An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How do you feel about mainstream singers that involve drugs?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Jasmine2015, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

From time to time I hear a few songs by so called mainstream singers/artists talking about drug usuage. "Can't feel my face" by the weekend is one of them. Some people may think it is fun and catchy but to those that actually experienced drug addictions, have you become sensitive to songs like this?
    jeremy2 likes this.
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I never had an addiction problem but I could say that I am cautious with those kind of songs. I personally do not think those are good songs or something fun to listen to. More if it is like promoting the use of substances.
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Nope, not really. Everyone sings about what goes through their mind at the time, and if they feel like they should make a song about drugs and addictions I have no problem with that. If I don't like it I don't associate with it, if I actually listen to the songs involving those substances those don't trigger me anymore.
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, I am more worried about the effect that kind of songs might have on younger listeners, I'd hate it if any of my teenage sons or daughters ended up being influenced by one of those artists, just because those or he thinks that if they do it then it's ok to try it too. That is the kind of message I got when I was a preteen and a teen... teens are specially susceptible at that age... trying to be ''cool'' and fit in. Most dangerous stage ever.
  5. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

I feel that they are really a negative influence on young people too. They leave the impression that everyone does drugs or drinks a lot, and that you have to do those things to have a good time. I think that the use of drug and alcohol references in songs have, at least in a small part, influenced the increase in substance abuse amongst young people.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Singers like everyone else have their rights. they can sing about whatever it is they please. While yes they negatively influence those who are impressionable there's no way to stop them. It's relatively easy to download songs online these days so even if some songs were censored, they'd still be found online and downloaded.

If you a recovering addict, since these songs can make you lose your focus, it's best to choose songs you listen to wisely.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think drugs in music and in films don't have as much of an impact as what people think to be honest, and while I'm sure some people might feel they glamourise drug taking, I think there's far more dangerous causes of addiction around to worry about.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

No. It really doesn't affect me that much. I guess it depends on how we interpret the song. If we put a bad meaning into this particular song, then surely, it would bother us. But if we try to think it as just another term for euphoria, then it would have a different impact to us.
  9. Azreal328

Azreal328 Member

This is an interesting point to make, though. On the one hand, the arguement could be made that it's only music and responsibility is placed on the individual to make the distinction. On the other hand, like @Tremmie stated, music plays a big part in the hearts and minds of young people today. When I was younger I would've wanted the freedom to listen to what I wanted, and often did partake in such controversial music, but as I get older I can see how this would have an adverse effect on young people; and that honestly does bother me. A younger, developing mind doesn't have the experience to make such a distinction. I am starting to definitely see the point of all the censorship issues I was rebelling against as a youth, that's for sure.
  10. 6up

6up Community Champion

Those artists are influencial and the kind of songs that they sing do affect mostly the youth in their judgement about drugs. Many young people do not take into mind the effects that result from taking drugs that is why they only focus on a fancy life led by a celebrity.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

@Azreal328 That's my point too! I couldn't have said it better! Young minds are no capable to discern why this kind of music is not good for them right now. They just don't get it, when I was a teen I thought my grandmother was just being mean and a prude for telling me I shouldn't dress certain way and listen to certain music. Now I totally get it, music and and will often influence younger minds... I'm so glad I don't have to deal with teenagers D:
  12. Jasmine2015

They sat you tend to get more conservative as you get older. Even as a teen I knew better than to listen to certain kinds of music because of the influence it can have.
  13. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I agree with you, but I haven't been really affected by those songs yet. The one thing that is really annoying for me is that a lot of songs/music videos are practically promoting drug use, and they actually talk about it as if it wasn't something that should be taken seriously, drug abuse is a really big problem in our society and it needs to be taken seriously, it kills a lot of people everyday.
  14. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I just don't like when there's a glorification of drug use - that it's made out to be the fun thing that everyone's doing at parties, or things like that. There's a lot of songs out there that seem to have quite a carefree, cavalier attitude towards drug use and abuse and even though some people mightn't pay attention to it, there's others that may be influenced.
  15. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

I do not agree with this type of singing. Especially due to the fact that we have children whose minds are like sponges, quietly absorbing all of this messed up information. If it were up to me these artist would be banned from ever singing again.
  16. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

It's good that you knew better growing up. It's most likely because you had good parenting or adult influence though. Thank God for that.
  17. Jasmine2015

I would say it has more to do with me not wanting to waste energy on something that is bad or not worth it. Like it might seem like a good idea to binge on donuts but then I would have to work to lose all that weight.

Besides, I played in my high school band and maybe that has something to do with why I'm picky with my music. I've noticed that lots of songs tend to play the same old beat, same old lyrics.
  18. LindaSuzanne

LindaSuzanne Active Contributor

Songs have been made which refer to drugs for decades. Some of the Beatles tracks from Sergeant Pepper were definitely a bit suspect and there was a lot of speculation about what they meant and whether they referred to 'tripping' although they insisted some of their lyrics were just made up rubbish and meant nothing.

I'm a bit oldfashioned when it comes to lyrics. I don't like reference to drugs and I hate songs that are littered with the f-bomb. I think musicians should act as good role models for their young fans. I'm beginning to sound like my mother who always liked 'nice words' in songs
  19. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Naw it is usually mindless lyrics, and basically if you are affected by mainstream pop's ideas of how you should act and be you have a bigger issue than the addiction sadly.
  20. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I think that it's quite unfortunate that such kind of artists use their popularity and fame to glorify drug use. Many people especially teens look up to them as role models and the effect of this is that quite a number of youth are getting into drugs just because their so called role models make substance abuse look cool.