An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How do you cope with Christmas?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Cheeky_Chick, Nov 25, 2015.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

When offered, simply say "No thanks," or "I'm good," and change the subject. If the person pushing alcohol persists and will not let it go, move on to someone else to converse with. Usually people are just looking for other people to get drunk with so that they do not feel bad about their actions. Don't let it ruin the party, you deserve to relax and have fun, too, and you do not need alcohol to do that!
  2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

A lot of people get drunk around the holiday season because of all the stress that the holidays bring. We have learned to hold holiday celebrations at our house so we can control some of the activity and keep the drama at bay. People start talking about things and before you know it the whole party is chaos. It gets even worse when booze is involved.
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

My family understands my issues and all my friends know for a fact that I'm not touching alcohol, so they don't pressure me into drinking and I'm fine with it. I have loads of fun without getting wasted anyway, so I don't lose anything here. :D
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

The best way to do it is just do it. If your trying to quit drinking stay away from people who drink. If your coworkers are drinking tell them your trying to quit. If you beat around the bush it will make things harder for you.
    On the holidays find other activities besides drinking to keep you busy, I have family members that don't drink and some that do so it can be done. Happy holidays.
  5. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Simply tell them no. If they ask you why, simply answer that you do not like it. They should understand that it's a matter of preference and leave you alone. Being honest about it is way easier than trying to hide your past. They will also appreciate the fact that you do not like something so dangerous. It's a win-win situation.
  6. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

The holidays are so stressful. Honestly it's suppose to be about family and giving thanks for all that we have. However it's more like buying this and that going broke for one day of the year. I don't get worried around the holidays about falling off the wagon, but more about getting everyone on the same page and money are my biggest worries, but I know it is for a lot of others as well. I just want to enjoy a nice modest christmas .
  7. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

I think being around people you are comfortable with will help. If you are comfortable around them then you will have problem saying no to the alcohol and they will understand.
  8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Struggling with Christmas depends on your approach to this holiday season and what changes made to your life after recovery from an addiction, changes you want to make while in a recovery process, or simply feeling that you cannot longer cope with excess drinking even if you are not yet admitting to have an addiction problem.

I would say that everything should start with an evaluation of the season itself; is it just for having fun and drinking in excess? For sure it is not; basically it's a religious-oriented celebration that should invite us to reflect if not in religion, at least in one's spirituality or simply inner introspection for those who are atheists/agnostics.

Then after, it is time for families coming together, but not everybody is having a functional family, same as not everyone has friends seeing holiday season in a way that does not involve excesses.

So that the best way to cope with Christmas is setting up your own context and sticking to it, even if it involves stay away from the people inciting you to drinking, doing drugs or else.
  9. henry

henry Community Champion

Oh, yes, I hear you. Holiday seasons are the hardest to go through when you're trying to stay sober. There's drinking everywhere you go. And when the celebration is at your home, you can feel everyone's eyes on you just to see how you're coping with the situation. In my experience, the best thing to do is not to drink anything with alcohol, no matter how light it might be. I've tried drinking a little wine thinking I could control myself, but I'm sure you can all imagine how that turned out.
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I just drank a whole bottle some days ago, but haven't drank anything since then. I've been under a lot stress, and the fact the holidays are here served as the perfect excuse. Honestly I have no idea how I am going to get through the holidays every year during Christmas, I'm sorry, but I hate my husband's family... they are awful people and it's so hard to bear them. I will be forced to spend hours with them every Christmas, so no idea what am going to do starting next year. I have no idea folks, I can't stand those people, specially my mother in law, but the father in law doesn't make it any easier either with his offensive racist jokes.
  11. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I think it would be a great thing if you didn't live up to everyone's expectations. Just be yourself and don't pretend just to please your friends. You are the only one who knows about your past and what you're capable of. Stay true to yourself and have your own principles.
  12. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

Well Ive heard some things about drinking at Christmas time here on this forum and I just want to say: If your an Alcoholic you cant have One drink. One drink leads to another and then another and before you know it your drunk and making a fool out of yourself. This year Im going to avoid all situations that involve drinking. I dont want to be faced with the temptation cause Im not strong enough yet to say No. I feel this will work out for the best. Alcoholics cant just have one drink or a couple it doesnt work that way for us. I hope you have a safe Holiday and stay sober thru this tough time.
  13. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

I'm basically skipping Christmas this year. I went to one party and it was a strictly no drinking event. That will have been the only party I've gone to or will go to this year. I'm just not up for the struggle or being around people who are drinking.
  14. 6up

6up Community Champion

You can avoid drinking by avoiding your friends. It is not a must that you should drink alcohol. Alcohol addiction can affect your future life, better you think about it now. You can also spend a lot of money buying alcohol and yet you don't have other basic things. If your friends insist that you should take alcohol, ask them about the benefits of alcohol besides getting high.
  15. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Just say that you are the "designated driver", I'm assuming that you have a car and you'll be driving to go there, then I don't think they will question you or force you to drink after you said that.