An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How do marijuana users feel about other drugs and their users?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by twinworkxwellv, Jun 14, 2015.

1. i find that theres this sort of separation between potheads and users of more hard core drugs such as meth, heroin, coain etc. at least where i live

just to be clear, this isnt a diss on marijuana or any other drug. and im not asking about the comparison between one drug or another. just why there is this separation. most of the people answered how i was hoping
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I suppose the general consensus is that marijuana is nowhere near as harmful, to individuals and to society as a whole, than harder drugs. Marijuana isn't really associated with crime in the same way that heroin and meth are either and I feel this goes some way to mark the distinction between users.
    henry likes this.
  3. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

Alcoholics judge drug addicts as scum and drug addicts judge alcoholics as scum where I live. And potheads are very anti-pill. And everyone judges the needle users. Like one group is more respectable than any of the others
  4. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

i find to believe marijuana is NOTHING like the harder drugs out there. scared/ prude people pushed the innocent and sometimes very helpful drug away because simple they never smoked it. weed is a very helpful drug for helping people with AIDS and even cancer. but for some reason it got a bad reputation. never once did weed ever kill some one of an overdose unlike the very legal drug alcohol that kills thousands of people a week.
    and the hard core stuff is its own thing. weed does not get you addicted to crack or even meth, its the people and area where you hang around, pot is every where in the country, so many people in my home town, young adults, middle age people, even some old farts smoke the plant. but we don't have any crack heads here.
    so to answer your question "potheads" and "users of other harder drugs" are two different people. potheads maybe do try the other stuff but if they do get addicted to it they are most likely not a pothead any more.
  5. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

I used to smoke pot (and still would if it was legal) and I think if someone can maintain a good standard of living, I have no room to judge what they do. If someone smoked pot every day and had no job because of it, that's just as bad as if someone smoked meth all day and had no job. I just think it's easier to maintain the lifestyle that you want if you only use softer drugs.
  6. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

Well, there is a bit of a divide in a way. Weed is so common nowadays that most people don't even consider it much of a drug. So to people that use "harder" things, weed users seem kiddie in comparison. It all falls in line with peer pressure though.
  7. seatones

seatones Member

I think a lot of marijuana users have the idea that their substance isn't at all harmful compared to other drugs; what they are doing is completely fine and other drug users are a plague on society. It's true that marijuana isn't all that harmful in comparison, but obviously there are problems that arise from it. There's a bit of a divide there, but there's also a good amount of overlap. A lot of people who drink also smoke pot, which goes the same way for other drugs. The worlds aren't completely separated but I definitely get what you were saying; there is some truth to it.
  8. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

Personally, neither group should be judging the other. Weed isn't fully legal across the country yet and most of the hard stuff is fully illegal. It's like making a judgement on who gets to be the biggest loser. Not that people should point and judge anyway.
  9. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Personally? I was a long time user. I never felt the urge to differentiate myself, or that there was even a noticeable gap in doing so - but now you bring it up, I suspect it is because most people view marijuana as a substance like Tobacco , or at least not on the same level as the other hard drugs, so they tend to separate them.
  10. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

Well, from my experience when I was hanging out and smoking in college, potheads, math heads and alcoholics don't really bother each other. I don't think users of substances associated each other with any of their vices. Nobody cared if one used drugs or was an alcoholic.
  11. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, I always tried to stay away from people that did drugs that I considered dangerous. I never tried LSD because I've heard all about the bad trips, and I didn't want to freak out and become a public spectacle. Pot is child's play compared to coke and harder things. There's no pot overdose, not many people steal to buy weed, or sell their bodies on a street corner just to get their fix.
  12. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Marijuana is a weaker drug and doesn't have those heavy effects meth or heroin have. It's more of a "natural" or "recreational" drug, if you wish. At least that's how I see it. Marijuana users also have their mind clearer than heavy drug users.
  13. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I know plenty of folks who'd argue that Pot is nothing and that the fault lies with harder drugs, and even with the cop force seeing it this way it doesn't help matters any. The fact it'll become so commonplace might end up hurting future generations because they have access to it. But the same could be said of any other high profile drugs really.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes you are right there is a separation. I think people are drawn to different things. Pot users have always been sort of like this kind of click I think. People that try them all and end up with pot clearly just needed something. There's this like general feeling of it really being cool and ok to smoke pot. They just love it and all of this. The mellow people that seem to idolize it. They are all kind of the same way though you are right.
    It's funny you are saying that because I know someone who would drink and smoke pot all the time. He use to have a cocaine addiction. What is interesting is his actions sometimes seemed as if it were cocaine. I'm going to bet that if a dealer caught wind of a previous cocaine addiction they would lace the pot to keep the customer coming. This is where legalizing it is actually better. It is not controlled on the street.
  15. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

I've noticed anyone addicted to anything (heroin included actually) has the tendency to point their nose up at those they feel are doing the 'lesser' drug by comparison:

Alcoholic: *burp* Whatever, at least I can go into a store & buy my drink & don't have to hide from anybody...unless I'm driving or whatever BUT SO DO YOU!

Pothead: *exhales* Yea, man well at least I'm not a drunk who is addicted & has to drink in order to function or talk to people. I don't get violent. This makes me feel better. This is from nature.

Cokehead: *sniff* You're an idiot. What a lazy ass. I'm going to school WHILE I'm out here partying & taking care of more business than you can imagine while you lay there under the impression you can play that guitar but all I've ever heard is a crappy rendition of 'Smoke on the Water' 82 times a night.

So on...& so forth.
  16. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

Most marijuana users understand that their position on the drug abuse scale is at least 4 standard deviations below the damage which other drugs cause.
  17. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Everyone believes that marijuana is not as harmful as other hardcore drugs, but let's not forget that from marijuana, people usually transit to other more harmful drugs such as heroin and cocaine, and this is why I'm firmly against marijuana especially. I have nothing against the drug itself, but I just don't find its place in society either.