to your addiction. If you find yourself in that comfort zone when drunk and you can't seem to find an alternative other than alcohol to be yourself, then things are definitely getting out of control and you need to stop with immediate effect.