An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How do you mark milestones?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Cheeky_Chick, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

When I have been sober for another month, I buy myself a gift, something that I can display in my home to show just how much I have achieved. I always find that being able to mark it in this way is a great thing as it lets me see around me just how far I have come.

What about you? How do you like to mark your achievements?
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Well, from time to time I like to reward myself for doing so good and to also keep going. I may buy a nice watch, expensive clothes or nice meals for a week just because I have the money now. Being sober is worth it now, haha!
  3. PingPongCall

PingPongCall Active Contributor

I don't actually, I just keep moving forward.
  4. juno

juno Community Champion

Using an object to mark your milestone is much like the 12 step program and how they give coins. I think it is a great idea and almost a reward system for makeing it to that point when you get to buy something nice for yourself. I like to reward myself with treats, like a nice dinner or desert. However, I think a lot of people need be careful with food as a reward, since that can become an addiction as well.
  5. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

I think the best gift you can give yourself when you are reaching a milestone, is self reflection. Look at your life, your mindset, and your struggle, and you will find pride in yourself. Look back and compare and you will realize that your own life is the gift, and you preserver by not destroying it.
  6. PingPongCall

PingPongCall Active Contributor

After readin a lot of this stuff, it really makes me want to make more of an effort to give a **** about reaching a certain length of time with out having done anything wrong. But then I think to myself how foolish that is, since being sober is something people should be doing anyway?
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I used to reward myself. One of my main goals for getting sober was that I really wanted to travel the world. I would reward myself in small ways initially, like going to a nearby city for a day of sightseeing and doing something interesting like visiting a museum. After 5 years of sobriety I booked myself a flight to New Zealand for a vacation!! So for me it was pretty travel related when it came to rewarding myself for goals.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There was a time I used to count the days and blogged about my journey to recovery. Day #1 Sober. Day #2 Sober but I gave up on that when I relapsed. From then on I focus less on how long I've been sober and try instead to stay sober for just one more day. That strategy has worked better [for me] because the short term goal once it is achieved motivates me to keep fighting.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I think it's important to celebrate your achievements at the same time you also have to realise that they're just stepping stones and you still have to keep going till you reach your end goal.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I take note of the date and celebrate by thanking the Lord for what I have achieved. I also buy something nice for myself to mark my milestones.
  11. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This is a good idea. Like an anniversary. I guess I usually buy something. When I make a good amount of money saving it to me is more of an achievement. I like to see it accumulate. Buying things doesn't actually give me as much satisfaction. Unless it is something that I've been really wanting to get. It is more about needs than wants.