New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How Do You Find Recovery Groups If You Live In a Rural Area?

Discussion in 'Other Recovery Support Groups' started by Rainman, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I've heard that there are few or no recovery support groups in rural areas. Even the churches where one is more likely to meet people will have no such programs because when people live in small communities few will be willing to admit that they have an addiction problem and will not for that reason seek any help because they fear being judged.

If someone lives in a rural area and wants to beat an addiction but needs support where do you think they could get it? Create a support network of their own? Find a recovery group online maybe?
  2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

While online recovery groups are a good way to get the support you are in need for when living in a rural area, precisely religious groups are more commonly seen doing social service by visiting remote towns from time to time.

However to have them visiting depend on many facts; waiting for them scheduling a visit as their sole decision, getting someone writing a letter (or email) to request the visit letting them now how the rural community will benefit from this visit, going after a local authority asking for it and so on.

The best way to find this support is searching for "recovery support" "social service" "rural areas" or using similar quoted keywords.
    Rainman likes this.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

In my country it would be so hard to do such a thing in a rural area, heck even in the city I don't think they offer a lot options... The best I've been seen so far is NA groups and that's it... the rest is very expensive rehab centers. I'd not wish to be in the shoes of an addict in the rural areas in my country... poor souls.
  4. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

Even when I lived in the city I still traveled out of town to go to meetings. I used to laugh thinking that if everyone else did the same we wouldn't actually be accomplishing anything in terms of anonymity, but it always seems to work out in the end. The "anonymous" word in the AA name should mean something anyway, so if you do recognize someone there should still be mutual acknowledgment of each other's privacy out in public anyway.