New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How do meth users act when coming down from a high?

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by dragonbvoide, Jun 5, 2015.

1. dragonbvoide

dragonbvoide Member

Let's say a few days after getting high like 2-4 days? Would he/she be tired? Sleep a lot? Be hungry? Less hungry? Depressed? Emotional changes
  2. Angie911

Angie911 Member

Tired and hungry. Sugar cravings. Eating large amounts.
    Or to cover it up, they'll claim to have flu like symptoms.
    nikkinikkinana likes this.
  3. Very hungry for junk food. Very tired. Depressed during the initial part of the "coming down" phase.
  4. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I know someone who, when they have stopped taking meth and got to a sober level, the person tends to feel more hungrier and have seen them eat more than enough and have breakfast and lunch in one meal and feel full. I have seen the person mostly drink sweet drinks or eat food which is salty, which gives them sugar and salt in the body and can circulate the nutrients needed to function in everyday use. It is interesting how a person changes when they are not high anymore, and the person can sometimes eat the foods which are not really healthy and have mood swings which can be good or bad at times.
  5. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Pretty much what everyone said above. Tired and hungry, but I would also like to add the fact that they don't require only sugary food. In fact, it depends from person to person, but yeah, most will require sugary stuff.
  6. There were times that my husband would disappear for a week. When he comes back, he's usually tired after staying up for several nights. I allow him to sleep for a whole day at least. Not that I have a choice. If I do something to wake up, a fight was sure to come. When he wakes up, if he's not irritable with every little thing, he would pick a fight with me. I usually leave him alone during this time. Then it becomes a cycle.
  7. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

hungry (blood sugar level falls), sleepy (you can even sleep for entire 20h), depressed (all bad emotions come back)
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

As others have said, they are depressed, drained of all energy, and they will want to get their hands on more meth as soon as possible just so they can feel better again. Hence the reason why, they get addicted. If they are not on Meth then they are in really bad shape.
  9. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

They have HUGE sugar cravings. Seriously, I have known a meth addict who only drank cola and soda due to his "hangovers". Also, they feel hungry and eat all kinds of (mostly junk) food. Their eating habits are like a little child's.
  10. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

It would make sense that someone craves sugar because meth directly effects the brain. It damages your brain cells and receptors. It jolts the brain with high levels of dopamine. Which causes the agitation, insomnia, depression, and other after effects. Dopamine and sugar are directly related. When the receptors in the brain are dysfunctional you require, and even crave large amounts of sugar. There is a lowered level connection between the receptors and the dopamine when overused, so you crave that dopamine causing the desire for sugar. Thus the addiction, frying of your brain and it's circuits. Your brain and you become addicted because those receptors are unresponsive to low levels of dopamine or sugar. Sugar increases dopamine but not the way meth does so someone would seek to eat a large amount because the brain knows what it gets out of it. When there isn't the same rush, you over eat sugar.
    gemini777 likes this.
  11. Roots4Me

Roots4Me Member

When discussing withdrawal symptoms of it is important to consider the duration and extent of usage. A person with an extensive usage history may experience a higher degree of withdrawal symptoms as opposed to a first time user. However as mentioned in previous posts, binge eating, fatigue and mood changes are all common withdrawal symptoms of any meth user.
  12. JakeLamotta

JakeLamotta Active Contributor

Yes totally agree with Root4Me, people who have been using meth for longer amount of time tend to show stronger withdrawal symptoms whereas a new user might have milder symptoms. This makes it all the more difficult to recognize the problem early.
  13. celestecerna

celestecerna Member

If youve been on a good run and being up you'll be so tired where you cant keep your eyes open, you eat everything, if youve stayed up all night and now have to deal with life without dope or sleep you get extra irritated, sometimes depresssed, nothing can make you happy, I would be comming down and want to die because I couldn't find happiness and I had no dope so it made me want to die which is very sad. I guess thats all apart of being dependent to crystal
  14. @confusedwife

@confusedwife Member

My husband stays up for days then binge sleeps but will work through it all. He will take 20 out of the atm almost every other night. No big money. Always has a legit excuse. The only decent meal he has had is pancakes and bacon yesterday and eggs amd gritz. The rest is junk food and sweets. He'll have spurts of energy and then sleep. I have found a behold furniture polish spray with out the spray thingy on it, I found an inhaler in his glove box but he doesn't have asthma, he has a shed, I have dug all through with no sure signs of drug use but because I have dealt with him being a functioning drug addict on and off for 8 years, I cannot shake the suspicion.
  15. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@confusedwife

Hello and welcome. Thank you for reaching out. I'm sorry that you're having to go through this. It does sound like he may be up to something. Are you able to sit down with him and have a real heart-to-heart conversation? Perhaps if you go to him with your concerns in a gentle and non judgmental way, he may be receptive to talking to you about what's going on.

I know that you have dealt with this before, so you do have at least a bit of knowledge about the nature of those in active addiction. You can't always trust what they say. He may be struggling with something else as well. Something going on underneath the surface, such as depression or anxiety or some other issue.

Have you been able to sit down with him and talk?
  16. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@confusedwife... Your husband's behavior does sound suspicious. I agree with @Dominica that sitting down with him for an honest, compassionate, heart-to-heart talk would be a great thing...if that's doable. I think that's a better option than searching through is stuff to try and find evidence. I know from past experience with my son's addiction that once we become "detectives," our loved one's addiction starts to take control over us. And that's not a good thing. Once we become addicted to their addiction, we will start to suffer mightily.

Let us know if you think you'd be able to have a real conversation with him about your concerns.
    gemini777 likes this.