An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How do you stay motivated after quitting smoking?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Femiluv, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Femiluv

Femiluv Active Contributor

Any strategies you use to help you to not slip? Any strategies that help you cope after you slip? Does drinking alcohol have to always mean game over especially in the first few weeks? How do you stay motivated after the initial high and excitement from quitting?
  2. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

It helps to replace one addiction with the other. I used exercise to help me cope. When I was super winded then it just proved to me that my body was not what it used to be before smoking.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The reasons for giving up an addiction will differ from individual to individual. It's always advisable for those fighting addictions to write down the reasons why they are quitting. Any time they feel weak, they can find their list of reasons, read them and that I suppose can help anyone fighting any addicting stay motivated.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't think you ever truly get over it. I've heard from people who have quit for many decades and even they say they still want to smoke. I think overall it's just being able to remind yourself daily that you are doing it to not die as quickly as you would when on them, which is why it helps when people find something bigger than themselves that they want to live longer for.
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Try to stay focused on other things to take your mind off it, perhaps take up a hobby. Don't give yourself time to be bored - make sure there's always something there to prevent boredom. Reward yourself and be proud of your achievements knowing that you're better off, you have more money, you don't smell of smoke or have as many burns in your clothes/furniture, you're healthier, etc - you see, there are so many more reasons for giving up smoking than there are for continuing to smoke.
  6. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

This is a hard one, I'm not a smoker, but I am a former alcoholic and addict. I'd say you are the one who needs to find the best way to stay motivated. When I want to do something or stop doing something I make a list, a very honest and open list stating the things I don't like about my current situation (I made one about my food addiction lately) and why I want to stop doing what I do. It worked when I wanted to lose weight, sometimes you have to dig deeper and find out why your real reasons behind your decision.
  7. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

At first I chewed gum until my jaws hurt because I needed something to do. I eventually gave up gum and just chose some good foods to eat as a treat to myself. I do not eat excessively, but I would eat food that was a treat so that I have something to look forward too. The key is just not to replace one habit with another.
  8. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

There were some times when I was telling myself that I should start smoking again, because it would make me feel more relaxed. But then I realized that it would mean to start destroying my health again and kick away all my progress. I just looked back at my old life and reminded how I used to stay with some people only because we were "smoking buddies". I didn't want this to happen again, so I continued my life as it was.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I think it will get easier, I'm not sure if that craving for a cigarette ever goes away fully. To keep you motivated, your going to have to remember what made you want to quit in the first place and focus on the positive. Look at how better your life is since giving up, that can help keep a person motivated.
  10. 6up

6up Community Champion

I have learnt to live positively. Now I know the effects of alcohol and that has contributed to not slipping again. I had to avoid friends who influenced me into drinking. Now I can be busy doing something else. I see how alcohol continue to affect people and that motivates me not to get back to taking alcohol.
  11. mercshe

mercshe Member

I wanted to keep my good relationship with my loving family and loved ones, that kept me from quitting both alcohol and cigar. Aside from that, they are the same support people whom I counsel with whenever I feel stressed or anxious about something. Before, I clang to smoking to deal with difficulties especially when pile of school works are pending for submission. That drove me crazy. Yes, it eased the tension but don't address the real problem. Another factor was seeing my friend suffering from cocaine addiction. I told myself I will never get in that point that I will become so thin and ugly. Lol.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

For me it was about working on different strategies for managing stress.

I mainly used cigarettes as a stress release and way to calm down when situations made me feel upset, or angry, or whatever. So it was about honestly getting to the root cause of those issues -- otherwise I was always going to feel like I needed a cigarette as a fallback any time I got into one of those situations.

Meditation worked for me, and just working out in general. I guess all those endorphins help, right?