An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How do you feel about women smoking while pregnant?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by samanthasays, May 1, 2015.

1. GabinoTapia

GabinoTapia Active Contributor

No woman that is ever pregnant should be smoking. By smoking, the mother of the child is hurting the child. There is a great danger for those who do smoke while pregnant. My cousin used to smoke but thankfully gave up smoking just before she found out she was pregnant and the baby was healthy. I think that if a women wants to smoke she sould not have a baby or wait at least a year or two before and after pregnancy.
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I can only feel sorry for the child, really. If a mom is so unresponsive that she can't even stop herself from smoking 9 months I imagine the education her kid would get will not be that good. I always try to tell people that are in this situation, but they don't seem to listen.
  3. SharkyJen998

SharkyJen998 Active Contributor

I don't think the views have changed to favor smoking while pregnant. It has even more of a negative stigma today if anything due to our awareness of its harmful effects.

There have been some conclusive studies recently over the damaging effects of QUITTING a substance that you are addicted to while pregnant. According to recent research, the fetus goes through the same withdrawal symptoms as the mother when she quits smoking. Depending on the severity of the addiction, I have heard of instances where moms were encouraged to reduce their nicotine intake rather than cold-turkey quitting to avoid shocking the fragile fetus.

I am not encouraging smoking while pregnant, but I do suggest talking with your doctor before starting or stopping any substance while pregnant.
  4. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

I really hate women that smoke when she is pregnant, she is hurting her young child who can't protect him self, the nicotine will be in his blood and he didn't see the light !! that's really bad !
  5. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

I personally think it is very unsafe to smoke while pregnant and can do harm to the developing fetus. When I first found out I was pregnant I was smoking half a pack of cigarettes a day. I had a threatened abortion and quit smoking immediately. Luckily my son was not born with any lung or breathing problems and he was a healthy birth weight. I had a friend that smoked throughout her pregnancy and her baby was born early and had a lot of respiratory problems. Smoking while pregnant is dangerous and it's sad to think of the harm it does to the developing baby.
  6. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I cannot stand to see a pregnant woman smoking. I feel so bad for the baby as they do not have a choice in the matter and can do nothing to stop it from happening. I can understand being addicted but if your baby's health and well-being is not enough to make you stop then what is? When I found out that I was pregnant, I quit everything including caffeine. My baby was more important than my addiction and I have not turned back since.
  7. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

Smoking during pregnancy should be a no, no. Any well thinking mother should realise that they would be causing considerable harm to their unborn child. It's probably now the time to impose sanctions on those women who smoke during pregnancy.
  8. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Smoking is really bad for all kinds of people, even more for a pregnant woman. When a pregnant woman smokes, it will put the life of the child inside her in danger. If the smoking woman is my relative, I would immediately pull the cigarette out of her mouth, if she is stranger, I will remind her.
  9. Hozyboy

Hozyboy Active Contributor

I do not believe this. I have never really met a woman who smoked while pregnant but I know enough to know that that is a really bad idea. Most women I know do not take anything with alcohol let alone smoke.

If I even lit a cigarette in front of a pregnant woman I know I will be heavily reprimanded by alot of people around.

I am usually cool and would say that it is a personal choice, and it is, but why risk your baby?
  10. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Why?? I would ask them "WHY!!??"
    Why would you smoke if you are pregnant?
    With everything we know today about it....
  11. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

There are a lot of women that give up smoking while they are pregnant. After they give birth they start smoking again, that is just as bad as smoking while pregnant.
  12. lost247

lost247 Active Contributor

I was trying to quit (down to 3 cigarettes a day) when I found out I was pregnant. I have not had a cigarette since that day. I feel smoking while pregnant would be like blowing smoke into a baby's face. I would never blow smoke into a baby's face. I really cannot understand how some women can smoke while pregnant.
  13. hell2say

hell2say Member

Oh My God! The Women! The Pregnant Ones!
    I don't understand them man. How can they be so selfish and unemotional? Anything can happen to the baby inside the womb. What if it gets born crippled, or with a clot in the brain? Anything can happen. This is a really serious issue.

I just don't see pregnancy and addiction in the same picture. Either quit addiction or don't even dare to get pregnant. As simple as that.
  14. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I'm glad to see you quit, if you were only smoking 3 cigarettes a day your baby came and gave you that extra push to stopping smoking and the fact that you didn't pick up the habit again after having your baby is fantastic. Good for you :)
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  15. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Smоking сigаrеttеs is рrоbаbly thе Nо. 1 саusе оf аdvеrsе оutсоmеs fоr bаbiеs. Thе соmрliсаtiоns fаr tоо mаny timеs: bаbiеs bоrn рrеmаturеly, bаbiеs bоrn tоо smаll, bаbiеs whо diе bеfоrе thеy саn bе bоrn аt аll. In my viеw, рrеgnаnсiеs wоuld bе sаfеr аnd bаbiеs wоuld bе hеаlthiеr if рrеgnаnt smоkеrs соuld sоmеhоw swар thеir hаbit fоr а sеriоus disеаsе suсh аs diаbеtеs оr high blооd рrеssurе.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.