An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How do meth users act when coming down from a high?

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by dragonbvoide, Jun 5, 2015.

1. dragonbvoide

dragonbvoide Member

Let's say a few days after getting high like 2-4 days? Would he/she be tired? Sleep a lot? Be hungry? Less hungry? Depressed? Emotional changes
    IrishHeather likes this.
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

When the high starts to go away, they will get highly irritable and tired. That's when they start to yearn for more Meth. Now if they don't get a fix soon after, they will fall asleep for a very long time. Some times days on end. I have know coworkers that were on it. They disappear and not come in to work for a day or two and get written up for not calling in to work.
    IrishHeather likes this.
  3. IrishHeather

IrishHeather Active Contributor

In my personal experience with meth users I find that it all depends on how long of a usage period that particular individual has been involved with. In other words if an person has been using for three days straight they will most likely have a 'crash period' where they sleep for an extended period of time in their bodies attempt to heal the damage from the use period. Interestingly enough, I have noticed that users that are 'drying out' do tend to eat a lot following the time that they were using. Again, I believe this is the bodies attempt to replenish the nutrients lost during the time that a person was high. Users will often go days without eating and drinking.

Emotional changes are a big part of the come down as this nasty little drug tricks the brain into a sense of well being, so it is quite plausible that a person will experience depression and low feelings until the brain realizes that the drug is no longer present and it has to start working on its own again.

Below is a great article detailing detox off meth.

http://www.treatment4addiction.com/treatment/drug/meth/detoxification/
  4. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

I'm assuming we are talking crystal meth here. (Even meth in other forms will give similar symptoms but not usually as severe.)

It is not unusual to binge for four straight days without eating anything; but usually they will get their calories from drinks. They tend to like sugar, sweet drinks. So it's not like they get no calories at all. They can go entire fours days without any sleep at all though.

You can tell when a crystal meth user is about to crash (sleep) his pupils will return to normal; they will be only slightly more dilated (dilated meaning pupils wide filling iris of eye) than when sober but they will still have that glassy eyed look to where you know they aren't completely back to normal yet.
    IrishHeather likes this.
  5. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

Users would normally sleep like a rock; after four days of non stop meth use; would likely sleep around twenty hours.

Tweek (meaning involuntary quick muscle jerks) while sleeping. Sometimes these could be subtle; or sometimes the quick jerks can be quite severe; lasting about a second then sometimes minutes go by in between jerks; other times involuntary jerking movements can be seconds apart.

Once rested and slept; user would get up naturally when body became awake and ready to start day. Pupils will no longer be dilated; eyes look normal.

Then user would eat; a lot!!
    IrishHeather likes this.
  6. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

They dont get tired till the drug is on its way out and that takes some time, depending on how much was done. Behavioral changes are a definite, only more severe than when actually high on the stuff. Tired but cant sleep but will eventually just fall out, pass out. Mean, hateful. Scared and paranoid. Tired but too fast to sleep. Really crazed and not to be trusted with anything...at all. Dont care about even life if it means they can get another hit. Will sell anything or steal anything. Will hurt for the high, themselves and others. Meth isnt something to play around with. Is very dangerous from beginning of manufacture to a while after the high. Not a good idea to be around, i reccomend getting away if i was you.
    IrishHeather likes this.
  7. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

They would be sleeping A LOT and not eating anything at all. Probably becoming really sick because meth is very addicting so he/she would be having with-drawls.