An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How have you resisted the urge?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Janie, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

How have you resisted the urge to start using again? If you have a bad day and feel like using, what have you done to be able to stop yourself? It takes a lot to be so strong. Is there anything you do that helps keep your will power up?
  2. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I haven't had any strong urges to use again but there have been times where I felt defeated in a sense!
    When I feel like that, I usually remove myself from the situation that might be taking me back to how it felt using, for example if I am around friends and they are drinking alcohol I just excuse myself and find a peaceful place to sit. I also find that playing music that i love soothes me as well as talking to someone in support of my quest of staying sober.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I find that distracting myself immediately is the best way to get over this. I generally need to talk to someone else so I can let them know how I am feeling and allow them to be the "voice of reason". I don't mind if I do this in person, over the phone or even on a forum like this, I just sometimes need someone to talk me out of things.
    imperivm1 likes this.
  4. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Find something else to dedicate time on. From hobbies to another job to earn more money, try occupying your time so you find you have less and less times to think about it. Eventually the stronger urges will subside.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I stay away from anything that might act as a trigger that will drive my cravings to extreme levels that I can't be able to resist. For me if I avoid the triggers and just be in public places that will help a little get my mind of the substance. When I can't go out then I'll grab up my bible and read it. Kills the negative thoughts pretty fast.
  6. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Have a diversion. Keep yourself busy with things that interest you. For instance, if you like taking care of pets, have more than one and spend your time with them when you're upset. If you feel the urge at home, leave the house immediately. Be somewhere else where it is impossible for you to give in to the temptation to do it again. Anything that will keep your mind occupied and your time wisely spent can divert your focus to something more worthwhile. Good luck Janie!
  7. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Something that has helped me is to take a step back and consider how much money I am going to waste that evening - even if it's $35 on a half gallon of liquor, or $120 on a bag of cocaine, or $65 on a carton of smokes - and then think about other things I've been wanting instead, and could put that money towards instead of blowing on a few hours of getting drunk and or high. Furthermore, do the math and add up how much this is totaling monthly, and think of all the other fun things you could have done with it instead, like go on vacation or buy a new computer. Then start making some plans/arrangements to make these things happen instead so you have something different to look forward to and be excited about.
  8. changingcups

changingcups Member

I really feel that the best thing I can do is keep myself busy. If I keep myself busy then it distracts my thoughts and I think about other things. Its the days when I have nothing to do that I think about smoking and drinking.
  9. Shimus

I also suggest picking up additional hobbies. Not only do they fill time, they allow you to become passionate about a topic or subject that otherwise you wouldn't have had to due to destructive natures (addictions) such as Boating, Gaming, Art, or Music. Hell, even grab a knife and carve some wood into some figurines (whittling). Anything is better then sitting around doing nothing because that inevitably leads back into addictions or abuse.
  10. 003

003 Community Champion

Resisting the urge would be really hard and there would be times that you are just going to give in. I mean you can't resist urge forever, you can't. You might be able to resist the urge for a day, for a week, for a year, but if it's there, there is going to be a time that you are just going to give in. So the first thing that you have to do is to forget that urge. How? Destruct yourself, do something that's going to get your mind preoccupied, that you wouldn't have time to think about having a session with your substance. Don't give it a chance to again get into your mind and trick you. Never let yourself alone, always be in the company of other good people. If you keep on doing this, you'd eventually forget the urge. It will eventually be killed. The key is to form a new habit to replace your vice.
  11. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Active Contributor

It's mind over matter, I tend to think of the end results. The end result to an addiction is never a good one and that alone keeps me focused. Don't let your mind get side tracked into thinking this drug is going to solve any problem, because in the end it never does, it only creates more problems.
  12. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I try to drink some juice or water when the urge for alcohol hits me. I also try to do something fun like gaming or watching a movie. Reading about the tragedies that alcohol has caused is also a deterrent for drinking. Try and not put yourself in an environment that promotes drinking.
  13. Later that night, I crept down the street, avoiding the tanks the rolled down the streets. I open the door to the house carefully, avoiding any creaks. I don’t want anyone waking up to see that I am robing our ‘saviors’. I sneak steadily down the hall, looking for anything that I could eat. At last I found the food vault. To my surprise I did not see any guards at that moment. I filled my hands up with everything I could manage to fit in my small arms. My happiness was short lived.
  14. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Believe it or not, the one way I stayed away from the bottle is by getting a second job. By doing so I had no time to indulge in drinking.

In other words keeping yourself busy is the best way to keep clean. If you have no extra time for yourself and to get bored, then you won't have time to drink, period.
  15. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Yup, as Josh has already said. Keep yourself busy at all time. If your mind is busy and on other things, you won't think about using. A second job, hobby, any and all activities that would be a positive in your life should be looked into.
  16. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Friends supported me through the all my tough times and I know I would dissapoint them if I start using substances or drinking alcohol again. I value them more than some toxic addictions and that motivates me everyday to stay sober.
  17. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It will really take a strong mind of self control to avoid the urge especially if you once an alcoholic. I just tasted some alcoholic drinks and good thing I do not liked those. So, even I was being force to drink by peers, they never succeed. :)
  18. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Everyone of us has bad days, and sometimes, disappointments and depression could lead to abusing substances again. That should never be the case. Just because you had a bad day doesn't mean you already have a bad life, and now you want to ruin everything. You just have to try to be a little positive, chant a mantra, do a good activity, listen to music, or read a book. Surely, one of those things could take your mind off your past addictions.
  19. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I am too distracted to even spare a thought about using. Writing is not only my bread and butter but also my form of therapy. So whenever I'm on the verge of breaking down, I just write all my anxieties away. It works for me. You just have to find one undertaking that prevents you from spiraling downward. If it heals your soul, all the more reason to pursue it.
  20. Shimus

As xTinx put it, you gotta find what does it for yourself personally. If it's a route you feel happy pursuing or it's a hobby you thoroughly enjoy; lose yourself to it. Let it heal your soul. There is no better way to mend your heart then to take it one step a time through an activity you thoroughly enjoy.