An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How do people become addicted to prescription drugs?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by daggerdeandoom, May 23, 2015.

1. I will just like to know how this happens. I've been hearing about it alot lately, but i jus cant see someone, taking a pill and becoming addicted to it. Whats fun in swallowing a pill???
  2. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

It not about the pill, it about the chemical inside of it. Oxycodone, for example, is extremely addictive. In short, oxycodone releases chemicals that make you feel good (dopamine). Every time you feel pleasure from anything, it is because dopamine is being released. Certain drugs, like oxycodone, release dopamine chemically, causing you to feel pleasure while just sitting there, doing nothing.
  3. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

Swallowing a pill really makes you feel better and more energetic. Their body finds it good that is why, they cannot sometimes resist the goodness tried when they take some of it and felt better. In case, you have known a person that is addicted to pill and can't stop taking it, there are several center for addiction treatment programs that you can go to, its one option for recovery.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Pills are very efficient in making their effects work, as evidenced by even the simplest ones like aspirin for headaches, so if that effect is pleasurable in any other way than merely just relieving some pain or illness then it can definitely become addictive very easily.
  5. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

It's not the pill itself, its the reaction with the body. i know, cause I'm in counseling now for it, and I'm hardcore addicted to pill popping. its like, the way you feel, you know?
  6. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

If it's a pill that makes you feel really good, your body's system adjusts to it. When you stop taking the pill, you feel *really* horrible.

But you won't get addicted to other prescription drugs if they don't make you feel good. For example, Vicodin kills pain, but also makes some people feel really "wonderful", that's why it's dangerous for some.
  7. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Like others said, too, it's not about the pill at all, it's about what you feel upon consuming it. If someone finds a whatever pill to cause whatever effect and he likes it, then he will perpetuate this behavior and take on a daily/hourly basis. This is how addiction is created, anyway.
  8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Indeed! it's the chemical and sometimes added flavors, as in example.

I remember myself in the childhood days being administered with a pediatric medicine I won't say the name to avoid someone else try this. The fact is that such medication has an orange flavor that mixed with other compounds in the formula give it a relatively nice and exotic taste.

Once in adulthood, whenever I used to see this over-the-counter medicine, here I was buying it to take it as if those pills were candy or snacks, until I realized of the risks involved, disclosed by the first side effects.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Some might got too dependent on some medications like pain killers. That made them taking much of it just to get rid of their pains and got addicted to it. This maybe also true on some other medications or pills.
  10. TPhoenix

TPhoenix Member

Sometimes it's not even the chemical influence pushing for more consumption out of an individual but other times along the lines of stress and depression that makes people not care anymore and want to take as many as they can, hoping they can find some type of escape.
  11. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

The fun in swallowing pill would be the effects that the pill has on the body. Many prescription painkillers contain opiates (like heroin more or less) and users using them to get high can develop an addiction quite easily. Also, people taking them as prescribed under the guidance of a not-so-great doctor may be cut off abruptly, leaving them two options - withdrawal from the opiates or find a fix - thus beginning the downward spiral of addiction.
  12. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Member

I didn't really understand how people became addicted to prescription drugs. My mom is addicted and I always wondered why, but from reading other posts I understand that it happens to be the chemicals that cause addiction. When a pill makes someone feel good when they may be feeling down or upset, they may want to continue taking it because of that effect. I do wish there were other things a person could do to feel a certain way other than taking pills though.
  13. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Some pills give you some kind of thrill, different pills have different effects. I have heard of a lot people living with cfhronic pain who become addicted to their painkillers. And that is the reason why I don't take painkillers right now, I do live with chronic pain, but I don't want to take painkillers yet.

I might start once I truly need it, but I truly hope that doesn't happen anytime soon. But I want to stay away from those pills for as long as I can. Not only because I fear dependence, but also because I already take 8 different pils on a daily basis. Pills i really need, by the way.
  14. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

If you suffer from chronic pain, be it physical or mental, and you finally come across a "magic" pill that makes it all better, it's easy to get hooked on a prescription drug. I had that experience myself when one weekend I came down with a terrible toothache and no emergency dentist was available until the following Monday. I went to the emergency unit at the hospital where they gave me a drug that instantly took away the pain, along with other aches and pains in my body. I thought it was marvelous, wondering how it would be if I felt that good on a daily basis.
    But, as I only ever take pharmaceutical drugs in emergencies, I never found out. And I know I never will.
  15. ejclarke

ejclarke Member

Psychological addiction can sometimes be greater than physical addiction. When someone regularly takes a pill because they might get a headache, or might not be able to sleep tonight, that is a warning sign that they are masking non-physical symptoms.

I had an uncle addicted to non-prescription headache powders, easy to obtain at most stores. The addiction was real. It is unfeasible that the main cause of the addiction was chemical though. And he never considered himself an addict. Nor does my wife, who takes six spoons of sugar in a cup of coffee (no, she is not diabetic).

Presumably psychological addiction to substances is often not seriously harmful. It must be fascinating food for thought for a plague of psychologists.