An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How do you feel about women smoking while pregnant?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by samanthasays, May 1, 2015.

1. JSBabydoll

JSBabydoll Member

I have to say that I do not agree with smoking while pregnant, but there are two sides to the coin. I have three children and am NOT proud to say that I smoked through all three pregnancies. I tried to quit during each, but it was much harder and the doctors said quitting while pregnant after smoking for so long could be more harmful than helpful to myself and the child. I am a stress smoker and also smoke when I get bored or to fill time. While I was pregnant I was hormonal, stressed at times and also not working...so I smoked more than I would like to admit. But I want to express the reality of how hard it was, not make excuses. By no means am I condoning my actions, but the addiction is a real thing. If you try to quit too quickly there can be some serious physical effects, not to mention the mental cravings and mood swings. It is a lot more difficult than people realize, but there is a lot more information available now for natural ways to help quit smoking and will definitely be trying those to help quit for good. For myself, my children and for any children that may come in my future.
  2. They need to suck it up and think of the baby inside them. I am a smoker and if I found out I was pregnant I'd quit immediately.
  3. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

I can't stand it when women smoke while pregnant. I feel like if you can't stop smoking for yourself at least do it for your unborn child whose life you are carrying. This would motivate me to quit smoking because I wouldn't want to harm my child and damage their health.
  4. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

I smoked for the first 10 weeks of my pregnancy and there was no harm. Now, I will say I do not respect women who do not TRY to quit or cut back or just don't care. I didn't find out until I was almost 8 weeks and my doctor advised me to not quit cold turkey so the withdrawals wouldn't stress me and the baby out but to instead take the next couple weeks to cut back until I could quit. I used dumdum suckers as a replacement. LOL
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Women shouldn't smoke when they are pregnant. But considering all those argument about "tissues" and when a fetus should be considered to "alive" it would be hard to get the law to protect the unborn. A jail term for the offenders would be great but then there's feminism. My body, my rights. But what if the unborn baby is a girl? Shouldn't her rights be the mother's concern too?
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

As someone who went through pregnancy recently, the thought of doing ANYTHING to jeopardize the health of my baby horrifies me. Once you're pregnant, it stops being about you anymore. You're 100% responsible for someone else - someone who didn't choose to smoke, someone whose health and well being is solely focused on you.

Yes, I might sound harsh, but I smoked for years and gave up a couple of years before I got pregnant. If I had still been smoking and found out I was expecting, that would have been the biggest reason to quit. I don't care if it would have made me feel like crap - my child's health means more to me. Would I want to deal with a child born with a nicotine addiciton? No way.
  7. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

I believe if any one can make an impact on pregnancy and smoking it would be the physicians providing prenatal care. I may be talking out of the side of my neck but I am sure that there are many physicians that are concerned with women smoking while pregnant so why aren't they making an effort to do more about it?
  8. serenity

serenity Community Champion

If I saw a pregnant woman smoking, I would view her as someone that's irresponsible and doesn't care for the welfare of her kids. The whole thing just doesn't sit well with me.
  9. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Well said I totally agree. It's not a switch you can simply turn on, and off it's much more difficult. Addiction to anything is very strong having the will to stop doing unhealthy things not only for yourself but others is something we all want to do. Sometimes it's just extremely hard doesn't make us bad people.
    Zyni likes this.
  10. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I smoked with my second pregnancy and let me tell you why. I had a husband who was in jail and a three year old to take care of. I worked two jobs, had no health insurance and had no family in the state I lived in. In my sixth month I had to move an 1100 square foot two bedroom apartment all by myself for a 17 hour drive across country to move to my sister's. By the time I got to see a doctor I was an emotional mess. I told her I was smoking 2-3 cigarettes a day and explained my situation. I was actually told that the stress I was under plus the stress of quitting would be more harmful for my baby than just cutting back. So I cut back to 1 a day. I luckily have a very healthy happy baby even though it was a very tough pregnancy.
  11. Jericho Mercado

Jericho Mercado Active Contributor

I think it is wrong that they do this. Not only is it gross to see but if you think of the medical effects it will have on the unborn baby, it is not fair to that life to be subjected to this awful addiction. I and we all know that nicotine is a difficult habit to quit but I know of many women that quit smoking when they found out they were pregnant.
  12. SarahWorksAtHome

That's kind of what my doctor told me as well. That quitting all together cold turkey could be very stressful to the baby. However I was a pack a day smoker so she did want me to quit, just gradually and slowly.
    I'm very glad your baby is healthy and happy and I really hope life is less stressful for you now and that YOU are also healthy and happy. That was a lot to go through during a pregnancy!
  13. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

My mother didn't smoke when I was young. She was an avid smoker and somehow endured ten months of not smoking while she had me. When I confronted her about it, she just shrugged and said "Just in case something did happen, I just didn't want you to blame me when you grow up." My mother didn't really know the hazards of smoking while pregnant, but I am forever grateful that she didn't.
    There are some drastic effects of smoking while you're pregnant, and can do some atrocious things to your baby. Here's a link that I found from a quick Google search: http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-smoking-during-pregnancy-affects-you-and-your-baby_1405720.bc.
    The website basically tells you that cigarettes include more than 4,000 harmful chemicals like lead (pencils) and cyanide (salt, basically) that will go into your body. Of the 4,000, there are more than 80 compounds that are the leading causes of cancer. They can cause stillbirth (infant dying in womb), premature delivery (delivery before 9-10 months, baby not likely to survive, abortion suggested), and low birth weight (less chances of being a healthy baby, decreased chances of survival).
    Those are the drastic consequences, though, and personally, I've met a few mothers who smoked during pregnancy and their babies turned out just fine. Others, premature death.
  14. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

It's awful! Women who smoke either don't understand the risks or are indifferent to their babies. It's a taboo on motherhood and such women must be censured severely for being irresponsible. Alternately, education campaigns can have some kind of positive effect in discouraging soon-to-be mothers from smoking.
  15. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

Y
    Yes life is very good now. I had to get rid of my alcoholic ex who was constantly in and out of jail.Things are stable and no longer toxic. Thanks for asking
  16. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

How I feel? It makes m sick to my stomach, those women shouldn't have children, they don't deserve to be called mothers. Why? Because they are selfish and stupid enough to expose their children like that! Out of pure selfishness. No excuses anymore, older people could blame it on ignorance, but during this time you can no longer claim you had no idea smoking in the presence of a child is bad.

My fiance's parents did that to him, they ought to be the most stupid persons I have ever met, no common sense whatsoever. Sadly their kids will end up paying the price, specially their son who is now trapped in the same vicious circle.
  17. SarahWorksAtHome

Isn't that just a bit harsh, saying that those women should have children or don't deserve to be called mothers? There are so many more horrible things people do. I totally agree that it is unhealthy for the baby. Don't think I'm giving a pass on that or just being defensive because I took a few weeks to wean off under doctor advice- I'm saying that it's one unhealthy habit. You are also not supposed to eat too much fish when pregnant, scoop a litter box, drink caffeine... and that list goes on and on, but would you say that any of THOSE women who do those things shouldn't have children or deserve to be called a mother? Just curious as to where the line is drawn.
  18. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I stand by what I said and nope, not harsh at all in my eyes. And I will explain you why in this entire post: in my opinion those ''mothers'' are supposed to take care of their baby, not harm it. It is a very different if you want to destroy yourself, but adding a little helpless being to the mix who doesn't have any say and can't defend itself is just plain cruel. Sorry, but those women shouldn't be mothers in the first place, specially those who keep doing the same thing despite knowing the facts. And by the way, is not emotion or ''heart'' talking in this entire post, it's mostly pure logic.

Sorry if my opinion bothers you,not my intention to offend anyone, but this is the opinion I have on those ''mothers'' who smoke while pregnant. This is in NO way an attack directed at anyone. My feelings might be strong about this one because right now with all the info out there... EVERYONE is supposed to know cigarettes are pure poison. I know there are very clueless people out there, people with little to no common sense, but come on! I can't really see ignorance being used as a excuse anymore, back in the 70's or 80's I'd have believed it, but not now.

It has been proved that smoking while being pregnant can have a lot direct consequences on the baby, even affect the weight (underweight babies). Smoking during and after pregnancy can increase the odds of ''Sudden Infant Death Syndrome''. If there is a woman who is selfish enough to smoke during her entire pregnancy despite knowing all those risks, then yes, she SHOULDN'T be having kids, specially if she plans to do the same with the another one.

It's so plain selfish to do such a thing, what kind of person would keep smoking after knowing that could cause the baby to be a premature one or die early? That behavior has selfish written all over it, as well as careless, irresponsible, etc.

I'd additionally say it can even be perceived as evil if you come to think about it: a woman keeps smoking during and after her pregnancy, even after being warned that could kill her baby. She is exposing her baby to 4,000 different chemicals, 43 of which are known to cause cancer in humans and animals, if that wasn't enough there are 400 additional toxins in an average cigarette. She might know or might not know it (she'd need to have no common sense not to know, really) but all those toxins end up in the bloodstream, they don't only stay in the lungs after inhalation. So those chemicals are injected right in the bloodstream of the baby. How can that be a good mother?

This is why smoking is not only known for causing lung cancer, but many other types of cancers. One of the chemicals that I'd worry the most is Formaldehyde, when you light the cigarette and smoking you are liberating traces of this mortal gas. And this is why I throw a death stare at anyone smoking in a public place full of people. By the way, cigarettes also contain Toluene, the same chemical used to make benzine. It is also known for causing cancer and affecting the human body in so MANY different ways. Both chemicals are used in the embalming process. I could make a list of all the chemicals found in an average cigarette and explain its effects on here, but it would take me 2 or 3 days to complete it. If not more.

Why am I so mad at those women? Well, when I first found out I was pregnant I got a doctor appointment asap, talked about the foods I should avoid and what I should and shouldn't do. What meds I needed to stop taking, etc. I did what any good responsible mother would do: get informed. Because as a mother is our responsibility to get the info and all the facts, said info is widely available online can also be easily found online. Just in case common sense is not enough. No excuses. No more: ''Gee, I had no idea that was bad for the baby''. Not in this decade.

Before I am done I just want to say I have NOTHING against smokers in general, my fiance is one but he smokes outside. I get mad at him when we are walking down the street and he starts smoking, because I end up inhaling that crap! Still I am ok with him, but if he exposes our children or me while I am pregnant... he'll be in BIG trouble. I really have no troubles with smokers, only with pregnant women who smoke and won't quit (I have already explained why).

And by the way, you can't compare cleaning the litter box with smoking... the former is a common chore, the latter is something someone is doing because they want to do it, not because they have to, even though they know it can kill them. That is the difference. Smokers are slowly killing themselves because they want to, no one is forcing them. I know nicotine is addictive, but come on, I am a former drug addict and alcoholic! I know someone can be sober and drug free if they really want it.

Kudos to you for quitting smoking on time, you sound like a good, responsible mother, unlike like the mothers I was talking about in this post.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  19. SarahWorksAtHome

.... but they can't do it overnight without suffering withdrawal.
    So as you are walking down the street you see a woman with a small belly smoking a cigarette. Do you know her story? She could have only recently found out she was expecting (ever see the show "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant?" It happens.) and she could have been a two pack a day smoker before she found out. How do you know her doctor didn't suggest she slowly cut back over time to avoid putting the baby through the stress of withdrawal? It could be the only cigarette she smokes each day.
    Maybe she was addicted to meth or crack and smoked also and was able to quit those and is slowly coming off the cigarettes too.
    My point in that is, you don't know her story. You don't know what her doctor has advised her to do. You don't know by looking at her how far along she is unless you've gone up to her and said, "excuse me, may I check your cervix?" and you don't even know if she's pregnant or if she's just given birth or if she's just big in the waist or even has a tumor. When is it okay to ask a woman when she is due? Never. I have a friend who is on the thin side but is short and carries all her weight in the mid-front. She looks 8-9 months pregnant at any given time. She is asked all of the time when she is due AND has had someone call her out over the DJ equipment in a bar thinking she was pregnant and drinking/smoking. She isn't pregnant. And that person just made themselves look like a jerk.
  20. artkat96

artkat96 Member

I think it's terrible. The child has no control whatsoever over it and they could suffer some really serious physical damage before even opening their eyes. It's really sad.