An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How Do You Celebrate Your Achievements?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

When trying to achieve a goal one way to stay motivated is by rewarding yourself from time to time. Failure to do so would probably end in you losing enthusiasm because the horizon will seem ever so far away.

Advisable it is to reward yourself when you achieve small goals — One week sober. Two weeks — It's a reminder that you're doing something right, motivates you to do more.

Just curious if you are fighting an addiction right now, how do you celebrate your achievements?
  2. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

For me, whenever I want to celebrate my achievements, I splurge and buy myself something that I like. For instance, I am eyeing that dress in my favourite boutique but I don't buy it yet. I wait until I have finished my goal for that week and that dress is my reward for myself. It works sometimes because I don't really spend so much on clothes and if I do, I find that I have this taste for the higher priced ones. It might seem shallow but it does work for me.;p
    Rainman likes this.
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I treat myself to something nice, whether it's new boots, clothes, a nice meal or just a couple of days to relax. I'm a workaholic person so I tend to get burned out quite often, sometimes it's cool to just relax and watch movies all day.
  4. denise13337

denise13337 Active Contributor

I try my best to enjoy the simple things my addiction prevented me from doing. Something as simple as enjoying good food, making myself a nice meal. My addiction had gotten to the point where everything I ate just tasted like cotton, now that I'm slowly recovering I'm learning to appreciate the simple things in life.
  5. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

I don't really celebrate my achievements... I don't feel like I'm doing something special by not doing drugs. Reclaiming my life is my reward, living the life I've dreamed of for all those years under the spell.
  6. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

This thread brought to mind those little rewards my mom used to give my sister and I for getting good grades at school, then after, for helping with the cleaning of the house, and so on. Every reward celebrated an achievement.

When I was recovering from alcoholism, I don't remember rewarding myself for my achievements, and maybe if I would do it, the process would be way too much easy than it was for me.
  7. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

Well I certainly do not go all out or anything like that, but I do like to show myself some gratitude for my achievements, and a good meal and a relaxing evening does the trick. It is important to have little rewards to work for, because we always need to be reminded of the struggle and what we can appreciate now.
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I used to treat myself to positive things - things that would be encouraging health and wellness, and life goals - rather than destructive things.

When I used to add up how much I would have spent on alcohol, it was a fairy sizeable amount a week. I would treat myself to things like a facial, or a nice manicure, new workout clothes - things like that!

I also promised myself that I would save for travel, which was one of my big life goals that I knew I wouldn't accomplish if I was spending all my money on alcohol, and I'm proud to say I've travelled to a number of countries now! :)
  9. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Just taking time to look back and see how far you came works well. The best feeling is knowing that something that was holding you back is far behind you. There are probably different ways you can celebrate but this seems to be the best way for me. The reward is kicking the habit itself really.:)
  10. Elendil

Elendil Active Contributor

When I first reached my goal of staying full 4 weeks sober, I was ecstatic! I went out and immediately treated myself to a drink! :p

Jokes aside, I always reward myself with something really sweet. I have a massive sweet tooth and I usually make a pact with myself that unless I reach my goal, I will not, in any way go to the ice-cream shop just opposite to my house and partake in all that sweetness, even if it kills me. (Imagine the pain!)

And when I do reach my goal, I just run in there, order the largest scoop of my favorite sundae, and stuff my happy face full of that creamy deliciousness! :) It's a win-win, as I see it.
  11. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I didn't really have a specific reward for myself when I finally became sober. The happiness of finally breaking free from the chain of alcohol and nicotine has been more than enough as a reward for myself. I have been depending on the temporary effects of these substances for a long time and I guess the main reward I have right now is my precious state of sobriety.
  12. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I don't really celebrate my achievements, it's more like a personal thing... My reward is to know that I was enough to achieve my goal and the benefits are just there, like better health, the chance to spend my money on productive things, etc.
  13. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I used to celebrate losing each kilo on the weekend by giving myself that day off ;) Now well, I am not doing so much progress when it comes to my binge eating, but I believe I no longer eat as much as I did before. But can't get rid of the darn weight so easily :(
  14. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I celebrate my achievements by eating out or buying something nice for myself. It makes me aware of what I have achieved and it makes me feel fulfilled.
  15. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I would just treat myself to shopping. I do love buying new stuffs so every time I have achieved something, I always make sure to give myself some sort of a reward.