An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How do you reward yourself when you reach a goal?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Cheeky_Chick, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

One of the most important things to do when you are trying to reach an ultimate goal is to give yourself rewards along the way, in my opinion. So, for that reason, you should always have something that you can look forward to.

I personally plan trips out to places that I have always wanted to go to, because that gives me motivation to stick to my goals, something to look forward to, and something to keep me busy as well as I have to plan for it. So overall, I think that having goals is a great thing!
  2. Whiskers

Whiskers Active Contributor

My way of rewarding myself for goals achieved is to go out and have some fun. This involves doing things that I do not ordinarily do. Top on the list is going out with my friends to the country where there are many activities such as cycling and hiking. If in town a good massage does me good.
    Winterybella likes this.
  3. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

A nice meal out with the wife.
    It's nice not to have to cook and she loves it as well.
    We use it to mark milestones in our life, so we can pray and reflect on all the abundance God has given us.
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

It really depends on what the goal is. If I accomplish something big I will treat myself to a new outfit or take the kids somewhere for the day. If it is small then I will treat myself to a nice meal or rent a movie I have been wanting to see.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I buy myself expensive stuff, or put the money aside to spend a beautiful night with my girlfriend. I don't do this when I reach my initial goal though, I do it throughout the process to keep myself motivated. Buying an expensive watch or piece of technology can go a long way in motivating me to keep moving forward.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I'm much the same as you! It's dependent on what the goal is. If it's a short term goal I'll generally reward myself at the end. If it's a longer term goal, I try to set little milestones along the way - so perhaps every month or so if it's a goal that spans the course of a year, for instance.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

So true that having goals is great and that can be a motivation to continuously do something to reach that goal.
    I also go out to reward myself even it is not an out of town and just a trip to the mall. I enjoy walking in the park as well and eating favorite foods.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I don't really reward myself at all. I just have the satisfaction that I am being true to myself and beliefs. I'm sticking to my guns and I see it in the faces of the people around me that I'm doing well, and I look forward to a new day and another milestone.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

That's a good way to look at it - and I guess rather than the reward being something "physical" it's more just your own personal satisfaction and knowing that others are proud of you!
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I buy myself a gift each time I get through a week without touching drugs. Since I like movies a lot, I realized that the best way to keep myself focussed is to reward myself with a new DVD each week [I don't watch movies twice]. Failure to stay strong would result in having to spend the week without watching movies. It's a good enough incentive for me . . .
    Winterybella likes this.
  11. Lain

Lain Member

I usually reward myself by going out to a nice place or buying myself something that I've wanted for sometime. I have a list of "wants" and I just pick something from the list and reward myself.
    Winterybella likes this.
  12. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Yes, this is a good strategy to have. Always reward yourself with something when you achieve a goal, it makes the process all that more easier. It also helps to provide that extra bit of motivation when recovery tends to drag or be difficult. I always rewarded myself with buying something nice for myself or with a bit of travel. It certainly did help and I always advice others to do the same.
  13. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

Buying something that I always wanted to have since a lot of time. For example for my last achievement I bought myself a new chair for staying at the computer which is really comfortable.
  14. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Rewarding yourself is very important as it motivates you to go a step further and achieve your goals. Personally, i do review my goals from time to time and whenever i strike my intended target, i reward my self with any new accessory be it a watch or a new phone. There is always that feel-good-feeling whenever you reach a certain milestone and i guess there's no harm in rewarding yourself.
  15. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Lately I’ve started going to classes I’ve always wanted to try as a way to reward myself, especially if they’re fairly cheap. I do still buy myself a nice little trinket from time to time as well, but I’m finding that I’d rather pay for experiences than things these days - I have more than enough. Plus trying new things really boosts my confidence, which always helps keep me going.
  16. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

As for me, I just reward myself with simple things like a new book, shopping for clothes, etc. But nowadays, whenever I have reached my goals, I would then find time to travel. I think that's one of the best things/presents you could ever give to yourself. First-hand experiences are really awesome.
  17. 6up

6up Community Champion

A successful project motivates me to continue with other projects that have stalled. As a way of rewarding myself, I do buy latest technology gadgets. I can also go out with friends and have a small party.
  18. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I agree with you, rewarding yourself could be really motivating for a lot of people, maybe I should try it. I currently have a couple of goals but none of them seems very reachable for me at this point of my life, but planning a reward when I get to accomplish one of them can be a great way to focus on those goals and keep motivated...
    Thank you for posting!
  19. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, I think it does help to have rewards along the way to keep up your motivation and keep yourself encouraged. It could be something as simple as allowing yourself to watch a favored TV program, or even taking a walk with a friend. Obviously, it varies from person to person, as to what you find rewarding, but having things to look forward to, and ways to reward yourself for staying on track is always a good thing.
  20. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I am not really in the habit of rewarding myself after every job well done. I might become too complacent if I do that. When I feel happy over a recent achievement, I have the tendency to buy lots of food and share it with family, friends or workmates. Sometimes, I do random things for total strangers. I just try to give back the blessings I received. When you're able to help others or make them happy, it's more rewarding.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015