An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How do you feel about women smoking while pregnant?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by samanthasays, May 1, 2015.

1. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

There are some really judgmental people on this thread. Reminds me of the "no sympathy for addicts thread."

What site is this again?

I'm glad people are so perfect and have never felt the sting of addiction and they can put themselves up on pedestals high enough to look down on other people. I'm sure such attitudes are immensely helpful to pregnant women who WANT to quit smoking but are having a hard time.
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I think it is selfish and a terrible thing to do to your unborn child. You make the choice to smoke your child does not. It irks me to no end to see a pregnant woman with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth. There was a time when people didn't know the damage that smoking while pregnant caused but today people are well aware of all the risks. There is no excuse for this. You should put your child's health first, above and beyond your cigarette addiction.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I think I made it very clear that my comment (about not deserving being mothers, etc, etc) was directed at those women who keep smoking during pregnancy despite knowing the risks, the ones that don't even try to quit. The one that keep smoking even after the pregnancy, that ones. And YES, I still stand by what I said.

Life is not fair, you, me and everyone else will often be judged wrongly... same to those pregnant women who are trying to quit. They might be trying to quit, truly trying, they might not. Still they will be judged, that can't be helped. And I do feel for those moms who are smokers and are actually trying to quit, but this is life and the sooner they learn to deal with it the better for them. Life is not fair.

I NEVER intrude in people's life. I never ask when anyone is due and never go out of my way to verbally harass a pregnant woman who smokes. Sorry you didn't get the big picture of my post (not like it matters), but it should be pretty clear I am NOT the kind of person who jumps to conclusions as soon as she sees someone doing something that looks questionable (I am quite rational, should be easily seen in my previous post) . I am a former addict who has recovered, I have hit rock bottom and if there is something I have learnt is not jumping to conclusions asap.

I'm not some kind of obnoxious bigot who is pointing fingers at everyone doing something I might consider wrong. If I see a person smoking and she has a big belly, I don't immediately freak out and obsess about it. Because I know she might be either pregnant, overweight or just very sick. But I do feel disgusted if I see someone who is very likely to be pregnant (very pregnant) and is smoking (It's a free country and I am free to feel and think whatever I like - sad part is I can't even control that feeling of aversion). But other than that I don' think much about it, and don't ever call it out: not my business. They get all the info they need from the doctor or online. I have enough issues to deal with right now, no time or energy to waste my energy on that kind of things. Believe it or not. They are just strangers after all.

Yes, everyone has their story and battle. So do I! Yet, I have gotten judged so wrongly most of my life. I learnt to suck it up a long time ago, like a big ''girl'', because in order to be happy you have to learn not to sweat the small stuff. And what a stranger says or thinks of you is a small thing to me.

In the end it's their body and their life; I'd NEVER jump to conclusions like that... not to the point of calling someone I believe to be pregnant out and nag her. NOT my business. But I am entitled to my opinion, and this opinion will NOT change anytime soon. I am hurting no one, so, unless having my own opinions and thoughts becomes a punishable crime in itself... I will NOT stop exercising my freedom of speech and thought.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  4. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I do feel for the babies as I have one too and I will never do anything to hurt him. That being said, being addicted to cigarettes is really a reality for some women. I do not smoke but I do not condemn women who do, it is their body and their choice.

However when a baby is involved, you symphatize with the baby and not the mother. The child is an innocent being, and as the mother it is your responsibility to ensure his safety. If you had unprotected sex, then be aware of the consequences, do not use that reason as to why you smoke because 'you did not know there was a baby'.

I know someone who is a chain smoker and when she got pregnant, she did not stop smoking. But she tried though and she probably had a few sticks every week. As her friend, we tell her that she is endangering her child. And she did feel guilty sometimes she throws away her cigarette. She at least tried but of course as she is quite addicted to the cigarette, she may have still smoked. Thankfully, the child is born healthy and normal.
  5. Anahap

Anahap Member

I feel really sad and angry when I see a pregnant woman smoking. I feel like going to her and telling her to put out the cigarette and never smoke again until her baby is born. But you can't really do that, can you?
  6. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

I don't like to see it at all, but at the same time I understand addiction, and I know that the stress that she may have to put her body under in order to quit could be just as bad for the baby as it might be to have one or two cigarettes per day. Of course I would rather they didn't smoke at all, but sometimes that's simply not an option for them, and we just have to try our best to remember that everybody struggles sometimes.
    Zyni likes this.
  7. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Of course pregnant women shouldn't smoke, but it's her choose, like she is responsible for her actions,
    it's her decision and it's her who exposes the life of her child, it's her who will later regret it and will
    have remorses.
  8. aliciadow5898

aliciadow5898 Member

I'm pregnant and my addiction to cigarettes is the same is JSBabydoll's.. I smoke due to stress and when I got pregnant I was also addicted to marijuana.. But I stopped smoking marijuana and I cut down to 1-2 cigarettes a day.. I know that it's not perfect but my husband is a chain smoker and he still smokes marijuana so it makes it a lot harder for me to quit. I feel horrible everytime I smoke. I normally do it when the baby is sleeping because feeling her move while i'm doing it makes me emotional which just makes everyhting ten times worse... I hope I don't get judged too harshly..
  9. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I've made it a point in my life to always speak my mind when I see something that clearly is wrong. And pregnant women who are smoking is very wrong to me. I will walk up to them and approach them in a friendly way, not accusing them of anything, I just tell them about my concerns. I don't care if they tell me that it's none of my business, as I know that they will go home and think about the incident of a stranger walking up to them and making them aware of their responsibility towards their unborn child.
  10. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

No judgement from me! I'm very proud of you and want to congratulate you on your efforts! It was incredibly good of you to stop smoking marijuana completely. I will imagine you smoked more regularly before hand so if you smoked more and cut back to 1-2 a day- that's progress and definitely cutting down the risks! It sounds like even if you quit, you would be exposed to second hand smoke. I wish you had better support from your husband (not trying to cut him down! Just saying it'd be great if he could quit or cut back along side you!) it would make it much easier on you.

Can I suggest some things that helped me when I was pregnant? Dum dum suckers! The little lollipops. Not only did they help with the nausea and upset stomach but they began to replace the need to smoke over time. Having one in my hand made me feel like I had a cigarette there and it relaxed me a lot. Long showers helped, as did short walks outside enjoying fresh air. I would try to be in places I couldn't smoke, so often if I was bored, I would go shopping or registering for baby gifts! Wandering through the store thinking about my baby would get the desire for a cigarette off my mind. It took me a bit to wean off of them but I did and I'm sure you can too, though I am NOT overlooking how far you've come already. You go girl! Best wishes on a safe and healthy baby!
  11. Coolkidhere

At least you are trying. That is what is important. Maybe in the next few weeks you can quit it completely. Just talk to your baby everytime you feel like smoking maybe she or he can calm you down.
  12. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

I feel like it may be caused by indifference, ignorance or a crazy addiction. The first one is despicable. The second is unfortunate and needs to be addressed by society. While the last is the saddest of the three. A caring mother/soon-to-be-mother having difficulty fighting her demons is heart-wrenching to me. She knows it's bad for her baby but the addiction is just taking over her. People may think that it is so easy to quit. But believe or not. Not all of us are fortunate enough that little effort can kick the habit. This is also applicable to other substances.
    Zyni likes this.
  13. Coolkidhere

I love this post. Indifference, ignorance and addiction! You nailed everything.

There are smoking mothers who does not really care, who does not know and those who cannot stop. I just hope it is easy to distinguish between them but it never is easy. Unless we personally know them and their life story.
  14. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

I do not feel like women who are pregnant should be able to smoke. I think cigarettes should be treated the same as alcohol when it comes to women who are pregnant. I think the growing baby has no chance at a healthy life if the mother is smoking while pregnant.
  15. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I think it’s terrible, if someone really want to have a kid and if that person is a smoker, then they should quit during the pregnancy, when the children is born I think that they can start smoking again but being careful enough to not damage the health of the children at all. My mom used to smoke before she were pregnant with me and she quitted smoking... it was hard for her, but she was able to handle it, after I was born she went back again, but quitted a few months after that.
  16. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

You shouldn't really smoke when you pregnant. I've seen worst once I saw a girl drink while she was pregnant. I think some women have to realize what they put in there bodies the baby gets also. If some one can't stop smoking that could be a problem. I think drinking and smoking shouldn't be done when your carrying a baby.
  17. SarahWorksAtHome

You know, that's an interesting idea. It might make it harder or less tempting or possibly make it easier for a woman to quit if she cannot just go and buy them but... several challenges come into play. How does the clerk know she is pregnant and not to sell them to her at the store? How do the people she is smoking around know she is pregnant. Especially if a woman dresses in baggy clothes or is already overweight, it may be hard to know she is pregnant just by looking at her even at 7-8 months! Even if made illegal, there's no real way to enforce or regulate it very easily.
  18. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

They should have their child taken away. If you can't refrain from smoking while pregnant then you should refrain from being sexually active because you're not mature enough to have a kid.
  19. notathrowaway

notathrowaway Member

It seems like it would be a really bad idea. I don't think I've ever actually seen this.
  20. SarahWorksAtHome

It is. It's a struggle though, as all addictions are.
    The chances are quite high that you probably have seen a pregnant woman smoking before, however, you just didn't realize it. Many women don't look pregnant! It's a misconception that you can tell if a woman is pregnant just by looking at her sometimes.