An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How Do You Feel When You Don't Take It?

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by deewanna, Apr 22, 2015.

1. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

Of course I know how it feels. But I want us to discuss it individually. I am guessing it might be different for different people. Since our body does not work the same way and we all possess different levels of self control.

If you have been on any type of drugs before or you are still on it, how does your body feel when you can’t get it?
  2. Plus

Plus Member

I definitely felt anxious and my body and mind were really letting me know that something was missing that would normally be there. The way I fought through that was usually sleeping quite a bit in the early days of quitting, by sleeping I was allowing my body to get over those initial jitters and get plenty of rest while I began the detoxing.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I would feel bored and restless if I couldn't get any coke when I had the urge. Thankfully, there was no physical pain involved in quitting but the boredom and the apathy I felt was really something else.
  4. wahmed

wahmed Active Contributor

My husband with cigerrettes and without is a whole another person. He says he feels restless
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'd imagine that all addicts would feel the same, anxious, restless, irrational, irritable etc.

That's the side effects of the addiction and the mental side of the habit that people probably find the hardest to break.
  6. dreeklass

dreeklass Member

When I don't take it, I don't feel any much that different as far as my body goes. It is more of a mental thing for me. many times, I don't even need to feel those physical effects. I just need to know that the drug is there for me to fall back on, in the event that I should need it. That is the need that I seek to fill - that comfort, if that makes any sense.
  7. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

When I was addicted to alcohol, I couldn't go without it for more than three days before I started getting moody and obsessed with the thought of having to have a drink. If I didn't satisfy my urges to have that drink, I would start feeling depressed and also highly irritated. Now I know it was because my liver was throwing out toxins. But during those years I didn't understand what was going on, so I kept topping up with alcohol to make myself feel better.
  8. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Irritable and antisocial, mostly. I felt the need of repeling people around me because they wouldn't want to share their stuff with me. Yes, I went on to some great extremes there, but this is what happens when you don't or try not to consume for a very long time, unfortunately. Luckily, it's all good now.
  9. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I had good and bad days back then, some days I felt physically ill, and I wasn't even sure if it was because I might exaggerated with the doses or if it was something else. For me it was more like a mental thing, it was me trying to run away from everything and everyone, so afraid to deal with my own internal demons... trying to find something to shut them up and make them disappear for a while.

Up to this day am still having troubles with my inner demons, but I am fighting :) Sadly I know have issues with food... I had a chocolate chips muffin and it was so pleasurable... and am not only talking about the flavour, the mere act of eating it... savouring it, smelling it... am addicted. Next week I need to start working on that.
  10. panda

panda Member

It feels like I need it to validate myself. I can't deal with stress without smoking. I have terrible insomnia and the only way for me to get a moderate amount of sleep is weed.
    Whenever I try to stop, I become unsociable and irritable. I'm surprised people stay around me with all the mood swings I have.
  11. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

When I quit alcohol, I felt like I wasn't even able to carry on a conversation while sober. I was feeling nauseous and tired, and bored most of the time. I began to loathe myself. My best friend kept me motivated, as I did not want to hurt her anymore, and this thought was making me feel worthy. I am really proud of myself and the fact that I didn't disappoint her.
  12. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Anxiety seems to be common denominator for most of us when we can get the substance we are addicted to, whether is alcohol, any given drug, or other substances or addictive patterns of conduct.

I still struggle with this from time to time, particularly when I feel overwhelmed and wanting to have something to cheer me up, but then I recalled the bad times drinking in excess and try to get something else to cope with the increasing anxiety to get at least one last shot.

Usually a chocolate or candy do the trick to stop that urge feeling.