An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How Do You Boost Motivation For Changing?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

When someone has made a choice to stop using drugs they'll start off with enthusiasm but when they start going through withdrawal their enthusiasm flags.

Are there ways to boast one's motivation to keep fighting when they feel that they can't hold out any longer?
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Withdrawal symptoms are sort of inevitable. Most likely, every recovering addict would have to go through a roller-coaster ride of emotions. It's part of the recovery process. But yeah, it's important for family and friends of recovering addicts to always try to encourage and support them through it all, specially in that phase.

I think the best thing for recovering addicts to do when they feel really hopeless is to think/reflect about how far they have gone already on their journey to recovery. I think that would make them feel proud of themselves, and eventually, they would be motivated to go further.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think motivation is such an individual thing that it'll depend what works from one person to the next to keep them going. A reward system is helpful, or working out why you're working towards something and keeping that in the forefront of your mind. Breaking things into more manageable goals also helps a lot of people, I find - because when things seem insurmountable it can be pretty easy to lose interest and motivation.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I agree with a reward system or working towards something that you can keep your mind focuses. I think finding a hobby and keeping yourself busy is a great way to stay focused. Joining support groups even if they are solely online. Sometime just having people to talk to in your darkest of times and do wonders for you. Just to have a place to turn where others know your struggles and are supportive of you is a huge inspiration. Another idea could be to keep a journal to record your journey. That way when you are feeling the urges you can go back and read where you came from and how you got as far as you did.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While its important to have big targets to aim for in the future, it's equally important to have short term goals aswell, just to try and keep the motivation up.

The recovery process can be a long road to go down, and you won't make it all the way if you don't stop and reward yourself from time to time.
  6. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

I like to write a list of the reasons that I want to stay sober, and then I am able to take a look at these when times get hard. I usually find that it works quite well, and that I am able to get back on the right track after doing this, which is of course a great thing for sure. Motivation is key when it comes to being able to kick an addiction, so you should always make sure that you have ways to deal with it if you need to.
  7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

People should look at their past experiences as a way of motivation. I know it sounds hard but by acknowleding the fact that if you don't change you're only going to cause more grief they should at least have a little impulse to go forward. That's what I did and while it was hard to reminisce the bad times, it kept me going forward.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

You need to remember why you want to quit in the first place. Write it down on a piece of paper and hang it every where you can see it. On the mirror or on the door on the way out of any room. That is the reminder why you are doing this. If you see it everyday, then there is no excuse why you forget about it. It's right in front of you, always.
  9. harold

harold Community Champion

It is important to try as much as possible to remain strong. Stand strong and try to find yourself in places that will boast your moral or motivation. Keep a strong link with family. Stay around your family and friends and allow them to motivate you. Let your love for them remind you why you need to take the battle to an end. The truth is that you are taking a battle not just to please yourself, but to make the people around you happy as well. I know that there are certain families who can instead cause you to fall back into your addiction--families where everyone is addicted to drugs or a family where you are poorly treated.There is not much you can do about such a family. Keep a safe distance from them so that you will not be stressed. You can always keep a safe distance that will help you to recover, but you cannot stop loving them. After all, they are family. Stay in morally oriented places. I believe that a good church where Jesus is the center of focus will be a good place for you. Christianity is all about morality and morality embodies all the principles that make up a good society. Christianity will help boast your moral to keep fighting. Taking up membership in a non governmental organization could be a wise decision.
  10. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

To keep motivated, a neat trick is to consider your highest high point (no pun intended) while addicted and then your highest high point in life while not addicted. Then you have to consider the low points of both situations. When you think about those things, then the highests high point of non-addiction often makes you see how terrible even the highest high point of addiction was. That alone can be enough of a motivating factor to keep going on the path to recovery!
  11. soberjudge

soberjudge Member

I say that we have to renew our faith everyday and I don't necessarily mean that in a spiritual way. You have to reaffirm what you want and want that more than the life that you have been living. Otherwise, the momentum behind our habits are so strong they will continue pulling us along the path unwanted.

I'm big into Tony Robbins and other motivation stuff. Every single one of these teachers have morning routines to set themselves up for the day. I don't think it's any co-incidence that they are in control of themselves and striving for better quality lives. We don't have to be millionaires to do this, we can do it right now by making sure we start the day in the right way.

Sleep well, eat well, exercise and address our minds daily.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Boost motivation? Videos, movies, music, and books. Motivation mostly goes down because the adrenal glands are down. Lymphatics might be slow too. Drugs and alcohol can mess them up. The way you eat does effect this as well. Mood is associated with adrenals so if your low motivation is usually down there too.
  13. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think simply the prospect of a better life without drugs is enough for the determined addict to make a change in his life. Also, his family and friends can serve as an inspiration to not give up despite the obstacles.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Being determined though is only half the battle I think though. You can ask any addict if they're determined one day to get off their habit and they'll say they are.

Saying it, having that determination inside you but then using it can be two entirely different things.