An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How Have You Been Doing Lately?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by gracer, May 2, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I can say that I've been sober for years now. Aside from the occassional drinks during parties and special events, I must say I have been doing good. With the help and inspiration my family is giving me, I've never thought of ever returning to a life of wasted drinking.

I have already come into terms with my inner issues a long time ago and that is one big factor that helped me lead a better life. How about you guys? How have you been doing lately? What are your sources of happiness and inspiration these days?
    kana_marie likes this.
  2. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

That's a nice experience to hear, I'm glad you found something that helped you be in a better lie. My happiness and inspiration comes from the fact I'm alive right now and I'm living in the present and I'm happy that way. I guess there's a lot of stress I go through daily. Having love from family, my girlfriend and my friends really help, I'm glad I have all the support I have. I always struggle to be grateful but when I am, I feel peace.
    gracer likes this.
  3. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I'm doing good. I'm at 3 years sober. I still have an occasional craving, but it isn't anything I can't fight. When I do have an issue, I just come here and talk about it.
    gracer likes this.
  4. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I've come to the conclusion that my source of happiness is my health. When I'm healthy I'm feeling great and nothing else matters. Problems seem petty and insignificant if I'm in perfect health. Nothing trumps that.
    gracer likes this.
  5. kh6912

kh6912 Member

My kids are my daily reminder of why I'm still here. Hard to believe it's been 8 years, but dealing with family and friends going through it now keep everything fresh in my mind. I have a hard time understanding and accepting how those people can still choose to go back to substance abuse even once they become parents, so the biggest thing I'm having to work on now is empathizing and trying to show the same love that was shown to me when I was getting clean.
    gracer likes this.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I'm actually going through a rough time right now, but what keeps me going is the hope that one day, things will eventually get better. Right now, my source of happiness and inspiration these days is my cat, lol his mere presence soothes me, and my faith in God.
    kana_marie and gracer like this.
  7. kana_marie

I don't think it's because they don't want to. I think it's what they know. For me it got to a point where I couldn't even walk all the way to the bathroom unless I was high. No way would i have been able to take care of a newborn without a pill to put me in the mood. Also, being high made me not care about other people. I only cared after I sobered up.
    gracer likes this.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

This site has given me a good reminder of why I should stay sober and clean. There are a lot of horror stories. I have mine. But to read how far along other people are and they destruction it has done to their lives is a grim reminder why I should stop now.
  9. kh6912

kh6912 Member

This is basically what my friend told me. When she was tweaking, she didn't care about anything or anyone (except apparently her daughter, who is the person she "zoomed in on" during her weeklong no-sleep. But once she came down, she would realize all the horrible things she had said to us and her family and regret everything, and the way she dealt with that was just to get high again. It's a vicious cycle. I'm hoping she finds what she needs to stay clean.
  10. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

My source of inspiration is and will always will be my immediate family. They are the reason I'm here on this earth and it is only fitting that I do the right thing and honor them by makeing a better person out of myself and not an empty shell of a person I have been while using. They are my salvation.
    gracer likes this.
  11. gracer

I'm glad most of you guys have managed to stay sober and inspired to do so. It takes a lot of self-discipline and perseverance to stay sober. I hope our stories serve as examples and inspiration for people who are still struggling right now.

@serenity I'm glad you have a strong faith in God which is your greatest strength right now. Trust that whatever you're going through right now, He will be there to carry your burden with you. :)
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Definitely for me it's my husband and daughter. They're both the lights of my life and there's nothing I want more than their happiness and for them to be proud of me as a wife and mother. That's my motivation. Life is good now - I don't feel the urge or need to go back to old habits. I remember about the wasted time and wasted opportunities I had in the past because of drinking and it's not in a million years worth going back to that...and I love that I feel that way now.
  13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I've been doing really great these days. I don't drink, smoke, or take drugs. Life has been so good to me, and I feel blessed everyday.
    gracer likes this.
  14. kana_marie

Calling it a vicious cycle seems like an understatement. But yeah, that's exactly what it's like. It's a lot easier to pop another pill than deal with the horrible things i did.
    gracer likes this.
  15. serenity

@gracer, That's what I would like to think as well, like the phrase, "This too, shall pass." I'm actually looking forward to the light at the end of the tunnel. May His will be done! :)
    gracer likes this.
  16. gracer

You sure will reach that light as long as you keep on moving forward. Your faith in God is really admirable so I know you'll get through any obstacle you'll ever encounter. I too found inner peace when I finally laid everything up to Him. :)
  17. kana_marie

Congrats! I love good news. :D
    There are not nearly enough good news anymore.
    gracer likes this.
  18. serenity

I think during the hard times that we experience, we really should have faith in God instead of blaming Him (which I did before), because if we blame Him, we will only be adding stress and depression into our turbulent lives.
    gracer likes this.
  19. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Thank you for asking. I here am doing quite well. It's been so long since I had a drink that I can't even remember any more what it tastes like. I do get down from time to time, but it's mainly due to the long term injuries that I sustained during a very abusive childhood. In other words, the chronic pain that has resulted from the spinal injuries that were inflicted upon me by my parents in my early years, occasionally drags me down, but thankfully only for short periods of time. When that happens, I go swimming more often than usual and find peace just floating in the water.
  20. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

You've come a long way. Now you just have to maintain the momentum and keep going, since you are no doubt in the right path. I am likewise doing good. So far, it's been a monotonous everyday with occasional diversions and moments of fun. This sounds cliche but one of the easiest way to get through life is to just take everything with a grain of salt.