An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How far back does a hair follicle test for cocaine go?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by pchez01, Nov 8, 2014.

1. pchez01

pchez01 Member

My friend has been doing an awesome job of stay clean but the program that she is in wants to do a follicle test on her and she is afraid because she did relapse one time back in June. She has been totally clean since then and she has passed all of the weekly drug test that they give but they told her that the hair follicle test can go back a year. So I was just wondering is that true?
  2. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I'm not an expert but from what I understand it should be present in your hair until you cut it off, but the lower parts close to the follicles itself or the root have a chance of not having substance in them if you stopped for months. Basically, hair grows at around .5 inches per month so if you were sober for 3 months, the 1.5 inches of hair from the root that grew in in that time period, which is the part that is usually tested, should be clean, while the remainder will have remnants, still. If you want to be sure before going to the official test then try getting some home testing kits first. Congratulations to your friend on staying clean and I hope she gets the job and continues on with her success.
  3. Martisa

Martisa Member

Cocaine can stay in your hair for around 90 days! If your friend has been clean since June she should have nothing to worry about! I'm not an expert, but I am 99% sure it does not go back 1 year! Have your friend trim 1 inch of her hair prior to the test! If theres any drugs in her hair by now it would be in the ends of her hair!
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Yeah, I agree also. It should be only 90 days. Give or take a week or so. But good for her for getting cleaned up and continuing to do so.
  5. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

The best thing she can do is to take a pre test of her own hair and see what the results will say, that way she is sure.
  6. Sarah

Sarah Member

Hair grows at approximately five inches a month so therefore and apart from police who can test any part of the hair they like most follicle tests are done from the root. By this time the hair would have grown out to the ends of the hair so she should be fine.
  7. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

There is mixed reviews about how far back the tests can go. 90 days, 3 years, 5 years, I would imagine it has to do with the quality of the test. What they are looking for. I would imagine the one you speak of is for a 90 day test. Understanding hair structure more than the test it would make sense to me that if the hair was present on your head when you did the drug it will show. If you have long hair for instance and do some drugs. It is in your system and your hair grows out of your head. Unless you cut your hair short or shave your head. It is going to show. Hair grows approximately 1/4 of an inch a month. The test I would imagine goes from the root to an inch and a half or so.
  8. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

I think it's about six months.
  9. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I know someone that has to be drug tested, and the person shaved his head before the test. They took a hair from his arm pit.
  10. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but what is the point of doing these tests? To shame the person if they detected some trace amount in their hair from some brief relapse? I think this is losing sight of the bigger picture - if the person went from doing cocaine daily or several times a week to doing it only a couple of times in a matter of months, that is a huge accomplishment overall. It would be terrible for someone to make it 6 months clean then have them come back and criticize them because they detected some small amount of cocaine in their hair from that one or two days where they relapsed. Not to mention, I thought the hair follicle tests were rather expensive, aren't they? If so, who is paying for all this testing?
  11. cheeto

cheeto Member

It depends on the person and hair growth rate, but the rule of thumb is anywhere 3-6 months. Most people are fine after 3 but after 6 it's pretty much guaranteed.