An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How do you get an addict to know their an addict?

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by Twinsmommy31, Jan 20, 2015.

1. andrewjames

andrewjames Member

The mainstream media has put it into people's minds that a kind of full-blown intervention is best, but this isn't always true.

To begin with, just try and bring up random addiction-type topics into everyday conversation, and see where that leads. Very often this is enough to get someone opening up and maybe talking about themselves. Give it a go, see if it works.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Twinsmommy31... I highly recommend a book called Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change. It's a book that's written for people who have loved one's suffering from addiction. It offers tremendous advice on how to talk to them using love instead of anger, and also talks a lot about self-care, which is so important when you love someone who's addicted. It's a book I wish I had when my son was struggling with his addiction. I really think it's the best book I've ever read on the subject. By using the tools and techniques discussed in the book, you may be able to get your loved one to start seeing the light.
  3. Thejamal

Thejamal Active Contributor

From my experience, the only effective means is to continuously let them know how much their drug/alcohol addiction is hurting themselves and their family. Keep bringing it up, keep asking them to get the help they need, get others involved in their life, etc. They ultimately have to choose to help themselves and you and others in that person's life can only help guide the person to the decision.
  4. harold

harold Community Champion

Yes, you are right, the truth is the truth. Sometimes it's just important to go straight to the point. What is the use of being afraid anyway? I know it is very challenging to tell a close relation that they are addicted and need to seek help, but you need to gather your strength to do it if you truly want to help that person. The challenge is not an easy one. You need to be stronger than your normal self and just tell them the truth. The important fact about telling the truth would be the manner which you do so. Avoid being recklessly rude. Speak the truth, but speak it on a low tone. If the person does not listen to you after this, then you can get someone else who you know the person will respect to come and speak to the person. I believe that being truthful is very important here.
  5. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

Well, you can't actually force someone to know or realize anything, but you can simply tell them the truth and hope it sticks. They are free to be in denial and not change if they want. Back away from them if need be, so that their destructive behavior is not hurting you.
  6. Snakevenom

Snakevenom Member

A friend has once been in your position, their parents were addicted and they didn't know how to tell them. The only way that he could make them realize it was to show them how it affected him. Once they saw that they had accepted it and talking about it became significantly easier. Just try and show them and help them partially realize it themselves, that way they don't feel like their being judged.
  7. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

People really do know they have a problem. Trust me even if they don't come out, and say it. In their hearts they know. I don't know the full reason why people won't get clean or even try. I think for the most part they are just scared.