An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How do you feel about women smoking while pregnant?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by samanthasays, May 1, 2015.

1. samanthasays

samanthasays Member

I think it's horrible enough to damage your own body let alone a living being inside of you that has no ability to protect itself. With this being said I've been seeing a lot more pregnant women smoking lately and I'm wondering if the younger generations views are different.
    IrishHeather likes this.
  2. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

I cannot stand women who smoke while pregnant. When all the facts show that it is harmful and they still ignore it INFURIATES me. I honestly think nicotine and cigarettes kill peoples brain cells if they think that smoking while pregnant or even smoking around children is okay.
    IrishHeather likes this.
  3. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I don't think anybody thinks it's okay. The problem is that addiction just isn't as simple as "bad, so stop." If it were, no one would have a problem with any substance. This forum probably wouldn't even exist.

Now, if the suggestion is to find ways to help pregnant women stop smoking, I'm all for that.
    karmaskeeper likes this.
  4. IrishHeather

IrishHeather Active Contributor

As a woman myself, I so agree with TripleD123, seeing a pregnant woman smoking drives me into an rage! :mad:

samanthasays, you asked if the younger generations views on smoking while pregnant have changed in modern times, I think they must have because I too have seen more and more woman smoking while pregnant. I recently watch one of those "what would you do" shows on t.v. and you would be floored on the amount of folks that just passed a smoking pregnant woman by without saying a word! Perhaps we need to start emphasizing teaching the dangers of substance abuse while pregnant to our young ones at an earlier age. I know that schools and parents touch on this subject, but maybe we need to push the issue further. O.k. I'm jumping off my soap box now... o_O
  5. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

That is one of the few things I really can't stand. They aren't only destroying their own health, they are also risking their own child's health. I feel bad for saying this but mothers that have no care for their unborn child's safety has no business being a mother.
  6. vikkiwinters

vikkiwinters Member

Drives me bananas. I think parents have a responsibility to their children to avoid poisoning them until such time as they learn to read warning labels
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I feel sorry for the baby for having such a mother. The pregnant woman should at least think of the baby inside her if she really do not care about her own health. It is really annoying to see.
  8. cmleasure

cmleasure Active Contributor

That should be the easiest reason for a woman to quit. It seems non-negotiable to me. It is a choice to put yourself in that harm, but it is not your child's choice to have to grow up with whatever health consequences because you were too selfish to quit smoking while your baby is growing inside of you. I haven't seen too many pregnant women smoke, but I do know it happens. I am under the impression that most people quit smoking when they get pregnant; I don't think it is too common.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I think that any pregnant woman must be mad to smoke, the problem is it a down to the individual to make her own choices.

People can look at their behaviour and not like what they're doing but smoking isn't illegal so they can't really be stopped.
  10. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

I think it is sickening to see someone doing that. You are not giving your baby a choice. You are pretty much killing them while wating to give birth. Totally unacceptable. There should be a law on this.
  11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

These ladies need to be put in jail or something, or heavily fined. You're not giving your little one any chance in life by subjecting them to smoke.
  12. JadeVengeance

JadeVengeance Active Contributor

I know people whom have smoked during pregnancy and if I am honest, it really annoys me knowing that.
    There is a human being inside you and not only are you harming that cute little baby, you are harming yourself. People who are healthy are losing babies due to complications and women are smoking and giving birth to babies that are alive. They should put themselves in other peoples shoes for one day just to see what other people think and feel.
    I think that it should be stopped, personally as it is sick.
  13. keekz38

keekz38 Member

There should be a law or some sort of penalty for people who do this. It's forcing another human to withstand a harmful environment against their will. If it were up to me, cigarettes would be banned altogether.
  14. miro1231

miro1231 Member

Smoking directly damages every living cell in your body, includin the child you are bearing. I think people should take some sort of tests or other activity before acutally being permitted to have a child. You would be amazed to find out what kind of things mothers do while pregnant, or even after giving childbirth. Some people are just not meant to be parents, and that's a fact.
  15. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I feel they either don't care about their to-be-born or kid, or are simple uninformed, though the latter seems not so plausible given the unlimited information we get on the Internet. There should be severe punishments for them.
  16. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

Pregnant women smoking is really wrong. They do so much damage to the baby, even before it gets born. I'm pretty sure most of them already know that this is wrong but they still do it, this is something I can't understand.
  17. 6up

6up Community Champion

Smoking can cause fetal death or spontaneous abortion. Smoking reduces oxygen supply to the fetus due to supply of nicotine and carbon monoxide. Smoking can later bring about problems to the child including higher risk of asthma and reduced lung function. It can increase the risk of the child being overweight in childhood. Chemicals in cigarettes can also pass from mother to the baby through breast milk.
  18. Missfortune81

Missfortune81 Member

Pregnant women who smoke make my blood boil. If you can't quit, then don't get pregnant. Period. My mother admits that she smoked when she was pregnant with me and guess what? I was born with Spina Bifida. I'm not saying that was necessarily the cause, but i really just don't understand it. I know it isn't easy to quit, but it just seems selfish to me.
  19. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

I feel like they are killing their unborn child. This is one big NO. Don't smoke if you're pregnant.
  20. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Most likely they are too addicted to smoking to be able to quit for 9 months. It's horrible for the child though. It's awful for such a young being to be exposed to something like this.