An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How Far Would You Go?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by gracer, Apr 30, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

If someone you love has a terminal illness and he/she is in so much pain, would you take the risk of him/her becoming dependent to the point of becoming addicted to pain killers as long as you know you're helping him/her relieve the pain?

If your doctor told you that your family member is so sick that there's nothing more he/she could do to cure him, would you graciously accept it and watch your loved one slowly die? What if you hear of an option that could wishfully cure your loved one's illness but has the risk of becoming addictive, would you take that risk even if it's not proven to be a sure cure?

These questions have been on my mind for quite some time now ever since I learned that someone I know is dying of a terminal illness. The family is not losing hope of finding at least something that could extend his life even for a little more. Even the option of considering marijuana as a hopeful cure to his cancer. I know nothing has been proven about it but it's what's keeping their family hopeful at least for now. When they thought of giving up, they somehow found this answer. It's not a promising answer but they are hoping for a miracle. They say they have nothing to lose now because he's dying anyway. They might as well do everything to fight for his life rather than watch him die without doing anything.

It might be irrational in the eyes of some people but I fully understand what this family is going through. Maybe if I were also in their situation I would also do something similar. I would go far to fight for the one I love.
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about the current situation of your friend. Well, I must say that's a difficult one to deal with. I mean, seeing your loved one slowly dying is just too painful, but yeah, you're right. As long as that person lives, there's still hope. As long as that person breathes, there's no reason to give up. Just keep on holding on. Just keep on fighting.
    gracer likes this.
  3. gracer

Thank you for your sentiment @dyanmarie25. I seem to be too affected by my friend's situation because she has been openly expressing how painful it is for her to watch her father slowly succumbing to his illness. I actually admire her family's strength and fighting spirit to not give up on their terminally ill member. I just hope they would be able to handle it well if things turn for the worst.
  4. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

This is a gruesome dilemma. I, for one, would always go by whatever the dying person wishes to do to himself. If (s)he wants to pass away pain-free, then so be it. If (s)he feels (s)he's strong enough to put up a resistance against the disease a while longer, then I got his/her back. However, if that person is unable to communicate and I know (s)he's in a great deal of pain, I'd probably decide to let him/her expire in a narcotic daze. What good is it to keep someone artificially alive if (s)he's in excruciating pain? The humane thing is to let our beloved one go. That's just my perspective on it.
    gracer likes this.
  5. gracer

You have a point @imperivm1. Watching someone you love dying of a terminal illness is so painful to do. When I think about it, sometimes a sudden death is easier to be dealth with by the family member of someone who died because of the thought that he/she didn't suffer as much as someone who died of a terminal illness.
  6. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

When my dad was sick years ago, I remember the doctor telling us he wouldn't get any better and how he was going to die. What was so odd about the situation was it felt like a rollercoaster, he would be really down and then he would have a major improvement and then go back down. Every time we got our hopes up, they would fall back down.My family and I fought to keep him alive with what we could do and never gave up on him no matter what the doctor said.
    gracer likes this.
  7. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

Five years ago the man who raised me suddenly died from brain aneurysm. He was my dad's kid brother and since my dad was never home, he looked after and never gave up even if all I ever did was give him problems. He never told us but he probably knew he could go at any time but what I do know is that it never stopped him from living his life the he wanted. He didn't give up, he didn't succumb to self pity either. If by chance it happens to me again, I won't give up on the person I care about. Even if there is no hope for recovery, I want that person to be able to live their life to the fullest. Experience what they still can - go to places they still want to see.
    gracer likes this.
  8. gracer

@E.Mil, @RingoBerry Those are very heartwarming stories. I'm sorry for both your losses. A person could really go far to fight for someone he/she loves. It's really hard to just let go and let things be when the one you love so deeply is involved. I admire your strength and courage in accepting your loss.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Rather than decide on my own, I'd let the person have the final say. It's their life anyway. As much as I love them, even if they decide to pursue an option against my better judgment, then I'd let them. I'm not a firm believer of either-or situations, though. Although you presented two options, I don't really box myself in what I see before me. There's always going to be a better way.
    gracer likes this.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think I would go towards the holistic route, although it's not a guarantee that it will be effective, but at least I tried. If that didn't work, then what can I do but let nature and destiny take it's course right?
    gracer likes this.
  11. gracer

Just an update on the cancer stricken man's situation. His family returned him to the hospital upon his request because he couldn't take his symptoms anymore. His sickness is slowly draining everything out of him but he still has the will to fight for his life. Things haven't improved at all. So his only consolation right now is the hope of a painless death. Strong pain relievers are now being given to him to somehow relieve him of his agony.