An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How do you tell if someone's a heroin addict?

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by shindiggermate, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Is there even a way to tell?
    Besides witnessing? Won't they let off like, some kind of symptom or change in there personalities?
  2. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

Of course there are signs that someone is an addict but different people may exhibit different signs and some people can actually hide them very well (I mean it is a bit of a myth that all heroin addicts are skinny, gaunt with bad teeth - there have been many cases of professional people getting hooked to heroin, including of course doctors who have access to these medicines - you can hold it together on heroin but it depends how hard you want to and how much you fight the negative effects of the drug).
  3. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

One of the negative effects of taking heroin over time is that it reduces your motivation and desire to carry out simple tasks that we all do and take for granted: for example heroin addicts often stop caring about their appearance so it's not uncommon for an addict to forget to wash or change their clothes: a sudden lack of interest in ones appearance could be a tell-tale sign that someone is addicted to heroin.
    Of course 'rotten teeth' is a visual effect that is associated with heroin, although this isn't something that happens overnight: sustained use of the drug is what makes an addicts teeth rot. Also I think it is caused more by smoking the drug than injecting it. One of the side effects of heroin though is it can cause the user to crave sweet food (a bit like cannabis users getting 'the munchies'). For some reason heroin makes users crave sweet, sugary substances (obviously not good for your teeth). This, combined with a tendency to not look after yourself (so forgetting to clean your teeth for example) will rot a persons teeth in no time. I was addicted to heroin for three years and after a few months of sustained use I started having really big urges to eat sweets, chocolate bars and cakes (I even started dreaming about chocolate cake!). I didn't know why at first but then it clicked - it was the heroin. Some mornings I would wake up and go straight down to the bakery at the bottom of the road and come back with a box of cream cakes which I would then consume for breakfast. It makes me feel sick now just thinking about it! Fortunately I had a boyfriend, so that meant a reason to look after myself properly (including brushing my teeth!), and I don't have any physical signs of my addiction (i've been clean now for 3 months btw)
  4. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

An outward sign of addiction is for the user to lose weight, sometimes rapidly. Apart from the odd craving for sugary comestibles in general drugs will kill your appetite so users rarely feed themselves properly and when they do it's not a healthy nutritious diet they adopt (when I did ordain to feed myself it was either junkfood or a ready meal - something that took no time or effort to prepare). I stopped eating fruit and veg completely for the three years I was on smack.
    Another reason an addict might not eat is because they might not have the money to eat (if it comes down to a choice between feeding oneself or having a fix the latter wins every time).
  5. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

Track marks. Sunken in face. Skinny. Ill looking. Blood shot eyes. As for personality, when my friend was on heroin he would have a lot of freak outs and just get angry and fight people/punch walls for no reason. But I think it depends on the person since I know people who's personalities didn't change at all.
  6. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

A person eats foods which have a high intake of sugar, and also, salt which is not good when taken a in a big amount and the person may eat a bigger portion of sweets or even a container of ice cream. The eyes and also, how they speak can be a telling sign that the person is taking heroin and the person does not have much motivation to do anything else and think about the food or drug all the time. I have seen some people I know, have mood swings and say things when addicted and also the face is different and also weight loss can occur.
  7. seatones

seatones Member

It can be hard to tell with some people, but I think a telling sign is shady behavior that isn't explainable at all. Bailing on their obligations with you, hanging out with the wrong crowd or a crowd that they don't really fit in with, leaving for long periods of time for no reason. If you are with them and they seem unusually dazed or nod out, it should be pretty obvious. I think to really tell if someone is an addict you have to observe them for a long period of time because people have off days and even weeks. They often won't really eat or be that great at communicating, and can be very moody especially when they are dry.
  8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

The fact that they can't stay focused for even 2 seconds or they're constantly moving their feet/hands means that they may have a problem with heroin.
    Alas, if they're acting shady and you know that the person has an history with heroin then you should consider they are using this substance.
  9. Danyell

Danyell Community Champion

I have been a heroin addict for years and I would consider myself a very functional addict. I have an amazing job, can pay my bills, ect.

Physical signs for me was when I first started shooting up I lost probably like 15 pounds. Then also my body is covered in track marks. Ranging from my arms, legs, feet, pretty much everywhere. But for me, I have never been the type of addict to let their physical appearance slide. Ever morning I shower and do my hair/makeup and whatnot. I never really let that slide at all unless I was extremely dope sick to where I couldn't.

Then personality changes for me has just been being shady and hiding things. I have isolated myself as well.

I would say some universal signs of heroin use would be pin point pupils, wearing long shirts all the time to hide track marks, excessive spending, also if the person is high then they will probably be itchy too.
  10. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Exactly! Not all heroin addicts may show off signs allowing others to detect them. In fact first thing an addict does is trying to avoid others discover this addiction, whether is heroin ,alcohol or other drugs.

Obviously when a person is high, addiction is more than obvious, but while in apparent sobriety, I wouldn't rule my criteria by signs and symptoms addicts might be hiding.